Car covered in white overspray

Leevr

Reaction score
Came out this morning to use the car than not moved since the weekend. Only to find the whole car covered in mist white overspray. Very fine uniform dots. Mostly heavy to the rear of the car. Anyone know of a safe way to get it off. Tried quick detailer and glass cleaner. Has some effect but not great. Tried taking pictures but phone wont pick it out against the glass and paint.

G3 fine, that'll probably do it, make sure it's wet when in use, if fine isn't coarse enough, just use G3 normal, that'll work for sure again make sure it's uses with water.

Reactions: Leevr
@NHN. Thanks. This product?
Screenshot 20200117 112115 Amazon Shopping

Yeah but it's much cheaper on eBay or other sellers afaik, Halfords have this but it's bottled different for consumers, yellow bottles are more body shop version, we products afaik.

I have yellow bottle versions, great products.

Tbh buy both as very useful for little shop marks.

I would try a clay bar first, they take off all manner of contaminants including hardened tree sap. You may still need to use a polish but it can be less abrasive.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Leevr
Have you tried a clay bar?
In my last job I was parked on the streets and the council decided to paint lines and covered side of the car in white dots. Quick clay did the trick. Car was well protected with a sealant/detailer so that probably helped so the crap didn’t stick very well.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
Only saw it this morning. So not had a chance other than washing it to get an idea on how bad it is. Will try all to get rid of the paint.

You mention paint..... do you think it could've been new white lining on the road somewhere or has it appeared since you parked?

You mention paint..... do you think it could've been new white lining on the road somewhere or has it appeared since you parked?
It's been since it's been parked up. Washed last weekend and had no issues. Been sat at the better halfs flat. All week, so I can only assume it's been someone round there.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Many moons ago . We had decorators in work to sort out a room for prepping laboratory equipment. The room was sprayed white.....( you can see where this is going)....:hopelessness::hopelessness::hopelessness: The window was left open to get rid of the fumes....What the decorators didn't notice while spraying, the next door neighbours metallic red Metro was parked under the window.......We had to pay for a full exterior detail:sadlike::sadlike:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jcbmally
Many moons ago . We had decorators in work to sort out a room for prepping laboratory equipment. The room was sprayed white.....( you can see where this is going)....:hopelessness::hopelessness::hopelessness: The window was left open to get rid of the fumes....What the decorators didn't notice while spraying, the next door neighbours metallic red Metro was parked under the window.......We had to pay for a full exterior detail:sadlike::sadlike:
:haudrauf: Metro, it would have ADDED to the rust proofing lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
:haudrauf: Metro, it would have ADDED to the rust proofing lol
Was waiting for the witty replies haha......It wasn't just a Metro............It was an MG metro.....even more rust lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jcbmally
Was waiting for the witty replies haha......It wasn't just a Metro............It was an MG metro.....even more rust lol
Lol, MG Metro, they were a nippy car, rusty death trap, but nippy.

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn and Sandra
Definitely a clay bar with a detailer spray, terrific for removing overspray with no issues...Meguiar's make a kit for this

Meguiar's® Smooth Surface™ Clay Kit, G1016, Kit

Includes 2 premium 80 gram bars, Meguiar's® Quik Detailer® Mist and Wipe used for the clay lubricant, 1 high quality Meguiar's® Supreme Shine™ Microfiber Towel, and a case help preserve the clay over time

Features non-abrasive clay bars that work on any paint finish, especially clear coats

Quickly and easily removes bonded surface contaminants

Restores a "smooth as glass" finish

Completely safe and easy to use

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv and Leevr
Clay bar, clay bar, clay bar!

I had this with black over spray on a red car many years ago, the answer was polish and elbow grease. Then I would clay the car etc and finish with a wax.

May I add that a bit of petrol on a rag to get the thick off wouldn’t hurt but obviously you would need to give it a good wash etc after. That would sort it most definitely mate.

Reactions: Leevr and Fatbloke
First pass on a ****** cold morning with the clay bar on the rear window. Noticable improvement. Rest of the car to go.
20200118 092227 1470x3024
20200118 092659 1470x3024

Reactions: pburv, MikeParkin and Audi Bairn
I went to buy a used car with my sister many moons back from a car supermarket, her px was a Metro, it was a decent little cat to be fair. The deal on the new car was done and the guy had some paperwork for her to sign, before she did I asked to look at it! There was a -£10 on the figures!!! I said "What's the -£10?", he replied "That's her px for the Metro" :blink:. I said add that price to the new car and we'll take the Metro home with us, on the way home we stopped at a garage 'Cars for cash' and sold it them for £500 :D

Reactions: KenL, pburv, Jcbmally and 1 other person
First pass on a ****** cold morning with the clay bar on the rear window. Noticable improvement. Rest of the car to go. View attachment 196486 View attachment 196487
Do you live near a building site?
Looks similar to crap on my car when I moved. Figured out it was either someone cutting plasterboard near my car or cutting concrete slabs worse on damp wet days as the stuff sets and it’s hard/solid when it sets.

First pass on a ****** cold morning with the clay bar on the rear window. Noticable improvement. Rest of the car to go. View attachment 196486 View attachment 196487
I'm guessing the deposits are air born paint. The vast majority of paint used today is water based and you might be able to dissolve it. I learnt by mistake when using meths to remove scuff marks off skirting boards in the hall that it will dissolve some water based paints, in my case acyrlic eggshell.
You could try a spot of it on a microfibre cloth on the glass areas.

Colin

Well after many hours I've admitted defeat. I reckon I'm going to have to get a machine polish done. I have got G3 fine coming. But in certain areas it just wont shift. Car looks good from afar. Close up on the bonnet and parts of the roof are still spotty. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
20200118 145135 3024x1470
20200118 145114 3024x1470
20200118 123558 3024x1470
20200118 123517 3024x1470

Reactions: Bryant1998, Peto, MikeParkin and 1 other person
I went to buy a used car with my sister many moons back from a car supermarket, her px was a Metro, it was a decent little cat to be fair. The deal on the new car was done and the guy had some paperwork for her to sign, before she did I asked to look at it! There was a -£10 on the figures!!! I said "What's the -£10?", he replied "That's her px for the Metro" :blink:. I said add that price to the new car and we'll take the Metro home with us, on the way home we stopped at a garage 'Cars for cash' and sold it them for £500 :D
Would that be the garage Ray Charles use to own...lol:sunglasses:

Well after many hours I've admitted defeat. I reckon I'm going to have to get a machine polish done. I have got G3 fine coming. But in certain areas it just wont shift. Car looks good from afar. Close up on the bonnet and parts of the roof are still spotty. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
View attachment 196512 View attachment 196513 View attachment 196514 View attachment 196515
Despite the spots of paint that's an awesome looking car. I'm errrr green with envy.:thumbs up:

Reactions: MikeParkin
Despite the spots of paint that's an awesome looking car. I'm errrr green with envy.:thumbs up:
I like this BRIGHT car, but don't know if I could live with it!!! Does it cry midlife crisis? :p

d86ca184fdb444c491befe3cc3fbb96b.jpg

130f9653f611475c96a7591e4e597309.jpg

0331c5e97c9d4e1eba25ba3f1840e349.jpg

a1a1ff3f0d8e450e9f2eb7b95036bd07.jpg

Reactions: KenL, jrumball and pburv
I like this BRIGHT car, but don't know if I could live with it!!! Does it cry midlife crisis? :p

d86ca184fdb444c491befe3cc3fbb96b.jpg

130f9653f611475c96a7591e4e597309.jpg

0331c5e97c9d4e1eba25ba3f1840e349.jpg

a1a1ff3f0d8e450e9f2eb7b95036bd07.jpg
No it cry's a touch of .... David Dickinson
Ddpoints.jpg
:scared2:

Reactions: S32B and MikeParkin
Acetone .
acetone is strong ! never use it as the bumpers are plastic u will burn the color and make smudges !!! even IPA is dangerous !! just hot water with quality soap and polisher ..
white spirit is best as it needs to be oily ! or petrol or with diesel

View attachment 196512 View attachment 196513 View attachment 196514 View attachment 196515

would probably go for a slightly more aggressive clay. With a rotary or da the pads could pick up one of those spots and create a shedload of swirls.

would probably go for a slightly more aggressive clay. With a rotary or da the pads could pick up one of those spots and create a shedload of swirls.
Any recommendations on what claybar would suit?

Any recommendations on what claybar would suit?

I’ve always found meguiars(not sure which one) quite aggressive compared to the bilt hamber soft which is my go to clay bar for light decon like tar spots.
BH does a soft, regular and medium. Maybe the medium might work.
carpro and bilt hamber stuff is my go to brands for detailing stuff. Can’t go wrong with either.

acetone is strong ! never use it as the bumpers are plastic u will burn the color and make smudges !!! even IPA is dangerous !! just hot water with quality soap and polisher ..
white spirit is best as it needs to be oily ! or petrol or with diesel

White spirit won't touch or work like acetone , acetone best as diluted , readily available and cheap in the form of nail polish remover .