Car won't start. Think battery is dead.

the_chang

Reaction score
Cars not been driven for a few days. Went to start the car this cold frosty morning and it wouldnt start. I've done a diagnostic test with the torque app and it didn't come up with anything. I noticed the time/date on the dash had reset itself. Last week the car took a few seconds to start itself then idled at around 1.2k and settled itself after 2mins.

Am assuming it's the battery as it's common over winter and that the clocks reset, but I've had a dead battery before on other cars where I would get a clicking sound when trying to start up.

Cars stuck out on the roadside. Thinking of taking out breakdown cover so they can come look at it before I buy a new battery.

Audi A4 '56' B7 2.7TDI

Open car door and look at interior light, if it isnt on then it`s a good indication the battery is flat/dead.

Sounds like a bad/dead battery to me as I had this fault last year.....mine was a bad cell on a newish battery.

Basically if you can get it started is it ok until it's been left overnight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it's proven to be the battery, which size/brand battery should I get and from where ? Am in no hurry to get it started.

Mine packed in with no warning a while back I'm with the RAC they came out fitted they own battery they do a heavier duty battery for a bit extra but worth it hsd no problems just make sure you get the right size for your car, good luck and hope you get it sorted

cold weather will finish off a tired out battery very quickly, just invest in a new one now , shop around a bit first as prices can vary wildly for the same spec and brand battery.
good luck

Hopefully just a dead battery and not a draining issue, had a French car lol and had all sorts of battery drain issues years ago

Just fitted a varta type 110 80ah battery. It came with plastic covering over the terminals but once I've connected with cables up I can't get the plastic coverings on.

Are these necessary, my old battery didn't have any or should I cut some groves In the plastic to it over the cables ?

Just fitted a varta type 110 80ah battery. It came with plastic covering over the terminals but once I've connected with cables up I can't get the plastic coverings on.

Are these necessary, my old battery didn't have any or should I cut some groves In the plastic to it over the cables ?

They are just to protect the terminals shorting out if any metal objeects happen to land on them. You can either throw them away or just put them onto your old battery.

I would also check your battery for any other seals. Some batteries have a breather hole in them. whilst on the shelf or being shipped this normally has a little bung in it to stop any leakage. It will normally have a sticker telling you to remove just prior to fitting.

There was a small red bung on the side of the new battery which I plugged with a tiny pipe that originally was in the old battery.

Can anyone recommend some jump leads and battery booster for a 2.7tdi. Would be handy carrying these in the boot for any future problems.

That's the correct thing you have done with the bung & pipe Chang.

In all honesty you should be OK now but if I were going to get one of the battery boosters it would have to be one of the small Lithium ones similar to this....I'm not saying this is the one to get but you will know the type to look for. CLICKY HERE

8BA5F5A0-3426-438C-8E3C-534F9DC954E4-large.jpg

Last edited: