Car selling question.

emery1990

Reaction score
If i was to sell my car how long is it untill you think it will depreciate again. Its a 52 plate plate so should i expect this to happen in around june time, or doesnt it work like that ?

Atm on ebay pistonheads etc, my cars going for £5000-£5500, some with quite higher mileage too. Mines got 68k.

I gets my 2 years ncb in may so should i hold out untill then or not?

The car is worth how much someone is willing to pay for it, as it stands, it's constantly depreciating day to day, but I guess there will be a drop in value around march time when the new reg comes out, and there will be a flood of other 2nd hand cars on the market.

I would wait the NCB out, changing mid term corrupts savings etc.

Assuming it is doing what it is supposed to do reliably, then change around renewal time. It will give you a better idea how much the 2 yrs NCB is actually worth at the point of renewal.

generally car sales rally in January so you may see prices going up like they did the latter part of 09 due to the artificially low depreciation suffered over the recession..... the concensus out there is that there arent enough used cars due to the scrappage scheme which means dealers are buying less bargains to flog but still having to maintain their margin

regards selling yours, it all depends on what you want, when you want it and what they are going for, just avoid publications that will tell you what you want to hear (waste of money) - most websites offer a valuer too which is notoriously low (£200 above trade on average) to give the site kudos for selling what gets put up

Generally they are valued monthly but that would only apply when going to a dealer, I personally would set the price ready for Jan based on what others are on sale for, you may not get that amount, but with Jan coming up, you prob have the best possible chance

I wouldnt bother about your NCB, you will still get it as long as you reinsure another car - theres no mileage in waiting

thanks animal that helped.

van insurance is 2k atm so my dads decideding whether to wait till may to let it go down in price in a bit.

was looking a polo gti to have for a few months while i wait for the van, thatd be easier to sell than the a3 later on this year.