Car behaving strangely

Dazmo

Reaction score
Need help guys,

My a4 is all of a sudden playing up, firstly my steering does not feel right, when I'm going round a round about or bend the car is not gripping and seems to just slide off the bend instead of going around it, tyres are all fine but it's just not gripping, it seems to just want to go in another direction, under steering like a fwd car!!

Car does not feel in control and easily slides from inside lane into outside lane, even on a minor turn.
I also have a strange clicking noise coming from the front the car at 40mph plus I'm assuming this may be a problem with the drive shaft but not sure.My first idea is to get my Allignment checked, but I don't see how a slight misalignment could cause such dramatic problems.

Im worried as the car does not feel safe, the steering feels disjointed/unresponsive any ideas?

Not good as I have an mot due soon

Last edited:
over inflated ?
crap tyres
but if mine was that scary id have it in a garage been checked over

Had it 3 years almost!

Tyre pressures all normal, tyres are vred ultra sessantas so not crap bezza

no the vred are very good i always use them
has ur lass been driveing and smacked a curb ?

no the vred are very good i always use them
has ur lass been driveing and smacked a curb ?

No only I drive it, never hit anything, will get the tracking checked and go from there because it does not feel right

id put it in for a free tracking check
and ask the lads to have a good look round see if anything is snapped etc

in sheffield most places
ok it may end up not been a free check when they tell you its out
dont take this as a recomendation but down the road from me theres a kwikfit that offer FREE tracking check so they all may be offering it
not that they know how to do the tracking anyway

Sounds similar to what happened to my old Mondeo, needed a new steering rack?

£250 ten years ago I think?
Just had a quick look & a new rack is about £150 for my Audi.
There's far less room under the bonnet to work these days, got to be at least two hours labour, I'd be happy with £400 as a shot in the dark?

£250 ten years ago I think?
Just had a quick look & a new rack is about £150 for my Audi.
There's far less room under the bonnet to work these days, got to be at least two hours labour, I'd be happy with £400 as a shot in the dark?

I reckon it's my power steering pump on its way out, don't think it's the steering rack

As you say its under steering like a fwd car I presume it's a Quattro. Get the transmission checked, it may only be working in 2wd, hopefully not, also check anti roll bars and linkages are all intact.

As you say its under steering like a fwd car I presume it's a Quattro. Get the transmission checked, it may only be working in 2wd, hopefully not, also check anti roll bars and linkages are all intact.
The torsen quattro is 50/50% split between the front and back axles no haldex nonsense there ! I would check the antir roll bar bushes, when the plastic colars break it's new ARB time. Some people replace them with powerflex jobbies- i find them a little expensive. As advised, a worn inner TRE on the steering rack can make the car feel all over the place. How long ago were the tyres fitted ?

my last one i had reconed by GSF
150 but was told there was 3 diffrent kinds for mine
and 2-3 hours labour fluids id say £300 would be about right

Well it should not be the rear arb as its a brand new RS4 bar with bushes, but will check front.

I did you some testing today and it only happens when turning right, turning left appears normal, turning right at low speeds seems ok but if your going quicker and turning more shaply it starts to slide

The torsen quattro is 50/50% split between the front and back axles no haldex nonsense there ! I would check the antir roll bar bushes, when the plastic colars break it's new ARB time. Some people replace them with powerflex jobbies- i find them a little expensive. As advised, a worn inner TRE on the steering rack can make the car feel all over the place. How long ago were the tyres fitted ?

Tyres fit November and have a good 6-7mm on them all round, booked the car in at vagtech next week for a full 4wd Allignment and I have asked them to check everything from the cv joints and wheel bearings to the driveshaft and bushes

Wasn't suggesting there were any Haldex issues, as you say it's Torsen, but could still give problems. Does it drive ok and grip ok when accelerating from a standstill, or do tyres scrabble for grip, which if they do, could suggest a transmission issue.

Ok after more testing, the problem seems to have just stopped!

Its not doing it anymore, which leads me to believe it could be an intermitant electrical fault or problem with the ESP.