Car won't start

rowdyboy

Reaction score
I drove my car this morning, left it parked for 30 minutes, when I came to start it, nothing.
Tried the spare key, in case the fob battery was flat, still no joy.
Scanned with VCDS and the only faults it show are glow plug open circuits on 4 cylinders.
When turning the key, it's as the the starter isn't engaging (can't hear the solenoid). The dash lights don't dim.
Tried a jumpstart, in case it was the battery. Still nothing. Any ideas??

Hi, Rowdy

Even with a jump, it could still be the battery. When mine died last year, I couldn't jump start it off another car, even with that car's engine revving.

Any idea how old your battery is? If it's a few years old, then the recent cold weather could have killed it off.

+1 wae JDP1962 on yer battery with an outside chance your alternator might be goosed too. It's amazing how the cold weather can really take it's toll on your battery...and everything else for that matter.

Let us know how you get on.

BR
a

Last edited:
No, it doesn't start at all, there's not even a click from the starter solenoid. Surely even with a duff battery, that should energise???

it does look like the original battery to be fair.

Does the battery show on VCDS??? What's the best way to test it??

i was leaning towards the starter fuse or relay.

No, it doesn't start at all, there's not even a click from the starter solenoid. Surely even with a duff battery, that should energise???

it does look like the original battery to be fair.

Does the battery show on VCDS??? What's the best way to test it??

i was leaning towards the starter fuse or relay.

Not sure about testing, as I got mine recovered to my garage (it was in the underground car park at work when it decided not to come out to play) who diagnosed a dead battery and changed it for me. Mine acted just like yours, with not a peep from the starter motor or the solenoid. If that is the original battery in there, I'd say there's a very strong likelihood that a new one is your fix.

Thanks jdp, if that's all it turns out to be, I'll be more than happy.

Ill save the glow plugs for another time.

ECU seeks a minimum voltage before cranking, if it doesn't see that voltage then it won't crank. Could well be your problem.

Cheers for the info guys, chucked a new battery in and all is good.
It totally threw me with the symptoms and not jump starting either.
Im surprised VCDS didn't pick low battery voltage up though.

Cheers for the info guys, chucked a new battery in and all is good.
It totally threw me with the symptoms and not jump starting either.
Im surprised VCDS didn't pick low battery voltage up though.

Good stuff....did you go for genuine Audi battery or something else....what was the damage out of interest for a battery these days in the Old Country anyway?

Cheers
A

Good stuff....did you go for genuine Audi battery or something else....what was the damage out of interest for a battery these days in the Old Country anyway?

Cheers
A

I went for a Bosch silverline from Halfords. With the car being dead, I didn't have time to shop around.
I have a trade card, so paid £86, instead of £129.

It's higher output that the gen Audi one I removed. It starts like a dream now.

Reactions: Molnboman
And did you put your back out trying to manoeuvre the new battery into place? I ****** well did!