Carbon Ceramic Brakes. Help!!

LCarter

Reaction score
Sorry guys, As I’m sure this topic has been covered already but I can’t seem to track down. My brakes are suffering from bad squeal. I’ve got CC on the front, I’m aware that this is common trait etc and I’m happy to put up with this. But I’ve got a high pitch squeal coming from the front, drivers side only !! When not even applying the brakes & it’s constant. Seems to be more noticeable when travelling around corners. Is this perfectly normal ? Audi have told me there is nothing they can do. Nature of ceramics. Brake pads are @ 50%. The noise is driving me insane, to the point I don’t have the windows down anymore. What are my options ? Change of pads ? Something I can apply to them ? Audi was just first protocol. Again my main concern is the noise when not applying the brakes. is this noise expected ? Has anyone else experienced this, or only noise when actually using the brakes ? Any help/ advice would be much appreciated.

We have a Golf at the moment with an intermittent squeal on the rear when you’re driving and very frequent when on the brakes at low speed.

We suspect that it is a warped disc, we haven’t had it apart to check ourselves. The car was bought approved used, VW won’t look at it because it doesn’t have genuine pads on the rear.. previous owner fitted aftermarket.

How long has it been there? I’d be checking for something that’s embedded itself into the side of the pads, or something between the disc and backing plate.

On a side note I drove a B8 RS4 a few days ago with ceramics, first time I’ve driven a car with them. I was expecting them to be very grabby but they were very progressive and gave me great confidence.. didn’t get on them fully, probably 50%.. was enough to get the salesman out of his seat.

Reactions: NevMan
Sorry guys, As I’m sure this topic has been covered already but I can’t seem to track down. My brakes are suffering from bad squeal. I’ve got CC on the front, I’m aware that this is common trait etc and I’m happy to put up with this. But I’ve got a high pitch squeal coming from the front, drivers side only !! When not even applying the brakes & it’s constant. Seems to be more noticeable when travelling around corners. Is this perfectly normal ? Audi have told me there is nothing they can do. Nature of ceramics. Brake pads are @ 50%. The noise is driving me insane, to the point I don’t have the windows down anymore. What are my options ? Change of pads ? Something I can apply to them ? Audi was just first protocol. Again my main concern is the noise when not applying the brakes. is this noise expected ? Has anyone else experienced this, or only noise when actually using the brakes ? Any help/ advice would be much appreciated.

You need to get a wheel off and check the pads aren't sticking on one side of the caliper.

I've experienced this on the OEM standard setup, when i stripped the caliper springs/pins down i found the pads on one side where not 'free' in the caliper housing.

The pads slot into a 'tapered' opening and rest on an inner peg.

It's worth doing just to make sure they aren't getting stuck against the disc when off the pedal.

Thank you for the info guys.
We have a Golf at the moment with an intermittent squeal on the rear when you’re driving and very frequent when on the brakes at low speed.

We suspect that it is a warped disc, we haven’t had it apart to check ourselves. The car was bought approved used, VW won’t look at it because it doesn’t have genuine pads on the rear.. previous owner fitted aftermarket.

How long has it been there? I’d be checking for something that’s embedded itself into the side of the pads, or something between the disc and backing plate.

On a side note I drove a B8 RS4 a few days ago with ceramics, first time I’ve driven a car with them. I was expecting them to be very grabby but they were very progressive and gave me great confidence.. didn’t get on them fully, probably 50%.. was enough to get the salesman out of his seat.

Squeal when braking since ownership of the car. But constant squeak past 4 weeks I would say.

Car was left with Audi this morning, but received the phone call to say there isn’t anything they can do about it

You need to get a wheel off and check the pads aren't sticking on one side of the caliper.

I've experienced this on the OEM standard setup, when i stripped the caliper springs/pins down i found the pads on one side where not 'free' in the caliper housing.

The pads slot into a 'tapered' opening and rest on an inner peg.

It's worth doing just to make sure they aren't getting stuck against the disc when off the pedal.

Cheers for the info ! Suppose I’ll have to take it to an independent garage. Someone that will know what they’re doing.

Hmm, you thinking of changing Matt? Or just taking opportunity to drive RS4?

Hmm, you thinking of changing Matt? Or just taking opportunity to drive RS4?

Not changing no, the B8 RS4 was always my schoolboys dream car. The V8 in that is incredible, never experienced anything like it. I found myself sat in Audi for a few hours so managed to blag myself a quick spin in one, been asked many times why I haven’t bought one... had to talk myself out of the RS4 when I ordered mine.

1) All used and majority needing extended warranties
2) Average of around 30k miles and I’m too much of a perfectionist
3) Main reason why, doesn’t fit in the garage and I can’t keep a car like that outside in the same way I store mine now.

P.S. that username threw me! Surprised with the change, has it been in planning for long? I saw you in an RS3 next....

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan
I've got Carbon Ceramics and have experienced a squeal now and then but nothing a good heavy brake doesn't solve. Odd that you're getting it all the time mate. As the guys say - try taking your wheel off and checking nothing is embedded anywhere, although to me (and I'm no expert!) it does sound like one of your calipers is binding slightly and not releasing fully anymore - would explain you having it intermittently to start with and now constantly?

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Not changing no, the B8 RS4 was always my schoolboys dream car. The V8 in that is incredible, never experienced anything like it. I found myself sat in Audi for a few hours so managed to blag myself a quick spin in one, been asked many times why I haven’t bought one... had to talk myself out of the RS4 when I ordered mine.

1) All used and majority needing extended warranties
2) Average of around 30k miles and I’m too much of a perfectionist
3) Main reason why, doesn’t fit in the garage and I can’t keep a car like that outside in the same way I store mine now.

P.S. that username threw me! Surprised with the change, has it been in planning for long? I saw you in an RS3 next....

Fair enough, I am a MASSIVE RS fan, so one day.
Would love any of them, RS3 included, but too small for now with 3 teenage boys over 6ft each!

Not quite an RS, but the X3 M40i is some car with 3.0 twin turbo and 355bhp stock and 4.8 0-62, and got a cracking deal on a new one (BMW UK stock) with a shade under £10k discount, with M Sort Plus Pack (21", Harmon Kardon, adaptive suspension), pano roof etc etc.....would almost say a no brainer to go from a 2.0 TFSI Q5 LOL. and best of all is sounds FANTASTIC with proper exhausts

Fair enough, I am a MASSIVE RS fan, so one day.
Would love any of them, RS3 included, but too small for now with 3 teenage boys over 6ft each!

Not quite an RS, but the X3 M40i is some car with 3.0 twin turbo and 355bhp stock and 4.8 0-62, and got a cracking deal on a new one (BMW UK stock) with a shade under £10k discount, with M Sort Plus Pack (21", Harmon Kardon, adaptive suspension), pano roof etc etc.....would almost say a no brainer to go from a 2.0 TFSI Q5 LOL. and best of all is sounds FANTASTIC with proper exhausts

That’s understandable, pack for a few nights away for 2 in the RS3 with food and it’s rammed.

Sounds really good! Haven’t had any experience with the X3, but have been in the new 5-series and it has a proper luxury feel, BMW have caught up I’d say.

Brilliant engine to top it off! Looking forward to some photos!!

Another 'carbon-ceramic-squealer' here. Having had ceramics before, it is a trait they suffer from, I find a good clean for the car helps (as they develop a film over use time), but it is ****** embarrasing at times - especially when they howl as well as squeal!

Great stoppers otherwise though!