Car Dashcam that doesnt affect DAB on Audi s3 8V: Thinkware 750

Ok ... I've just pulled my tailgate trim apart again in order to attempt to improve the DAB situation with my rear camera. It was pretty much trial and error, I'd improve the routing go for a test drive and then look for further improvements. I've now got acceptable DAB reception on all but the weakest of stations. As a rule of thumb keep all excess harness length at the back of the roof headlining and not in the tailgate, steer will clear of the antenna amplifiers (long black plastic finger sized things on either side at the top) and also avoid crossing the wires that are soldered to the backlight glass. Here's my final routing :-

IMG 0892

Reactions: pburv, jungle650, ChivsBang and 1 other person
Ok ... I've just pulled my tailgate trim apart again in order to attempt to improve the DAB situation with my rear camera. It was pretty much trial and error, I'd improve the routing go for a test drive and then look for further improvements. I've now got acceptable DAB reception on all but the weakest of stations. As a rule of thumb keep all excess harness length at the back of the roof headlining and not in the tailgate, steer will clear of the antenna amplifiers (long black plastic finger sized things on either side at the top) and also avoid crossing the wires that are soldered to the backlight glass. Here's my final routing :-

View attachment 102491

So am I right in saying that the dash cam was interfering with the radio? I'm looking at having a wired dash cam fitted (but also need to know who has dash cams and do they think the purchase is worth it. Haven't had a dash cam and have never needed one?) I know how much more dangerous the roads have become and the growth of crash scammers, but feel they prey on certain type of drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So am I right in saying that the dash cam was interfering with the radio? I'm looking at having a wired dash cam fitted (but also need to know who has dash cams and do they think the purchase is worth it. Haven't had a dash cam and have never needed one?) I know how much more dangerous the roads have become and the growth of crash scammers, but feel they prey on certain type of drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - just the rear cam as the radio antenna are printed onto the rear screen and there are two amplifiers mounted high in the tailgate. This is now much more acceptable with my new routing as before it would cut out completely- BlackVue is 'famous' if you like for this issue hence the existence of this thread I believe.

As for the question of having a dash cam at all I'd recommend having at least the front. I feel more reassured knowing that if someone does something stupid that I have evidence rather than it being their word against mine. Also some insurers offer a discount on the premium but check with them to see what models of dash cam are specified by them.

Reactions: pburv and ChivsBang
Forgot about this but here's a quick update on curtain airbag to vehicle assembly :-
CAB_1.jpg

With this in mind I have routed my dashcam cable as per the image below crossing the base of the A pillar trim rather than along the top :-
CAB_2.jpg

Reactions: jungle650 and pburv
Hi guys

Installed and working! Will write a more detailed update later

Many thanks for the advice!

But for now... With all the timer switches in the off position, and also switch 1 and 2 there... This should be set for a 12v cut off... Checking the battery reads around 12.4/12.5v.. But it simply refuses to work on that setting so I assume it thinks the battery is less than 12v?

With switch 2 ON this is set for 11.8v as far as I can tell and that works with the car off.

But I didn't want to leave it like that if 11.8v is not enough to start the car?

I will most likely add a 24h time cut off also, but I'm still curious as to the answer of the above please

Reactions: Rob2k68
Hi guys

Installed and working! Will write a more detailed update later

Many thanks for the advice!

But for now... With all the timer switches in the off position, and also switch 1 and 2 there... This should be set for a 12v cut off... Checking the battery reads around 12.4/12.5v.. But it simply refuses to work on that setting so I assume it thinks the battery is less than 12v?

With switch 2 ON this is set for 11.8v as far as I can tell and that works with the car off.

But I didn't want to leave it like that if 11.8v is not enough to start the car?

I will most likely add a 24h time cut off also, but I'm still curious as to the answer of the above please

Box is doing what it should, ie cut power when battery is low. There is a range tolerance so I would not set it on 11.8v.

Just charge it and set to 12v, then leave that setting well alone.

Yeah sounds about right mate - had mine at 11.8 for a number of weeks but now have it on 12..0. Actually bought a CTek MXS5 a couple of weeks back and plan to condition the battery monthly.

Yeah sounds about right mate - had mine at 11.8 for a number of weeks but now have it on 12..0. Actually bought a CTek MXS5 a couple of weeks back and plan to condition the battery monthly.

Exactly what I did / do !

Jungle

Thanks guys

But on 12v it wouldn't run for more than a minute or so after me turning the car off, despite the battery still reading 12.4v? So that basically means the parking mode was somewhat useless? Or are you saying my battery was likely too discharged, despite the reading from the multimeter?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here lol

Also short update... I have a feeling when I said it was not working with the mini blade fuses, I have a feeling it was simply something to do with the voltage settings as I've now noticed even with the full size blade fuses... I'm now using the ones you used @Rob2k68, cig lighter for switched and top left full size empty slot for permanent live

Edit: Rob are those highlighted / boxed options your chosen / recommended I assume?

Edit: Rob are those highlighted / boxed options your chosen / recommended I assume?

Yes, I think they are mate but I didn't highlight them it's a pic I downloaded from PMPro easier to have on my phone for reference.

I'll make a point of walking to my car every hour after parking up at work to see how long it stays on for and get back to you. If a small amount of time then I'll probably switch back to 11.8 as never had any issues starting the car st that setting.

Reactions: azibux1
PMPro set to 12v only lasted somewhere between 2 1/2 - 5 1/2 hours, I got stuck in a meeting so couldn't check hourly as planned.

I'll be setting it back to 11.8v.

Aha thanks for investigating

Felt a bit bad you'd gone to so much effort but seems you're better off anyway as you now know yours doesn't last as long as you expected haha

Cool, if you had no starting issues I shall leave mine on 11.8v then and 24h timer

Thanks!!

People at work (assumption) must have thought you really missed missed your car going out there every hour haha :D

Edit: I assume like I said then that the voltage monitoring on it is not so accurate as it maybe could be, hence why it was cutting off my camera when it thought it was at 12v when in reality it was 12.45ish volts. The sticker on the unit says plus or minus .1v accuracy but that doesn't seem true then lol.

2nd edit: Probably also why you never had an issue starting at 11.8v, because your battery was probably actually much nearer to 12v

I assume cables tidied away (wrapped up) like this all together won't cause any issues with heat?

I figure it's what you've all done anyway but thought I might as well check

20160912 171514

I assume cables tidied away (wrapped up) like this all together won't cause any issues with heat?

I figure it's what you've all done anyway but thought I might as well check

View attachment 103300

Yes fine mate mines tied up in a similar manner only I removed the large cigarette lighter socket and used bullet connectors then back to the PMPro.

Thanks for confirming!

Just an update in case anyone was wondering.

Left the PMP set to 11.8v and 24 hour timer.

It worked for pretty much 24 hours (I know because there was a recorded video from near the 23 hour mark).

Voltage when I parked up was ~12.5v
Voltage when checked after the 24 hour cut off (actually checked around 40 hours after parking) was 12.04v
Voltage after me sitting with car running for a few (5?) minutes looking at the recorded videos was ~12.84v

For reference so you know about consumption (assume it uses more when it actually records), it recorded about 8 videos in that time (garaged, but no false alarms, there was genuine movement in the garage for those videos)

Thought I'd just write that for anyone curious. I was quite surprised by the way it got up to 12.84v so quickly.

So overall, no concerns over voltage from my corner. Quite happy with that :)

Just an update in case anyone was wondering.

Left the PMP set to 11.8v and 24 hour timer.

It worked for pretty much 24 hours (I know because there was a recorded video from near the 23 hour mark).

Voltage when I parked up was ~12.5v
Voltage when checked after the 24 hour cut off (actually checked around 40 hours after parking) was 12.04v
Voltage after me sitting with car running for a few (5?) minutes looking at the recorded videos was ~12.84v

For reference so you know about consumption (assume it uses more when it actually records), it recorded about 8 videos in that time (garaged, but no false alarms, there was genuine movement in the garage for those videos)

Thought I'd just write that for anyone curious. I was quite surprised by the way it got up to 12.84v so quickly.

So overall, no concerns over voltage from my corner. Quite happy with that :)

Excellent !! Thanks for sharing that - good to know.

No probs!

Also was nice to see the footage is somewhat buffered (I believe?)... So when there is motion, it actually gives you the few seconds from before it actually detected the motion in the clip

Interesting to see that the latest firmware release for the 2 channel BlackVue DR650S and DR650GW released two days ago included the following in the changelog :-

- DAB interference mitigation

Just updated mine so will see if there's an improvement on the way home tonight.

Reactions: jungle650
Interesting to see that the latest firmware release for the 2 channel BlackVue DR650S and DR650GW released two days ago included the following in the changelog :-

- DAB interference mitigation

Just updated mine so will see if there's an improvement on the way home tonight.
How is it been Rob after the update?I have got the wifi 650 dual channel. Many thanks

How is it been Rob after the update?I have got the wifi 650 dual channel. Many thanks

Hi mate, it's still very station dependant but on the one that I have difficulty with (Free radio 80s LoL) it still cut out twice but for shorter times and seemed a more consistent signal strength so definitely an improvement but the issue hasn't gone away entirely.

Reactions: pburv