Car slightly shaking at idle, help before it gets worse.

Mason-A3Sport

Audi Sport
Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem with my Audi, it shakes rarely at idle more so when its cold. It's annoying and i want to diagnose the problem before it gets any worse, possibly a faulty coil pack or flywheel maybe? Was just wondering if using vag would help to diagnose the problem as i am new to it, or any other suggestions. I didn't want to take it to Audi as it would cost a fortune before they lifted the bonnet but i do use them to service my car. Its a 2001 Audi A3 Sport 1.9 TDI PD130 with 90k. If this will diagnose the problem where can i get it done, and has anyone near Tyne and Wear (Newcastle Upon Tyne) got it? Was wanting to get the problem sorted asap as i am geting the car remapped by Revo next weekend and didnt want the map to make the car any worse. Would appreciate it if anybody could help. thanks.

I guarantee it won't be a coil pack :rolleyes:

If it's only at idle then it could be an engine mount. Not sure about the A3 but A4s have one engine mount that is stiffened electronically above 1100 rpm. Below that it softens to dampen the vibes. It should show up in VAGCOM if you get your car scanned.

Just to let anybody know who has the same problem as me, it was the dual mass flywheel that was causing this, which is what i expected in the first place due to the car stopping shaking when the clutch was pressed down. I paid £42 for a diagnostics to tell me nothing was a matter withe the engine all running fine, good news in one way but bad considering it was a waste of £42. The engineer said his previous golf GT TDI did it occasionally like mine, and it would be fine and didn't need replaced but it would still shake occasionally, I'm going to get it replaced anyways because it is annoying. Doe's anybody know the cheapest place to get a dual mass flywheel for a A3 Sport 1.9TDI 130? my flywheel is still under warranty, but warranty companies being £$%£ as they are lol, decided they would not replace it till my car broke down which is also annoying! Any help would be appreciated thanks.