Car jack and tool kit

eribaMotters

Reaction score
I have a 2019 model A3 Sportback on order. You can no longer specify a factory fit spare wheel so I have sourced an 18" space-saver, same rolling diameter as the 17" alloys fitted.
I'm told it comes with a tool kit, but unsure if this includes the lifting jack and the dealer is finding out. I'm guessing it does not, but can anybody confirm this.
Does anybody know the code/part number of the jack. I would have thought the jack would be a standard VAG part for A3/4, Golf, Skoda, Seat models etc so I should be able to pick up a second hand one on the likes of e-bay.

Thanks - Colin

I asked this question last week at the dealers, and was told that they “think it comes with a jack and toolkit”
They didn’t know for sure, though.
That doesn’t help, does it. Sorry.

MY17 S3 came with space saver spare tool kit and jack.
The worst jack i have ever used went straight on a shelf ,
in garage never to be used again . Got one on Tinterweb
fits in same place in boot AND A LOT SAFER!!
AndyF Team Navarra

thats shocking you cant get a spare wheel, i hate this move to a can on gloop that never works.

Reactions: Andy F
Yeah, I was in the same position with my A3. Dealer told me a space saver no longer fitted despite a couple of other cars in the showroom having a space saver!

I ended up getting spacesaver, jack and wheel brace off eBay for £80 all in. The wheel fits fine in the boot well and I can still put the boot floor in the lower positioning required.

You don’t mention which model you’re getting but if a S-line or above then you will need an 18 inch rim spacesaver to accommodate the now standard subwoofer.

The spare/gunk/space-saver situation goes around in circles. My 2004 Touran had a can of gunk. Buyers getting the ache resulted in some car manufacturers changing track and my 2014 Yeti came with a full size spare option at £100. Manufacturers are now fighting to get emmisions down so weight reductions are needed and we are back to cans of gunk.
Am I looking for a jack that looks like below:-
Jack

You don’t mention which model you’re getting but if a S-line or above then you will need an 18 inch rim spacesaver to accommodate the now standard subwoofer.

It is a Sport model, so no need for me to worry about the boot speaker. I went for the 18" instead of the 16" as it is within about 2 or 3 mm diameter difference of the 17" fitted to the car and so a more sensible solution. I checked the boot floor can fit in the lower position with this fitted and it looks fine.

I always carry an extending wheel brace and torque wrench and plan to get the dealer to take of the security wheel studs on collection as they an absolute pain to get of after a garage has fitted them.

Colin

My S3 sportback (MY17) came with a space saver 18 inch wheel (subwoofer fits inside), toolkit stowed in the right hand small locker in the boot and a decent scissor jack (which fits in an expanded polystyrene holder under the boot floor (can only be found by removing the boot floor completely). I keep a torque wrench, deep socket, extension bar and foot pump under the boot floor as well. The jack for my car is not silver as pictured in the thread above but black and a scissor type (which is much more stable). Before I got a low profile trolley jack I changed over all 4 wheels to winter wheels with the OEM jack. Slow but not scary as some rubbish jacks are. The locking wheel bolts are not a problem to remove -the “key” fits in the same size socket as the rest of the bolts.

The spare/gunk/space-saver situation goes around in circles. My 2004 Touran had a can of gunk. Buyers getting the ache resulted in some car manufacturers changing track and my 2014 Yeti came with a full size spare option at £100. Manufacturers are now fighting to get emmisions down so weight reductions are needed and we are back to cans of gunk.
Am I looking for a jack that looks like below:-
View attachment 171905

In short, no. That’s not the right jack. I will try to take a photo at some point tomorrow, time permitting. Mine is black and a scissor type.

Part number is 8V0011031B

Last edited:
Reactions: eribaMotters
Thanks Svenedin, I now know what to look out for. I understand what you say about OEM jacks and plan to use it for emergency only. I bought a trolley jack and ice hockey puck for swapping summer to winter wheels on my Yeti. It was when swapping them over I had problems with the locking wheel bolts [Skoda/Audi same design]. The main dealer had over tightened them and after 20 minutes at my local friendly mechanic to get them off I replaced them.

Colin

No problem Colin. The locking bolts are fine if not over-torqued and may save the theft of expensive alloys.

@Svenedin
My jack was rubbish only used
it once never again
AndyF Team Navarra