carbon trims vs 4D carbon wrap

T3nnant

Reaction score
Iv always been a fan of carbon and I was looking into the carbon inlay trim but I couldn't justify paying the prices for them... (cheapskate Iknow hah)

so iv used vinyl wrap in the past and thought id try again, this time I found 4D vinyl which look promising. I ordered a sample sheet and it looked good!

next I got around to ordering a roll, with plans to wrap all the aluminium trim inside the car.

not perfect but doesn't look bad at all. Few tiny creases on corners, but im not that much of a pro.

bit of a comparison

this is which I start to like it!

makes me want to finish the rest, but im busy for the next couple of days, so hopefully have some more done by weekend!

Reactions: stewartrae9
the pics don't really capture the glossy nature of it. ill try get some it better light conditions

Reactions: stewartrae9
looking good bro! keep it up! where did you get the wrap from? would do this but i have very small amount of chrome or aluminium inside my a3...

Reactions: T3nnant
Looks good, think it would look better if you'd split the chrome away from the gear surround and ashtray before wrapping then replaced it. Looks a bit more professional.
I did mine in 3m Di Noc but it didn't like the heat during last years summer, started wrinkling back at the corners and tight bits, ended up removing it.

Just ordered some to do mine, want some clear to do the top of the back bumper where the tailgate lifts, had my bumper painted a while back and have already marked it several times putting things in the back, will get it painted again and try some clear wrap if I can find some.

Just ordered some to do mine, want some clear to do the top of the back bumper where the tailgate lifts, had my bumper painted a while back and have already marked it several times putting things in the back, will get it painted again and try some clear wrap if I can find some.

You need helicopter tape

yea I was going to keep the chrome bit around the gearstick, but honestly didn't think it would look right with no other chrome.
It was just a cheap fix really, was to cheap to pay for carbon but its hard to find it in decent nick

don't tempt me mate haha
after I refitted everything.... I actually started looking for more parts to do lol

Know the feeling, I'm actually looking at my TV right now, getting a bid fed up with the piano black.............................

How easy is it to apply the wrap? Do you need a heat gun? I want to get all my silver parts wrapped as they are all scratched to buggery.

How easy is it to apply the wrap? Do you need a heat gun? I want to get all my silver parts wrapped as they are all scratched to buggery.

Depends how confident you are ;)

iv done a bit in the past so I know the basics, but it can be quite challenging.
It stretches ok but depending on the vinyl print on it might distort.

I used a hairdryer :)
its cheap enough stuff to buy and can be used in a lot of places. Buy a sheet and have a mess about... if it doesn't work out just peel it off :)

the silver trim unclips from the back

sorry yet that part just pulls off
i thought you ment the silver trim on the inner part of that

the actual surround just pops up, easily done.
there is a small chrome trim around that which looks like you will need to bend the tabs up and remove, which I might do, see how it goes.

Just done one of the long door trims, 20 mins from taking off to refitting, quit easy really, looks good in the dark ha ha, see what it's like in the morning.

Just done one of the long door trims, 20 mins from taking off to refitting, quit easy really, looks good in the dark ha ha, see what it's like in the morning.

Hardest part I found was the fact I didn't have 3 hands.... holding it with one hand while heating and trying to pul down around edges sucked.
get some pics up of yours too mate

Take some tomoz, three hands !!!!! You should try it like me I've only got two fingers on my left hand after an accident in October.

that looks good mate! and you have some serious skill! haha

what happened with your hand? looks sore :0

Today, this happened....

got around to wrapping the main larger piece and smaller light piece.

im pretty happy with the results :)

That was going to be my next question, do the facia bits pull out, seems not. yours looks good, may have to try & do mine in situ, did the gearstick surround tonight but not the ashtray lid yet, can't see how that comes out.

As my username suggests I'm a joiner, was working on a spindle moulder and a piece of timber snatched backwards as i was pushing it through, my left hand was the one pushing the wood against the fence & it was all to quick to pull my hand out of the way. sore !!!! no it ****** hurts.

That was going to be my next question, do the facia bits pull out, seems not. yours looks good, may have to try & do mine in situ, did the gearstick surround tonight but not the ashtray lid yet, can't see how that comes out.

As my username suggests I'm a joiner, was working on a spindle moulder and a piece of timber snatched backwards as i was pushing it through, my left hand was the one pushing the wood against the fence & it was all to quick to pull my hand out of the way. sore !!!! no it ****** hurts.

oh nasty! not good at all man.
still a joiner? haha

the 2 bits that iv done tonight on the dash are bolted in. and the ashtray also is a bit tricky.
I should have made a guide but it didn't cross my mind!

although I did find this for you mate, B6/B7 Audi A4/S4/RS4 Interior Trim Removal Guide — Nick's Car Blog

Jeez, that looks horrendous. I'm a keen diyer with a healthy selection of power tools, worst injury (so far) was almost cutting off my left thumb with a ragged bit of steel spinning on a stuck drill bit and watching some of my knuckle skin flying out the exhaust port of my planner, baby stuff compared to that though.
Currently building a garden room but starting to have second thoughts, anyone want to buy a circular saw, in fact also a compound mitre, that one's really scares me!

Finished doing mine, couldn't for the life of me get the light switch out so did that panel in situ, wasn't to hard really took about 15 mins
Results

The lights switch just pops out push turn clockwise and pull.

It might help with a push from the back when the lower trim is out. Never had a problem to be honest. Also the 4d looks nice I put the carbon on mine a few weeks ago but it was just Matt effect.

looks good joinerman, I think im going to redo the center bit as it looks better with the chrome coming through!
the lightswitch got me too. but a little bit of digging realised that you have to push it in and between 1 and 0 wiggle haha.