Car washing tips

Wow thanks Lee_fr200, that's a good old-fashioned "full valet"!

Anyone got a good one hour routine rather that a 2-3 day one ! :faint:

This is what I do every fortnight:

1) Spray car with ValetPro Citrus PreWash. Leave to dwell for 10 mins.
2) Rinse off with pressure washer.
3) Spray wheels with Valetpro acid-free Billberry Wheel Cleaner. Leave for 5 minutes. Agitate with alloy brush, pressure wash off.
4) Move car back half a tyre rotation and repeat step 3.
5) Using two buckets (one with shampoo / conditioner, the other just hot water) and a lambswool mitt clean the car from top to bottom. Wring out the mitt in the plain hot water, and then soak up fresh soapy water from the other bucket. Stops cross contamination and ensures you're only applying clean water to your paintwork.
6) Rinse with pressure washer.
7) Use Tar-X and Iron-X to remove any stubborn tar or dead bugs as required. (Don't leave Tar-x to dwell more than 7 minutes)
8) Rinse with pressure washer.
9) Spray with Autoglym Aqua Wax on all windows and panels (NOT WINDSCREEN!) and work in with a damp microfibre cloth. Buff with a large clean drying towel.
10) Spray windscreen with Autoglym Fast Glass and work in with a microfibre towel. Use a Glass Microfibre towel to polish screen.
11) Apply Meguiars Ultimate Tyre Gel to dress the tyres.

All in all takes between 1.5 and 3 hours depending on whether step 7 is required. Personally I always make sure to sling my cloths and towels in the washing machine after each wash. 40 degree wash with detergent but no conditioner. This makes sure there's no grit / contaminates stuck in there for next time.

I'd say this isn't quite a full detailing routine, but I like to think it's a gentle and thorough clean and wax :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Louay
Wow thanks Lee_fr200, that's a good old-fashioned "full valet"!

Anyone got a good one hour routine rather that a 2-3 day one ! :faint:

That will take a day apart from the machine polishing as that's where it goes into more days,
Best thing to do is just apply a nice polish by hand (machines and special compounds and polishes can be pricey)
Buff off and wax

Can do that in a day easily

Thanks guys, I think MJC's routine is a bit closer to the time I have available, so will try a variation on that, but it sounds like the Autoglym Aquawax is a good investment.

...and then it rains the next day... ?!#%/£&!

The one piece of the jigsaw I am missing is a good wheel sealer. Any suggestions?

Was also wondering if I could use it on the exhaust tips to make them easier to clean?

The one piece of the jigsaw I am missing is a good wheel sealer. Any suggestions?

Was also wondering if I could use it on the exhaust tips to make them easier to clean?

I use either gtechniq or autofinesse

And for exhaust I use autofinesse or autosol as well

I used gtechnic C5 on the wheels. Takes a while to prep the wheels thoroughly but I'm pleased with the results.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm already using the Auto Finesse Citrus Power, so will give their Mint Rims a try

Bilt Hamber soft clay to clean tar etc off, as you use it with water rather than detailer, then follow with a good wax and sealant.

I've also found Menzerna products very effective for removing light scratches, as it cuts without causing swirls.

Mods - can we get this thread moved to detailing section?

... no need... it looks like the detailing section has come to us.:haudrauf:

I have 2 cars to keep clean and don't have time to do all that faffing. (Though I do prep and apply a sealant summer and winter).

With the amount of rain in my area of the country and the rural roads we have to drive on our 2 cars are rarely clean for more than a few days.

Like the original poster - I want 90% of the results with 10% of the effort.

Reactions: Abzz
Bilt Hamber soft clay to clean tar etc off, as you use it with water rather than detailer, then follow with a good wax and sealant.

I've also found Menzerna products very effective for removing light scratches, as it cuts without causing swirls.

So there's no marring you would be best using a tar remover first such as tardis or oblitarate then anything left will be picked up by the clay

I got the exact same jet wash yesterday and was very impressed, is the cone spray the non adjustable head? As it comes with 2. The wheel brush wasn't up to much.

Where did you get it? My brother wants one and Argos/Homebase don't seem to have them in stock.

After reading this thread again I'm gonna order a few things which should speed up cleaning our 2 cars...

Pre wash to go in my garden sprayer - Valet Pro Citrus Pre Wash. (May not be as much fun as snow foam, but sounds just as effective and less messy.)

Wheel wax - Collinite 845. (Sounds like waxing the wheels is worth the effort.)

Wet wax - Autoglym Aqua Wax. (Looks interesting, never used anything like this before, gets good reviews. The solid red A3 always needs dried anyway.)

Also getting a grit guard and going to put my wash mit through the washing machine more often.

Last edited:
Reactions: carys3