Carbiolet roof advice

J@Y

Would ya look at that!
Reaction score
Hey folks, complete Audi noob and never had the joys of owning a cabbie before. Don't know an awful lot about cars my bro looks after the mechanical side of things in the family.

Just bought an 07 A4 cabbie last week, its in superb nick just a few marks appearing on the roof. I was given autoglym for the roof from the previous owner but on browsing this forum its just raised a couple of questions if anyone can help please.

1. how many times a year should it be cleaned/treated
  2. after its been cleaned/treated I've noticed people mentioning it should be re-sealed...why, and what products best
  3. how do you go about cleaning it week to week i.e. Saturday morning car cleaning session in the summer :cool: Any do's and don'ts I should be aware of

Many thanks in advance for any info received!

Last edited:
I can't tell you what you should do but I know what I do!! I've always cleaned my roof with auto glym cleaner and treat straight after. ( when treating you have to mask car & glass up as it's sooo messy)
Have to say I'm going to try a differnt cleaner this year as I've not been that impressed with the auto glyms finish last time:-(
For regular cleaning every now and then I use a soft shoe brush to rub it down before I wash it ( when it's dry) and sad I know but every now & then I Hoover it too with the soft brush attatchment on my dyson!

Reactions: J@Y
I can't tell you what you should do but I know what I do!! I've always cleaned my roof with auto glym cleaner and treat straight after. ( when treating you have to mask car & glass up as it's sooo messy)
Have to say I'm going to try a differnt cleaner this year as I've not been that impressed with the auto glyms finish last time:-(
For regular cleaning every now and then I use a soft shoe brush to rub it down before I wash it ( when it's dry) and sad I know but every now & then I Hoover it too with the soft brush attatchment on my dyson!

Thanks for the reply! Nothing sad in taking pride in something, after all we pay good money for these things.

Do you reckon week to week if its clean to just leave it when washing the rest of the car then

Convertible roofs are fairly easy to look after once you know how and what to use. As said above a fine brush for keeping it clean and also for using with the cleaners. Angelwax have just released their new soft top cleaner called Excelsior which is a doddle to use and has great cleaning properties. This is sprayed on and agitated with a fine brush and then wiped off with a damp MF. It is then resealed using Angelwax Shield which gives very similar results to Scotchguard......and thats it....easy as that.

Reactions: J@Y and sammi
Thanks for the reply! Nothing sad in taking pride in something, after all we pay good money for these things.

Do you reckon week to week if its clean to just leave it when washing the rest of the car then

Cheers fella I'm soaking all this up like a sponge!

yes definatly, my black roof seems to attract white cat hairs and bits of fluff and dust from some where, so i find that the brush is enough to bring it back to how it should be. The hoover too does a great job. My car gets washed once or twice every week as i can't stand it being dirty and i probably only brush the roof once a month :0)

yes definatly, my black roof seems to attract white cat hairs and bits of fluff and dust from some where, so i find that the brush is enough to bring it back to how it should be. The hoover too does a great job. My car gets washed once or twice every week as i can't stand it being dirty and i probably only brush the roof once a month :0)

Thanks I'll bear it in mind though I work at a steelworks and the dust/kish in the air is beyond ridiculous so some good coats of wax/polish to build up a protection are a must but the hoover on the roof will probs be good to get all the dust. It's just a nightmare when it rains, it turns to a horrid muck. Plenty of cabbies on site though so I'll manage

I just wash mine the same as the rest of the car but use the rough sponge that came with the Autoglym kit on the roof. I know it's a 'no no' but I pressure wash the roof as well, not too close and always careful what way to direct the jet.
Autoglym has worked fine but I might try the Angelwax recommended above soon.
Used Renovo once but that was far too messy, even with masking, and I didn't like the end result.

Ok mate thanks for the reply will bear all these things in mind!

I got a 2007 A4 cab I treat mine twice a year , always do it before winter (all year ) and before roof down season , loads of products out there I think audi have there own products but never used them , use the autoglym roof kit