Car mopping

Naresh

Reaction score
Just wanted to get your views on a treatment I saw being done on my brother-in-law's Scooby last week.
Basically this guys had a various range of tools and polishes he used to restore the paintwork on a 6 year old car, that started with using a wet/dry pad on an electric car mop which was used all over the car. I think it was used to remove a thin layer of the lacquer.
He then proceeded to apply several coats of "platinum" polish from a large container which I think he gets direct from the manufacturer! After each coat he buffed it up with a cloth and the final result was amazing and he also managed to do a great job on the bonnet which was apparently covred in alot of stone chips!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Although the finish was excellent I was a bit dubious of the whole wet and dry mopping process that removed the top layer of lacquer, plus I'm not sure of the long term effect if any! He charged around £50 but that was with a small discount as he was a friend of the family!

Any comments would be great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi there i know that does this where i live, he uses a type of 'cutting compound' that does take off a very thin layer then builds this all back up using electric polisher, you are correct this does look amazing but i am unsure of the longer lasting effects.

secondhand car sales type places do it all the time its quick vehicle prep, bodyshops also do it. Under certain light conditions you can see the swirl marks on the paintwork.

So I take it from the level of response that this technique is either generally unheard of or the average Audi owner would never let a guy come near their car with an electric polisher with a wet & dry pad on it??

I guess you can't beat a bit of "wax on, wax off" motion hey Daniel-Son? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif