CARBON CLEAN

Raul_Breganzo

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone had a carbon clean done on their car and what benefits have you seen?
My car isn't giving me any problems but the idea of paying £50 to get it cleaned seems like a great opportunity!
Your thoughts please???

''The engine carbon clean is a service to clean the inside if your engine to restore all the lost power, performance, mpg and lower emissions by cleaning the whole combustion chamber inlet outlet manifold and turbo''

I had it done a week after buying my S3.
Takes about 40 mins to complete and is worth it IMO.
There was visible smoke during the process at the beginning and as it got towards the end the exhaust note sounded deeper and more burbly, and the smoke had ceased and the engine was running cleaner.
During the process the guy who did mine was monitoring live data and detected a slight misfire in Cyl 3 and even called TPS on my behalf to arrange a new Coilpack using his company to get me a discount. I took advantage of that and ordered another 3 while I was there and changed them all with a new set of iridium spark plugs at the same time.

I did notice the car felt more responsive after the treatment and felt more alive. I'd certainly get it done again in the future, and if you can get it done for £50 then it's a bargain.

Reactions: Raul_Breganzo
Hi

Has anyone had a carbon clean done on their car and what benefits have you seen?
My car isn't giving me any problems but the idea of paying £50 to get it cleaned seems like a great opportunity!
Your thoughts please???

''The engine carbon clean is a service to clean the inside if your engine to restore all the lost power, performance, mpg and lower emissions by cleaning the whole combustion chamber inlet outlet manifold and turbo''
If you can get a correct Carbon Clean done for £50 your being ripped off

A walnut blasting is the best way to make everything spotless

Mine was £80 but the smoke that clears is probably the fluid they use burning. In the old days they used to use Redex that would smoke the neighbourhood out :)

Reactions: voorhees and Daveyonthemove
If you can get a correct Carbon Clean done for £50 your being ripped off

Haha are you mad, £50 for a carbon clean is a very good deal providing it’s the proper thing and not a cheap rip off.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Haha are you mad, £50 for a carbon clean is a very good deal providing it’s the proper thing and not a cheap rip off.
My post totally when over your head .:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Reactions: Patrick24 and voorhees
A walnut blasting is the best way to make everything spotless
That is the best way to get it as clean as possible, but the price is too much for most people when compared to the Carbon Clean.

Reactions: paddy
It's usually £79 per car but they have an offer on £100 for 2 cars.
Their reviews are pretty good...
I'm not sure what the 'proper' job is but I've stated what they refer to as engine carbon clean!

Can I write what their service is without getting in trouble?

P.s. How does remapping your car improve fuel efficiency/mpg?

I'm not sure what the 'proper' job is but I've stated what they refer to as engine carbon clean!

Can I write what their service is without getting in trouble?

P.s. How does remapping your car improve fuel efficiency/mpg?
If you happen to have a TSFI engine the best thing to get done is the walnut blasting which does more than just clean the engine . Look it up and compare to Carbon clean best advice .

Now do u understand why i said ripped off

I don't understand, why is that a rip off from the description of what work will be carried out?
Is there something missing? If so, care to elaborate???

No I don’t. If you’re trying to be funny, then it’s obviously not funny or I’m stupid?!
If you’re being serious then I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about.

No I don’t. If you’re trying to be funny, then it’s obviously not funny or I’m stupid?!
If you’re being serious then I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about.
Now if you look through the net and check companys who do this for a living you will find it hard to find any for £50 so that would tell me there not very good at it and if there doing 2 for the price off 1 again i would worry unless they where reputable. So thats why i put ripped off but so i hope that explains why in my 1st post i put ripped off but since i have had to explain it i gather it did go over your head but you are excused :thumbs up:. Now i am only trying to keep the right and you only get what you pay for and i wouldn't want him to throw his hard earned cash on something tjats doesn't sound right .

Now if you look through the net and check companys who do this for a living you will find it hard to find any for £50 so that would tell me there not very good at it and if there doing 2 for the price off 1 again i would worry unless they where reputable. So thats why i put ripped off but so i hope that explains why in my 1st post i put ripped off but since i have had to explain it i gather it did go over your head but you are excused :thumbs up:. Now i am only trying to keep the right and you only get what you pay for and i wouldn't want him to throw his hard earned cash on something tjats doesn't sound right .

They’re not doing 2 for the price of 1 though, they’re doing a deal if you get 2 cars done at the same time. It’s £79 or 2 for £100. I appreciate he didn’t put this in first post though.
If it were a one off cost of £50 then as prices are at the moment then I probably would stay away as I would probably think that is someone doing it on the cheap and probably isn’t doing a proper job.

They’re not doing 2 for the price of 1 though, they’re doing a deal if you get 2 cars done at the same time. It’s £79 or 2 for £100. I appreciate he didn’t put this in first post though.
If it were a one off cost of £50 then as prices are at the moment then I probably would stay away as I would probably think that is someone doing it on the cheap and probably isn’t doing a proper job.
Well maybe now u understand what i meant earlier on in this post about the £50 ripped off and i posted that b4 he mentioned the 2 cars for a 100 plus mind he was talking about his own getting done for £50 if you read the first post .
Now telling him that £50 is a great price and now coming back with your statement doesn't seem to help with advising him .
But now i am glad the matter is closed :thumbs up:

Well maybe now u understand what i meant earlier on in this post about the £50 ripped off and i posted that b4 he mentioned the 2 cars for a 100 plus mind he was talking about his own getting done for £50 if you read the first post .
Now telling him that £50 is a great price and now coming back with your statement doesn't seem to help with advising him .
But now i am glad the matter is closed :thumbs up:

If you look back you’ll see that I said £50 is a good price providing it’s the proper thing and not a cheap rip off and I still stand by that comment.
From my experience I don’t know any companies that do it for £50 for one car but at the end of the day I don’t know what he’s seen do I so maybe he has found a decent company that does it for £50.
On the other hand you just jumped straight in and told him it was a rip off when you knew nothing about it, that to me is unhelpful advice when you said nothing to back it up.

If you look back you’ll see that I said £50 is a good price providing it’s the proper thing and not a cheap rip off and I still stand by that comment.
From my experience I don’t know any companies that do it for £50 for one car but at the end of the day I don’t know what he’s seen do I so maybe he has found a decent company that does it for £50.
On the other hand you just jumped straight in and told him it was a rip off when you knew nothing about it, that to me is unhelpful advice when you said nothing to back it up.
If you understand my post ( went over your head ) being ripped off meant if he was getting it at £50 it wasn't what i would call a good deal . Again closed but if you wish the last word by all means have it

Technically it's £50 from so I didn't mislead anyone by stating
''My car isn't giving me any problems but the idea of paying £50 to get it cleaned seems like a great opportunity!''.
The way ch1z64 spoke, I thought he was going to say a proper engine carbon clean should cost me around £200 or so! Haha

£50/£79 for a 'carbon clean' or £5 for a bottle of redex - same thing imo.

In fairness, they are entirely different things.
Rather than write it off as 'snake oil' and advise a completely different product that does an entirely different thing, why not give it a try?

I have. It makes a very noticeable difference and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again in the future.

£50/£79 for a 'carbon clean' or £5 for a bottle of redex - same thing imo.

Totally different. Redex will clean the fuel system if it does actually do anything, whereas a carbon clean is done through the air intake. 2 totally different things.

Actually back in the day Redex was good. I don't suppose the EU allow it to have any active ingredients anymore, much like paint stripper that doesnt strip paint :) We used to put it down the plug hole and leave it over night and burn it off next day as a method of decoking the pistons. The only reason its put in the air inlet now is because you have direct injection which bypasses the valves but its basically the same thing
worked well on my S3. I had an orange engine light on for nearly 10k miles and no one could put it out for more than 100 miles...until ihd the modern version of the redex treatment. .

These sorts of treatments may work cleaning the fuel system, which will help response to a certain degree. For the inlet manifold on TFSI or FSI nothing can come close to proper elbow grease. I honestly can’t see how spraying some form of chemical into the intake track can clean baked on carbon. Mine were not that bad as it’s been walnut blasted in the past, I had it done again while I was getting all 5 injectors changed.

Attachments

• B439AE7F-D5BF-41B9-9018-B85A38616779.jpeg
    B439AE7F-D5BF-41B9-9018-B85A38616779.jpeg
    735.8 KB · Views: 274
  • 241EEEB2-01EB-4B10-91EF-169181948676.jpeg
    241EEEB2-01EB-4B10-91EF-169181948676.jpeg
    678.1 KB · Views: 281
Reactions: Raul_Breganzo
These sorts of treatments may work cleaning the fuel system, which will help response to a certain degree. For the inlet manifold on TFSI or FSI nothing can come close to proper elbow grease. I honestly can’t see how spraying some form of chemical into the intake track can clean baked on carbon. Mine were not that bad as it’s been walnut blasted in the past, I had it done again while I was getting all 5 injectors changed.

Nice images, thanks!
Is this ONLY for TFSI or FSI models?
What about a standard 1.6 diesel 11 plate? I'm assuming we can check the state of them?

Reactions: ch1z64, paddy and samuelh_888
Sometimes it feels like every post you make, someone else has to do the google search on your behalf to get you the answers.
http://www.enginecarbonclean.com/

I've googled before and the company I posted about both don't mention anything on "checking the state" of the baked on carbon!
Care to show me exactly where it states it on your link - I don't see it anywhere?!?

You don't need to check the state of the baked on carbon, unless you are planing to remove it yourself.
The Carbon clean and walnut blasting are different in every way, as one uses a chemical solution and the engines combustion to loosen and remove carbon build up, and the other involves dismantling the engine and cleaning it manually. The price is different. The time it takes is different. The results are different.
If you are physically able to check the state of the carbon build up, I doubt you would be asking people if it needs doing on your 1.6 diesel as you would know, or would have done it.
So i assumed your question was more about if your engine was compatible with Carbon Cleaning (yes it is) rather than if you needed to take it apart and look.

I'm aware Carbon Clean is compatible! lol
My question was more towards checking the condition of it. MarkMS3 pictures look like everything's intact and the injectors were simply taken off.
That's easy enough right?

The company doing the walnut blasting would have done that, that's what you pay them for.
Customers want to see what they are spending money on, hence the photographs as proof. I doubt very much that Mark would have taken it apart to take a photo, then taken it to a company to clean it, and then taken it apart again for another photo.
Anyway, do what you want, it's your car. You asked for advice on Carbon cleaning and that is what people gave you. You are old enough to make your own mind up on the benefits vs cost.

The company doing the walnut blasting would have done that, that's what you pay them for.
Customers want to see what they are spending money on, hence the photographs as proof. I doubt very much that Mark would have taken it apart to take a photo, then taken it to a company to clean it, and then taken it apart again for another photo.
Anyway, do what you want, it's your car. You asked for advice on Carbon cleaning and that is what people gave you. You are old enough to make your own mind up on the benefits vs cost.

****** hell, did you have a fight with your partner this morning!? :-D

Nope, I'm actually in a very good mood.
I've just got to the point of seeing so many of your posts that could be easily answered by googling or calling the companies that provides the service you are looking for, that I decided to say something.

Dave...now we have some warm weather should i drop my tire pressures 1-2 lb sq inch and will that effect my speedo ?

Hurry up Dave, can you google it ? i'm waiting to go out.

Too late, my wheels exploded and its all your fault -)

Sorry. I was expecting a post asking how to take an engine apart to check for carbon build up, so i was busy asking Yahoo in advance.

Reactions: paddy