Car battery suddenly draining!

spinaltap

Reaction score
The battery in my A4 is the original one as far as I know, so just over 6 years old. After having no problems with it over the last year or so, it could barely start the car today with the meter barely above 8v. After taking it for a long run it was staying at about 12v after switching engine off, but a few hours later it's back down to under 10v now. Could the battery have suddenly died overnight or could there be another electrical problem draining it?

Thanks for any advice ...

Battery sounds goosed ,,,,,,,happens like that ..have you checked the water levels in the battery?

Like Andy says, six years is time to change.

I've had that happen, where a battery has seemingly discharged overnight, but in fact has died. If you charge it up, it might take on some charge, but the same will probably happen in a couple of days, because ultimately the battery has reached the end if its life.

I don't know if it still applies, but when it happened to me, I was abe to save money by buying the replacement from a VW rather than an Audi dealer.

Yep. def the battery, mine just went and the car is six years old. Can't complain as the car has now covered nearly 160K!!!!

Good to hear it's just battery! How easy is it to get it out to check levels/replace etc? It looks like I've got to remove the whole plastic section above it that goes over base of windscreen, running width of engine bay, or isn't it that bad?

And how much should battery be? The one in Halfords was £70 and looking online I've seen no-brand ones for £50.

Thanks

You will have to remove the plastic shroud.

I bought my new battery for my A6 from VW in the end.

Bought a battery from Halfrauds "yes sir this is definately the battery you want!"...went to fit.....about an inch longer than original and wouldnt fit.

Went to a motor factors "yes sir this is definately the battery you want!"...went to fit.....about an inch 1/2 longer than original and wouldnt fit!!!

Got peeved off and went to vw. Got nice discount off my mate and a genuine battery that fitted perfectly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

So moral of the story, check your battery size BEFORE buying a new one. May not be the same on an A4 but an A6 battery clamps couldn't be adjusted to fit bigger/smaller batteries.