Car idling just under 800rpm

den911

Reaction score
Hi 1.6tdi 2011 and as you can see from the photo the rpm on idle after a warmed up engine and good run is sitting just under 800rpm car pulls and drives fine and ticks over smoothly enough...No faults showing on Carista ...Just seems strange it’s just under and not bang on 800 any any ideas possible reason .,.Thanks
B03C579F BCD5 4F39 B878 5DEFCCE7165E

Hi 1.6tdi 2011 and as you can see from the photo the rpm on idle after a warmed up engine and good run is sitting just under 800rpm car pulls and drives fine and ticks over smoothly enough...No faults showing on Carista ...Just seems strange it’s just under and not bang on 800 any any ideas possible reason .,.Thanks View attachment 184586
Some diesels have a throttle body, some don't.

Not sure about your particular engine but if it has one and needs cleaning and is slightly blocked it will effect airflow. Slowing the engine down at idle, as they're usually open a fraction during idle.

Other possible causes could be faulty sensors, blocked intake path of some description ( air filter etc)

Slightly blocked exhaust path.

Thank of the engine as a giant air pump. Any restriction is going to slow it down.

Other things could be fuel filters, you could get a vcds and check rail pressures etc. If it's a common rail.

Using a obd2 scanner read the real data of what the idle rpm is.

Vcds can be used to tweak idle, this will also show you what it is set to.

Should it idle at 800?

My S3 idles at 780'ish
That’s s good point as I was looking on the net doing some research and spotted a video of of a 1.6tdi 2011 polo that was idling at around the same as mine it could just be that it’s normal and me getting hung up about it being on bang on 800

Last edited:
That’s s good point as I was looking on the net doing some research and spotted a video of of a 1.6tdi 2011 polo that was idling at around the same as mine it could just be that it’s normal and me getting hung up about it being on bang on 800
This is the 1.6tdi polo same idle
08241342 C48C 4F69 ABD1 91124369C1D7

Looks fine - mine's similar

Reactions: den911
Same here, 61 plate 1.6tdi. Sometimes bang on, sometimes a little over, some times a little under. And around 1000 when i think it's in regen/dpf burn :)

Hi 1.6tdi 2011 and as you can see from the photo the rpm on idle after a warmed up engine and good run is sitting just under 800rpm car pulls and drives fine and ticks over smoothly enough...No faults showing on Carista ...Just seems strange it’s just under and not bang on 800 any any ideas possible reason .,.Thanks View attachment 184586
My audi is also idle on the same rpm 1.9 tdi, I guess thats normal