Car getting stolen via obd port

RichMk3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thought I'd share my list of mods for protecting yourself from thieving scum without paying the earth. I have recently done option 1 with great success to my dad's Mountune Focus ST.

Option 1. Most drastic, but more secure.

Step 1. Locate the obd port under the dash, chop the plug off and solder the cable onto a female 15pin D type VGA bulkhead connector. Make a note of the pin out, this is very important.

Step 2. Buy a short obd male to female extension lead and cut off one end leaving the same connector as the car with a length of cable.

Step 3. Solder the ends of the cable onto a male 15pin D type VGA connector making sure the pin out is correct to put it back to obd standard. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

It is now very difficult and time consuming for anybody to attach anything to the obd without you unique jumper cable.

Total cost less than £15 and 2 hours work.

Option 2. Still effective but less secure.

Step 1. Locate obd connector and remove all the pins from the socket. You do need a special tool to do this, but they are only cheap, or you can struggle with a tiny watch makers screwdriver to release the locking pins.

Step 2. Mix up all of the connecting pins and refit them to the obd connector making a note of where you have put them, again very important!

Step 3. Take obd extension cable and strip the relevant end, rearrange the pins to match what you did to the car connector and reassemble.

You now have a unique jumper lead that will only work with your car. This method is risky as it could damage car or equipment if you plug into it direct without jumper cable!

Thank you.