Car buying advice please!

Shy19s

Oil running through my veins.
Reaction score
Hi guys, hope you are all doing well..

My cousin is buying a car he's turning 21 in april and he has around 5-6k to spend, insurance money is not a problem...

He's thinking about a Civic Type R as we've both been playing around with Vtec engines since we were young and the k20 engines are brilliant...but he just wants some more options as he needs something..

1. Reliable
2. Economical
3. Quick
4. Comfortable

He does alot mileage to uni and back, and doesnt want to put petrol in a car thats boring, but also doesnt want somthing that is just stupid, rattley etc.. been thinking of cars that are turbo diesel for example as a a remap is definatly on the cards, doesnt matter what it is he buys.

Quite a few cars are going cheap these days, and ive thought a few to spark some inspiration to give you an idea what kinda cars we've been looking at..

Audi TT 225
Golf R32
53 plate A4 1.8t S line
CTR

Kinda stuck after that... Any ideas guys?

The old shape Leon was fantastic, I had a 2.0 stdi and it was as quick as f**k.
Not too keen on the new shape though.

u cant get an r32 golf for 6k.....

I would go for something like a leon cupra r (as said) or if he likes jap cars a celica 190 VVTL-i. These use a V-Tec derived engine and are about as quick as a CTR but no way near as chav and much nice inside. (I used to have one lol)

I think mazda rx8's are down around that price now, and the high powered verision goes like stink.

So....

Cupra R
Celica 190 VVTL-i (or T-sport)
RX8
scooby?

I would say Leon Cupra R.

I had one for a while and loved it. Quick, economical enough, drove well. Plastics are a bit under parr of the S3 but did the job well enough.

I would have another one, if I was in a different situation.

Seat Leon Cupra FR PD150, very nice mate...

R32's they are going V cheap now and nice, but heavy on the petty!!

A4 with a GMBH bodykit on it TDI v nice as well.

Oh and finally one car that nobody's mentioned yet, dont know if they are any good, but what you got to lose........an S3???? :eyebrows:

thanks for all the replies...

even tho the cupras have good set ups and are quite quick, he doesnt like the look of them, am i right in thinking they are all 5 door?

I would go for something like a leon cupra r (as said) or if he likes jap cars a celica 190 VVTL-i. These use a V-Tec derived engine and are about as quick as a CTR but no way near as chav and much nice inside. (I used to have one lol)

I think mazda rx8's are down around that price now, and the high powered verision goes like stink.

So....

Cupra R
Celica 190 VVTL-i (or T-sport)
RX8
scooby?

celica vvt is far too loud for what hes looking for, the massive tail on the back and rediculous body kit is far too much..the celicas do have a nice dashboard but uncomfortable seats compared to the CTR and no room in the back...
the rx8s are very juicy and hes not too much of a fan of the engines.. dont even get me started on a scooby... please dont comment on a CTR being chavvy when you recomend cars like the above lol...
I think he likes the CTR because of the engine and how tuneable the suspension is. Even if it does look like a beefed up version of a granny wagon:whistle2:

lol not trying to knock you back, thanks for your inputs guys, i did mention them to him but still undecided.

I personally like the cupras he's not a fan, maybe we'll go out for a test drive and see what happends..

JoJo i do like the idea of a PD engine, dont you have a passat PD? have you had it remaped?

Tell him to get a decent Fabia vRS and re-map it.
Then not only will he pull away from many so called quicker cars on the road, leaving them in a cloud of soot...he can laugh at the expression on their face when they realise it was a Skoda!

175-180 BHP and around 280+ lb-ft of torque...whilst still getting 45 MPG.

It's funny watching some of these high revving cars get their engines stoked up to 8000RPM+ to get all 140 lb-ft of torque and 190+ BHP working...when you have just used 2800 lb-ft at 2200 RPM and 3 gears to dissappear down the road leaving nothing but a cloud of soot behind.

Happy days... :thumbsup:

JoJo i do like the idea of a PD engine, dont you have a passat PD? have you had it remaped?

Yup, mapped and still going strong at over 160k miles on the ODO, pretty much averages 40mpg all year round(it's a heavy car) and reliable.
Fabia vRS as mentioned by Glenn above is quite a good choice also.

My last car was a CTR. Had it for 4.5 years having bought it new. I loved it and had no problems whatsoever. Would definately recommend one to your cousin.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400