Car taking a while to start since remap

William McGougan

Reaction score
Since having the car stage 2+ Apr tuned my car is sometimes cranking for a while before starting then stuttering and stalling or gathers revs up...it does have a runner flap delete and is mapped for it could this be the issue or is there any other common areas to look at?

Is the issue after the car has been standing a while, say over night?

Yeah more so, I'm looking thinking it's fuel pressure related, if I turn key leave it to prime and then do it again it starts a little better, but not sure as to which sensor could be causing it or anything mechanical, have you any insight?

When you say more so, it makes me think that it is still there to some extent when the car is warm.
I saw a post some time ago from Niki Gower of RTech who said there is an anti bleed back valve on the low pressure fuel line that can go weak allowing the fuel pressure to drop over time. So spluttering to start as the pressure builds up.

However, if you always have a bit of a problem, it probably cannot be that.
You will have APR software version 3.4. This is a generic map that takes account of the general hardware modifications for a stage 2+ car. A runner flap delete is not a standard 2+ modification so I am not sure the software can cope with this and so this is more likely to be your issue.
If you are within 30 days, ask for a refund and get flashed back to standard. You could then have a custom map that really will take account of the rfd.

If you don’t get a straight answer about this from your tuner, I would ask for advice from Awesome GTI as they are HQ for APR in the U.K. and in my experience are very helpful.
If Awesome confirms that the software cannot cope with the rfd but your tuner says it would have been fine, you have decent grounds for a refund.

When you say more so, it makes me think that it is still there to some extent when the car is warm.
I saw a post some time ago from Niki Gower of RTech who said there is an anti bleed back valve on the low pressure fuel line that can go weak allowing the fuel pressure to drop over time. So spluttering to start as the pressure builds up.

However, if you always have a bit of a problem, it probably cannot be that.
You will have APR software version 3.4. This is a generic map that takes account of the general hardware modifications for a stage 2+ car. A runner flap delete is not a standard 2+ modification so I am not sure the software can cope with this and so this is more likely to be your issue.
If you are within 30 days, ask for a refund and get flashed back to standard. You could then have a custom map that really will take account of the rfd.

If you don’t get a straight answer about this from your tuner, I would ask for advice from Awesome GTI as they are HQ for APR in the U.K. and in my experience are very helpful.
If Awesome confirms that the software cannot cope with the rfd but your tuner says it would have been fine, you have decent grounds for a refund.
It has a RFD file on it Apr have a V3.4 RFD file so I assume it can't be that.. it doesn't happen all the time sometimes it starts fine others it takes a while to crank, sometimes it starts and doesn't splutter others it does, I'm wondering if it's anything sensor related on the HPFP... Or possibly the valve as you say

If you have stage 2+, you must have had the fuel pump off to either upgrade the whole pump or to install new internals. If the flexible rubber pipe below the hpfp is worn or crusty at the end in any way little bits of rubber can break off and cause a blockage.
If you take the pump off for a look take care, there is a little washer between the brass fitting and the pump that can easily be lost.
To make it easier for you, if the problem only started up after the mapping, I would contact them politely to explain your situation and ask them to investigate.

If you have stage 2+, you must have had the fuel pump off to either upgrade the whole pump or to install new internals. If the flexible rubber pipe below the hpfp is worn or crusty at the end in any way little bits of rubber can break off and cause a blockage.
If you take the pump off for a look take care, there is a little washer between the brass fitting and the pump that can easily be lost.
To make it easier for you, if the problem only started up after the mapping, I would contact them politely to explain your situation and ask them to investigate.
Yeah it got a Loba fuel pump fitted and the pipe was fairly new had only done 7000miles as I got it used, the problem happened around the time of the map yeah but I done the runner flap delete days before so I'm unsure, it's going back in Wednesday to have actuator changed as spring has went soft