Car wrapping, anyone on here tried it?

craig32

Reaction score
Car wrapping seems to be getting really popular, I used to only see "wrapped" cars down in London usually Gemballa Porsches in matt black and that sort of thing!

Also I'm sure folk have seen or heard of El Hadji Diouf's chrome wrapped SLR? don't like the chrome myself but fair enough it's different!

I considered having my A3 3.2 done in matt grey but at the time the only company that seemed to be able to do it the way I wanted were German and charged an absolute fortune because they usually dealt with ultra high end cars and were obviously cashing in (amazing work though)

http://www.foilacar.ae/ (the .com site is under construction)

Has anyone on here done it? or considered it?

I noticed a matt black C63 at my local mercedes garage the other day and also found an advert for a Q7 V12 from Stafford Audi where they are offering to wrap the car as an extra

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1453681.htm

I looked into getting mine done in white, Was quoted £1200 for full car, Something I will definatley do in the future

You can get an A3 done for less than 1000 now at a lot of places. I got quoted £1000 at this place, probably the biggest on the game doing it hence they can do it cheaper.

http://www.raccoon.co.uk/

Gold, chrome, carbon was £300ish more.

racoon! I'm sure I came across them before, they look pretty good done a lot of high end cars, in fact...I think it was them that done El Hadji Diouf's SLR!

Wonder what a matt grey S3 with some BBS LM's or MTM Bi-moto's would look like!

I am tempted by this rather than a full respray - I would love to have my A3 3.2 done in Nogaro blue...

I love my sprint blue but I think I'll go for a wrap just to change things up soon for a while!

Good thing is you don't have to inform the DVLA as it's a temporary colour change.

Wonder what cops would say if they pulled you over and the black S3 registered to your number plate hapenned to be white haha, would take a bit of explaining I guess.

Can someone hurry up and get their car wrapped matte grey and shove on some bbs for me haha

I love my sprint blue but I think I'll go for a wrap just to change things up soon for a while!

Good thing is you don't have to inform the DVLA as it's a temporary colour change.

Wonder what cops would say if they pulled you over and the black S3 registered to your number plate hapenned to be white haha, would take a bit of explaining I guess.

Can someone hurry up and get their car wrapped matte grey and shove on some bbs for me haha

All you would have to do is show them under the bonnet or a door sil and they can see its only wrapped.

Hmmm merlin purple

A member here had his RS4 done in matte white a few manths back. Username was Klauster or something like that AFAIK

I hate matt black, looks rubbish when dirty or wet which is most of the time in the uk!

wrapping is a good idea though, pick up a scratch and just replace that section of vinyl. Also great when buying brand new as it protects the paint. I read a story about a guy buying a brand new BMW. He wanted a black one but was getting tempted by all the white cars appearing so he did actually buy a black one but had it wrapped when it was brand new to white. He said when the fashion for white cars dies down he will remove the wrap and have a factory fresh black finish underneath!

A mate of mine is starting a car wrapping business details to follow if you want! Based in North Wales….. One of his first rolls of stock will include carbon fibre vinyl :eyebrows:

A mate of mine is starting a car wrapping business details to follow if you want! Based in North Wales….. One of his first rolls of stock will include carbon fibre vinyl :eyebrows:

Mate let me know when your friend starts this business i may be interested when i have a new car and i'm already in Wales.

Car wrapping seems to be getting really popular, I used to only see "wrapped" cars down in London usually Gemballa Porsches in matt black and that sort of thing!

Also I'm sure folk have seen or heard of El Hadji Diouf's chrome wrapped SLR? don't like the chrome myself but fair enough it's different!

I considered having my A3 3.2 done in matt grey but at the time the only company that seemed to be able to do it the way I wanted were German and charged an absolute fortune because they usually dealt with ultra high end cars and were obviously cashing in (amazing work though)

http://www.foilacar.ae/ (the .com site is under construction)

Has anyone on here done it? or considered it?

I noticed a matt black C63 at my local mercedes garage the other day and also found an advert for a Q7 V12 from Stafford Audi where they are offering to wrap the car as an extra

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1453681.htm

Hi

I've considered it but then worried if you get a scratch got to go back and get that panel done. I had a quote from a company one of the guys on here used was £800 and then local business quote £1,000- £1,200.
One of the guys (klauster) on here had his RS4 wrapped white, here his thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?67557-After-12months-of-the-standard-RS4...&highlight=

Last edited:
Mmm..wasn't going to add anything to the s3 for now..but am now thinking of just biting the bullet and changing it to matt.

This Zonda was wrapped whilst the footie was on (photo's taken over the gym - got some strange looks but who cares..). As far as I remember, the car's blue underneath :

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

Car wrapping is a great way to get around parking tickets as the ticket inspector takes down the colour of the car as whatever it's wrapped as, you then dispute it claiming the registered colour, they check with DVLA and see the discrepancy, bobs your uncle the ticket is declared invalid and no longer payable! I used to have a dark grey car that was registered with DVLA as "grey" but I got ticketed twice and both times the ticket said black, disputed both and both were deemed invalid.

I would of course never condone this kind of behavior, and it's bit expensive to save yourself a few quid on a parking ticket.

This Zonda was wrapped whilst the footie was on (photo's taken over the gym - got some strange looks but who cares..). As far as I remember, the car's blue underneath :

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

Oh god no.... no no no.... FAIL!!!

I was looking into this too, firstly because i wanted to protect my front end, have a ibis coming next month so looked at the protection companies and they were looking for £750 or so for a front end, i remember seeing that a whole wrap was just over £1k and i will have the black roof on mine so would be less than that in the end.

If i did get it done i would either go viper green, baby blue or more likely pearlescent white.

Unusual choices but would be interesting to see if you get around to it.

Any of you people seen the 996 turbo porsche which goes to statller ? matt black with carbon wrapped bonnet,roof,tailgate and spoiler and a few other parts, he has had the wheels painted matt black also it looks like only what can be described as the stealth bomber and with the money he has spent on it down there its probably nearly as quick,bit or a marmite car to some people but most people including myself think it looks pretty damn amazing + top kid who drives it too

Saw a wrapped S3 parked up next to a grey S3 at the weekend. Wrapping was well done but i'm sorry, it just spoilt the car.
Just can't see the appeal of having a grey/black matt car over a nice shiny painted one.
They just look dull, and from a distance it looks like the car has been primed and waiting for a respray.

Seen a few other cars done too.... BMW, Porsche, Mercs.
NONE of them looked better than the same car painted in the usual colours.

You may be right Aythreee. I've never seen a matte colour in the flesh. But you could use glossy vinyl too, it doesn't have to be matte.

Yer i would love to see my car wrapped in sprint blue lol just think that colour is ace !! Dont mind mine in silver but be nice to be able to wrap it in the future!

May stop me just going out and blowing all my hard earned cash on new cars all the time !! lol

But maybe not.

Saw a wrapped S3 parked up next to a grey S3 at the weekend. Wrapping was well done but i'm sorry, it just spoilt the car.
Just can't see the appeal of having a grey/black matt car over a nice shiny painted one.
They just look dull, and from a distance it looks like the car has been primed and waiting for a respray.

Seen a few other cars done too.... BMW, Porsche, Mercs.
NONE of them looked better than the same car painted in the usual colours.
Got to agree, but as others have said the idea of using the process as a cheap way of completely changing the colour of your car is pretty appealing.

haha well not my cup of tea to do the whole car but i wont be paying much for it as it will be practice for him

If he's going to practice on your car, he might as well do it in a colour you prefer...this is awful IMHO

I have used a guy called minipirate in the past, he did a fantastic job and can print in a design also.

He did the dodo van.

I saw an S3 in Leeds the other day in matt/carbon or whatever..and I'll be honest and staright to the point....It was gross.

Maybe it's best when it's done to high end cars eg. SLR's/Lambo's

I miss my 1st A3 which was phantom black with tinted glass and I really want the black front grille so i think I'm going to get my car wrapped in black and stick on a black front grille :)

Still love sprint blue but I change my car too often and this will keep me interested for a while!

Think I'll get some tints too then when I've got the cash stick on coilovers with some polished finish alloys (probably MTM bi-moto's)

maybe a nice brake upgrade at the same time......I'm excited

I miss my 1st A3 which was phantom black with tinted glass and I really want the black front grille so i think I'm going to get my car wrapped in black and stick on a black front grille :)

Still love sprint blue but I change my car too often and this will keep me interested for a while!

Think I'll get some tints too then when I've got the cash stick on coilovers with some polished finish alloys (probably MTM bi-moto's)

maybe a nice brake upgrade at the same time......I'm excited

Mate dont do it lol! Sprint blue much better colour then black...If your gonna get your car wrapped get it done in a different colour (unique) not black lol. Might aswell of just got a black S3 lol

I've got my car booked in for a wrap by totally dynamic at end of september but got to let them know 5days before on a car and im unsure as yet.

I saw an S3 in Leeds the other day in matt/carbon or whatever..and I'll be honest and staright to the point....It was gross.

Maybe it's best when it's done to high end cars eg. SLR's/Lambo's

The thing is its so obviously a wrap and there's the illusion gone. Pearlescent is the way unless you go for a totally different colour from anything you could get from factory.

Mate dont do it lol! Sprint blue much better colour then black...If your gonna get your car wrapped get it done in a different colour (unique) not black lol. Might aswell of just got a black S3 lol

I've got my car booked in for a wrap by totally dynamic at end of september but got to let them know 5days before on a car and im unsure as yet.

What are you getting done?

The thing is, I love sprint blue don't get me wrong but I just really love phantom black and a change for a while would be cool.

I seen a phantom S3 the other day with tints, black grille and dropped onto some polished MTM's and my neck nearly snapped turning round to look at it.

Anyway time to see about pricing I'm going to call a few of the companies today and get up to date pricing for the A3/S3 with a few different options and I'll post up here so more people can get a good idea of cost.