car impound people not happy

Wouldn't work over here :

Is there a maximum amount of 1p coins that can be accepted as payment in a shop?

Copper coins in the UK (1p and 2p) are legal tender up to 20p. There are higher limits on 5p, 10p, 20p and 50p coins. This does not mean a shop is obliged to accept any amount in copper coins below 20p, nor should it automatically refuse copper payments over this amount since this is not the definition of “legal tender”, a much-misused term which applies to forms of payment acceptable in settling a debt (being any service provided prior to payment).

Wouldn't work over here :

Is there a maximum amount of 1p coins that can be accepted as payment in a shop?

Copper coins in the UK (1p and 2p) are legal tender up to 20p. There are higher limits on 5p, 10p, 20p and 50p coins. This does not mean a shop is obliged to accept any amount in copper coins below 20p, nor should it automatically refuse copper payments over this amount since this is not the definition of “legal tender”, a much-misused term which applies to forms of payment acceptable in settling a debt (being any service provided prior to payment).

when paying fines its different as its not a shop......check the linky
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-pays-parking-fine-pennies-losing-appeal.html

Last edited:
i have done this with a parking ticket in middlesbrough,£40 the woman expalined that she could refuse if she wanted to but i told her i was skint and it was my copper jar so i had no choice,

Lol - must have been a quiet day for law enforcement in that town judging by the number of cops who went!

Interesting about 1p's only being legal tender up to 20p though :uhm: Would hte same apply if you had to pay £2k with 20 x £20 notes? I doubt it lol.

they wouldnt accept that i dont think james it only adds up to £400 lol
have you got anything for sale worth £2k????

Oh yeah :lmfao:

smiley-sign-im-with-stupid-5037.gif

ill ave 2 remember that if i ave 2 pay a fine.brilliant