Car dealer query.

oldlaw

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much,percentage wise,a dealer can take off a used car? I know how long a piece of string is.

That really is a piece of string question..

Are you talking main dealer? independant garage?

Percentage is completley irrelevant.. It doesn't work like that. Some cars may have £2k plus profit in them some may be making a loss..

It's a hard question to answer without knowing what you want to buy/where from/how much you want off. Give some more details and i'll try and help..

I reckon there are some real cons out there in the nearly new market. A new car has VAT, a used one doesn't. You can break a new car price down to Total price = price *1.2. If you do the sums on the advertised nearly new and the advertised new prices, you can see that they are often trying to get away with charging you more than the cost of a new car, before tax. I've asked about this before, and told them a car is way overpriced. They have said fine, you understand that, but there are enough people out there who don't. The price stays. You should be able to take 17.67% off the price of a car as soon as it is sold, just to allow for VAT.

I am looking at a £30000 year old car at a main dealer. I would like the car at £29000 off,but don`t think that`s feasible.

I am looking at a £30000 year old car at a main dealer. I would like the car at £29000 off,but don`t think that`s feasible.

There's no harm in offering £29k for the car and see if they will accept it? If it's a very desireable car, then they can hold out for the full £30k, if it's been sat on the forecourt for a few weeks already, they might just snap your arm off! Best to make the offer near end of month naturally.

Have you spoken with the dealer yet? Is the car an ex demo/fleet/privately owned?

If you can PM me a link to the advert I can tell you what to do next.

worcester audi wanted me to pay £14,995 for a 60 reg audi a3 1.6 technik with 5k on the clock, said is that the best you can do he said yes i said but its not worth that price he wanted was the 14,995 includin part x for my ibiza worth £6200 told him its not worth it and gone for a 1.2 tsfi from the factory instead