car wash advice please

lovei27

Reaction score
how do you guys keep your audi shining ...

can someone tell me how to get the best clean and wash at home .. what products you guys use .. wax etc

dont want to go car wash ... to avoid scratches and hand car wash cost about $35 each time ...

never washed a car at home before sooooooooo please advice

I just wash off the dirt with cold water, then use car shampoo in hot water to actually clean it, then rinse off with cold water and shammy it down (all working down from the roof) then clean the wheels which being an S-Line they're a ****** to keep clean

"Poorboys" products are excellent value for money - great products and don't cost a fortune like some of the other products out there.

go to www.detailingworld.co.uk or www.detailingnation.co.uk for tips and advice. My advice;

Invest in a pressure washer, snow gun, wash mitt and 2 buckets with gritguards. Apply a good sealant like Opti-Coat 2.0 or CQuarts and use the 2 bucket method for washing.

Reactions: naughts4187
As above... go to http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/ those guys have great buying guides which will explain which product for your type / colour of paint.

Agreed. I've been cleaning cars 'according to the detailing methodology' for years now. You need to follow the process or else you induce marring and micro scratches into the paint. My wifes Q5 and my S3 are both totally microscratch free. The Q5 has been 'washed' according two bucket method since new. I've cleaned my car 3 times in three weeks. Loads of info in the detailing section, but my regime is minimize the amount of occasions when you could induce scratches:

1. Spray On Citrus prewash on bodywork
2. Spray on Meguiars Degreaser on grill, around exhausts and under wheel arches
3. Bilberry Wheel Cleaner on wheels
4. Power wash rinse off (I use a demineralized water filter)
5. Snow Foam
6. Power wash rinse off

7. Wash the car gently with two bucket method; scratch guards in the bottom of both buckets and good quality lambs wool mit. (this is the first time there is any real physical contact with the bodywork)

8. Power wash rinse off
9. Dry the car with microfiber drying towels and a pet hair dryer (yes I know sad - but gets to all the places to push the water out - good for wheels etc)

10.. At this point I would reseal, and/or rewax, or lightly polish out surface scratches before reseal, and/or rewax
11. All plastics have been dressed with Gtechniq c4 so don't need anything other than drying
12. Tyres are done with Gtechniq T1 or Meguiars tyre gel.
13. Windows with AG fast Glass.

14. Stand back and admire shiny car.

Takes about an hour and a half at a leisurely pace, but therapeutic!!

Good advice! :thumbs up:

Right where do I start ...

Power washer. Defo go for a Nilfisk one. Much better that the ever popular Karcher. Nilfisk has a metal pump and the Karcher has a plastic pump which was enough for me to buy a Nilfisk

Pre-Wash. I always pre-wash before I lay a mitt on either of our cars. Helps stops the marring and gets most of the cr@p off the car that would otherwise damage it before washing. I use ValetPro Citrus pre-wash which IMO is better than snow foam (but not as much fun lol). Just make sure you mix the VP CPW with very warm but not hot water for better results.

Washing. I dont use the 2 bucket method. I use on large bucket with a grit guard in and always give the mitt a good swirl in the water before each clean stroke. I always use a minimum of 10litres of water to shampoo the car.

Wash mitt. Got to be a decent lambswool one (I have 3 various one's lol) IMO. Something like this -http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/flexipads-merino-wool-wash-mitt.html

Shampoo. I've tried about 20-25 different ones and keep coming back to my fave, Wolfs white satin. A litre will give you 50 washes at the correct dilute ratio http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/wolfs-chemicals-auto-shampoo.html

Microfibres. I have a real 'problem' with MF's in the fact I buy way to many. There are so many out there so difficult to recommend one in particular. There are ones for drying, ones for applying products, ones for buffing … See what I mean

The only thing I would recommend is that you get a decent plush one MF to dry your cars

This is going to cost you plenty enough as it is.

This lot, Tar Remover, Fallout Remover, Wheel Cleaner, Clay and Lube, glass cleaner etc. I would say can wait. You can pick this up as and when its needed.

Personally I dont use waxes at all. I prefer sealants. Just my thing I suppose

Detailing is a very personal thing. What products I like, other dont & visa versa.

Detailing World is an excellent resource and they're all a friendly bunch.

PS Detailing can become very addictive, so beware you bank account may suffer, A LOT lol

Last edited:
Reactions: m2srt
I love having OCD! must say VP citrus is great stuff but so is Bilt Hamber Autofoam. DW comes to ASN!

I have true OCD - Just had a large parcel delivered from cleanyourcar.co.uk .

Bristle Hound - Your comments on power washers are not helpful at all. My OCD now dictates that I must go and look at the Nilfisk washers, despite having 2 karchers! although my Karcher K7 does have a aluminum pump head and water cooled motor. :eek:

I have true OCD - Just had a large parcel delivered from cleanyourcar.co.uk .

Bristle Hound - Your comments on power washers are not helpful at all. My OCD now dictates that I must go and look at the Nilfisk washers, despite having 2 karchers! although my Karcher K7 does have a aluminum pump head and water cooled motor. :eek:

+1 for Nilfisk - swapped from Karcher this year, nice big reel on the unit and epic pressure. Only thing that is rubbish is the ridiculously flimsy handle to reel the cable back in...

Heartily recommend Polished Bliss site and the Detailing World forum. I'm having great success with the Auto Finesse products. They've also been really helpful too.

+1 for Nilfisk - swapped from Karcher this year, nice big reel on the unit and epic pressure. Only thing that is rubbish is the ridiculously flimsy handle to reel the cable back in...

Any particular recomendations?

LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm always 'in the dog house' for something lol

to be honest, unless you have severe OCD, you don't really need to purchase expensive over hyped products online from companies that have only been around for 2 weeks at all.

i truely believe that as long as you know for sure what you want/need to buy from halfords, its a perfectly good place to shop with some sort of cleaning products sales always available (january is best time) however, if you need to ask one of their college brain-dead employees for advise, you're screwed!

you can still buy the right products from there for the right price, theres no point paying £100 for a 500ml bottle (i'm over exaggerating here)

shampoo
meguiars gold class
meguiars ultimate wash and wax
autoglym bodywork shampoo conditioner

decontamination
meguiars smooth surface clay bar kit

scratch remover
meguiars ultimate compound

polish
autoglym super resin polish (this is more of a filler but has been reformulated)

wax
meguiars ultimate (cream form)
autoglym hd (paste form)

detailer
meguiars ultimate (part sealant)
autoglym rapid detailer (smells of cherries)

glass
autoglym fast glass

hope this helps, reason why ive only mentioned two brands here, is because theyre both over 100 years old and work and know their stuff!

Reactions: simboti19
I was always a fan of halfords for keeping my car clean but when I got my new car I wanted some advice and a lovely halfords employee knew next to nothing. Also it can be expensive unless they've got a 3 for 2 on.

Shopping at halfords and then going to polished bliss for example is like doing your weekly shop in a newsagents and then going to a giant asda. It may not always be cheaper but I've found their always helpful with advice so for the same money you can get better results and nearly always free delivery.

Reactions: simboti19
Don't know if anyone is interested but Amazon have a "lightning deal" on today for a
Nilfisk E 130.3-9 X-TRA 2KW Excellence Pressure Washer. Normally £279.99, now £184.99

Amazon product

One last suggestion is if your paintwork is in good condition do not POLISH your car. Polish is abrasive, use a glaze or wax.

The white residue left by a polish is clay, this is the abrasive part of a polish.

If you want to look what is available check out..

www.i4detailing.co.uk

www.vertar.co.uk

I use mainly Zymol products.

Detailing World is your friend on all matter this IMHO :thumbs up:

Go & have a look, I dare you & your bank balance! lol