Car Tax - Urgent question

ImS3ola

Reaction score
Hi guys, my car tax expires at the end of May, and I've just been told that a new system is being introduced from 1st May. I've done a bit of research, and I was just wondering if you could confirm my understanding of the situation as follows:

My 2002 52 plate S3, which emits 226 CO2(g/km), will be in band K, and I'll pay £215 this year, and £245 every year after that. So I won't have to pay £405 this year and £425 after that?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_172916

Thanks

hey, i did some research about this before buying my S3 2months ago. as far as i could understands as most of it is just utter bulls**t is that by 2010 any car registered on/after 1st march 2001 will be automatically put into the highest band (this is S3's im talking about by the way) which this yera goes up but i reckon 10quid or so and by 2010 will be £405 per yr. but if your cars registered before 1st march 2001 the tax band is done by the engine size. and wont go any higher than £215 a yr i think. dont quote me on any of this as i cant remember it exactly from 2months ago. i do still have the link which was most helpfull for me as i really dint want to risk paying £405 a yr for tax.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/#

this is what i found very usefull. hope it helps you fella.

the link you've put on pritty much explains everything iv said but i think my figures were out by a little. the link iv put on you can choose your car and it will work out how much you'll be paying every year uptill 2010. hope it helps.

if your having trouble finding your car its because it under AS hatchback then click on the S3 (225bhp) version which i reckon yours will be.

The way I read it, anything registered after 23rd March 2006 and 225gk/m will be in band 'G' (£400) otherwise band 'F' up until 1st May 2009 after which they will introduce the 13 band system.

Then cars registered before 23rd March 2006 with 225gk/m and over sit in band 'K'

So essentially all S3's registered before 23rd March 2006 are Band 'F' (£210) until 1st May 2009 and Band 'K' (£215) until the government balls it up again...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the info guys. So its seems it'll be £215 for me this year.

Out of interest, does anyone know why they choose 23 March 2006 as the major divide?

your guess is as good as mine:think:. i reckon its all just a money scam.

Gordon Brown's Aunties, Nephews, next door neighbour's, Uncle's, son's, goldfish's birthday I suspect... seems to make as much sense as anything else they do tbh..

<tuffty/>

* Band K includes cars that have a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006.

Tufty. Well spotted. That makes it a lot fairer. Post above amended!

Cheers,

Also interesting to note the 8P S3 is a group lower (J) with an impressive 196-199g/km!! Currently same tax level as th 8L though...

Cheers,

So I have a 51 plate so CO2 figure 225g/km

From 2009 band L £400 !!! not £215 by 1g/km

ok so can someone help here ? my mot shows 0.012 actual CO %vol ( limit for passing MOT is 0.2) Lambda .97 ( limit 1.03) so my vehicle is underneath requirements

If this increase is due to the level of CO2 emissions then my car should be in the bracket below - now I know this is based on the log book but If I can prove my car is below the 225g/km value then why would I not have a case for paying cheaper tax ?

Any thoughts

My 51 plate AMK (210bhp) is 223g/km, the figure is on your V5. If it says 225g/km then thats the figure used to classify your car.

Not that it matters as all 1.8t 8L A3/S3 cars will be banded as 'K' from tomorrow.

<tuffty/>

you have a BAM? the 225's are 226g/km IIRC

Ironically, Purple Princess's A3TQS is 226 too... thats only got a K03s so its not about the power it would seem...

<tuffty/>

As tufty said earlier today, the asterix * by band K says that:

'* Band K includes cars that have a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006.'

So ANY car 1st registered prior to 23rd March 2006 is at band K maximum.

Bands L&M only apply to cars 1st registered on or after 23rd March 2006.

Cheers,

DOH

Yes I see that now so 215 next year 245 the year after

Cool - thanks for confirming

got six months tax today,worked out at £104.50 for my prefacelift AGU 1.8T Sport 150BHP
What band will that be next year and how much will i be paying?
any idea?