1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Car Dealerships closing down / redundancy

Audi Bairn Jun 4, 2020

1. Audi Bairn

Audi Bairn Moderator Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter

V6_Man likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. V6_Man

V6_Man Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Oh dear! Let's hope it is not the beginning of the next cycle of redundancies like we had in 2008/09 financial crisis.

Audi Bairn likes this.
  4. Adam14

Adam14 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I work in the finance industry and for a lot of businesses it is bleak, I fear this will only be the start of losses in some sectors. However there have definitely been winners and losers, some clients have experienced extraordinary growth over this period.

V6_Man, Audi Bairn and X3man like this.
  5. Audi Bairn

Audi Bairn Moderator Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter

Personally I think it’s going to be a lot worse than 08/09 but hoping not.
    Drops in sales of 97% and 89% The last two months will have a massive effect sadly.
    I would fully expect a raft of car deals as they try to boost sales but that won’t help any poor folk that have already lost their jobs.

V6_Man likes this.
  6. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Its bleak times and even the surge in sales when they open will not ever make it up, all for a virus that isn't the Black Death.
    I wonder how many die as a result of the side affects of this.

V6_Man and Audi Bairn like this.
  7. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@Audi Bairn - I saw this too mate
    We have a quite a few Lookers dealers near us & they are talking about shutting branches down

Near to us we have already lost a major Ford main dealer, a big JLR dealership & this was before Covid19

Audi Bairn and V6_Man like this.
  8. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

Aston Martin have been struggling for a while

Audi Bairn likes this.
  9. V6_Man

V6_Man Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

I agree mate. I was reading the other day and it said that in just the first month of the lockdown the economy tumbled by as much as it did in the 18 months after the global financial crisis in 2008/09.

And given how long we have been in the lockdown; the pace at which the economic activities have started since it was partially lifted I fear far worse.

Let's hope it all starts getting better soon. Never a good time to see someone lose a job or a company go bankrupt.

Audi Bairn likes this.
  10. Rich76

Rich76 Well-Known Member

I work for a large dealer chain in the service department but talking to the sales guys had a choice come back with a drastically reduced pay plan or stay on furlough and probably ultimately get made redundant

saying that they have been busy all week with plenty of sales and enquiries

as a service department even though we are on reduced staff we are still doing the same amount of work or there about

X3man, CHEZ, Audi Bairn and 1 other person like this.
  11. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member

One of the reasons we need to start ending this lock down now !!!!. We cant go on for much longer like this or there will be nothing left to come back too. The cure will be worse than the disease.