Carbon clean - worthwhile?

Reaction score
Anyone have experience of a carbon clean aiding performance/economy/general driving?

I have 100k on my 2.0 TFSI, B8.5. Engine is remapped with APR stage 1 and has followed at longest Audi's recommended service intervals. I have used Shell or Esso premium fuel since owning it (almost 3 years)

Thanks,

The Hydrogen carbon cleans are just Snake oil and a Complete waste of time. you need to have proper manual/walnut blasting carbon clean.

Reactions: spartacus 68
I have the B8.5 2.0 TSFi engine and mine has has 2 sets of injectors 1 set are direct and the other are behind the inlet valve so cleaning is not required

I have the B8.5 2.0 TSFi engine and mine has has 2 sets of injectors 1 set are direct and the other are behind the inlet valve so cleaning is not required
I have the same derv as you. And assumed the same. However when my mech was replacing waterpump he took off the inlet manifold and took a photo. It was pretty caked in carbon with a very small clean patch where the second injectors cleaned it. So it's not a completely cleaned by injector. I'll try and get him to send me the photo.

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I have the same derv as you. And assumed the same. However when my mech was replacing waterpump he took off the inlet manifold and took a photo. It was pretty caked in carbon with a very small clean patch where the second injectors cleaned it. So it's not a completely cleaned by injector. I'll try and get him to send me the photo.

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Did you ever manage to get hold of a photo?

I've bought a borescope to take a look in the cylinder to fully understand what is going on down there.

I've bought a borescope to take a look in the cylinder to fully understand what is going on down there.

I hope that you have the means for that borescope to look upwards otherwise you will not manage to see much, you can buy attachments like an angled mirror and maybe a prism, I think that I have both but never used it on any of my engines yet.

The main area of interest is on the other side of the valves and that can only be viewed from the inlet manifold side.

I hope that you have the means for that borescope to look upwards otherwise you will not manage to see much, you can buy attachments like an angled mirror and maybe a prism, I think that I have both but never used it on any of my engines yet.

The main area of interest is on the other side of the valves and that can only be viewed from the inlet manifold side.

So if i understand you correctly, you're saying that i need to view the valve heads from bottom up?

The borescope came with a mirror attachment and is semi flexible, so based on what you say, i should be able to view it at 180 to the bonnet. This is new to me so i'll be watching some explainer videos to understand how to identify what i'm looking for.

Appreciate the advice.

Edit: i should add, i'm not planning to remove the head, rather go directly into the cylinders.

I bought the best of the Ring range of borescopes slightly used as so it came with some adaptors that screw onto the end of the camera, so far I have not plucked up enough courage to look into the cylinders in case something fell off, though as it is screwed on and not just pushed on, that should never happen, that is if I stay lucky!

With older and indirect injection engines, the spark plugs were below the valve area, so easier to rotate a camera and view upwards.

Screenshot 20201218 160040
Screenshot 20201218 155416
Screenshot 20201218 155401
With a Bore Scope all u will see is the Face of the Valve, u want to see the Valve Stem as pictured which means threw the Exhaust or inlet side...
Screenshot 20201218 155416
Screenshot 20201218 155401

Last edited:
those photos are very instructive - thanks very much.

Yes i can see how it's more beneficial to enter via the intake side...but that means removing quite a bit. More than I'm willing to do at this stage, if i'm honest.

I was hoping that with the vales extended, i could see past the face and to the stem, although it's clearly not going to be as good.

Reactions: Rab.

Hello mate.

Sorry for the late reply, I have asked the mech to send it to me. Fingers crossed. If not I will get him to send it when I'm next at the garage which won't be long.

Cheers

Matt

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

those photos are very instructive - thanks very much.

Yes i can see how it's more beneficial to enter via the intake side...but that means removing quite a bit. More than I'm willing to do at this stage, if i'm honest.

I was hoping that with the vales extended, i could see past the face and to the stem, although it's clearly not going to be as good.

Its maybe possible to View via the Sparkplug hole as u hopped , Depending on the Angle the 4 Valves are in the head and distance they Move in relation to the Hole.. But u would also need to Turn the Engine and find out the Cycle the Valaves open and close to view the Stem seat where the Carbon builds up... Good luck with it....

On turning the engine I read a tip ...put the car in high gear and attempt to move a few feet.

Hopefully that will work!

Nothing to lose,

In the old days we would remove all the spark plugs make sure it was out of Gear and put a Socket and wrench on the Bolt attached to the Cranshaft at the Front of the Engine and it would turn easy, But with Audi uve a load of plastic panels and no space to do anything between the Block and Radiator shrowd ...

Yep I've seen the manual, hand cranking method. Would removing the plugs be necessary?
Well removing all the plugs takes most of the "load" off the crankshaft so making turning the engine over a lot easier and more controlled, also to look into the cylinders the plugs need removing anyway.

Reactions: Super Nintendo Chalmers and Rab.