Facelift Car back from repair windscreen no tinted sunband

Wxm

Reaction score
IMG 4545

New screen

IMG 4544

Old screen

Just for my car back from repair after vandalism damage and the new screen hasn't got the tinted Sunband across the top, despite me asking about 6 times and being assured it would haves. My A3 is 1 month old and definitely did have it from the factory as standard.

Am I being too fussy asking for it to be fitted with a screen with a sunband??

I'd have expected, no, demanded that a <12 month old car got OEM, Audi badged glass of the same spec and features as the original. In face I've never had issues getting this on anything up to my 5 year old A6 back in 2011.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jimbo10
Not fussy at all. You paid for the sunband and should expect it on the replacement.

Reactions: RSS-S3 and Rob2k68
I'd have expected, no, demanded that a <12 month old car got OEM, Audi badged glass of the same spec and features as the original. In face I've never had issues getting this on anything up to my 5 year old A6 back in 2011.
+1

Reactions: RSS-S3
The screen is OEM Audi glass. I'm just ****** off because I asked them 6 times if it would have it and was assured it would . It's a VW /Audi approved bodyshop. Plus I'd only had the car 2 weeks brand new! So just 1 month old now!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Take it back and insist they do it correctly.
If it's an insurance job, tell them and they ca refuse to pay.

Unacceptable. Call them immediately and demand nothing but the same spec that was on before.

Idiots! Especially considering you called them six times.

I have emailed them and I've also emailed the woman from the insurance co that is dealing with my claim. I know it could be deemed fussy but I want the correct screen and I hope they don't try putting on some after market tinting film!

Why am I getting this when trying to upload a pic??
IMG 4548

Is not the one with a sunband also accoustic?

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Wxm
View attachment 129894
New screen

View attachment 129895
Old screen

Just for my car back from repair after vandalism damage and the new screen hasn't got the tinted Sunband across the top, despite me asking about 6 times and being assured it would haves. My A3 is 1 month old and definitely did have it from the factory as standard.

I needed a new screen on my previous S3, Autoglass turned up with a screen....no sunband.

Luckily I'd read about this before, and it seems to happen all the time. So I checked the screen before they touched my car, and sure enough it had no sunband. So had to reschedule for the correct screen.

Obviously it may not be Autoglass in your case, but I'd definitely request a replacement like the OEM screen.

AL

Not at all, it's what you paid for and it's a selling point! If you took your car in with 19" alloys and then replaced them with 18" alloys you'd complain right?

Is not the one with a sunband also accoustic?
Front has shade band, it's only the sides that are acoustic glass.

Shade band and acoustic insulation are both inter layers sandwiched between two plys of glass during the lamination process.

Side glass is toughened and not acoustic that’s generally offered much higher in the range as an option to have laminated sidelights - think it’s an option on the A7 and even then it’s front door glass only.

I’d phone an Audi parts dept give them your reg and ask for the exact part number for your screen then give that to whoever has done the repair.

I have done and they have me a part number for 'laminated screen with colour strip' I have this to the bodyshop and it's the same part number of the screen they ordered. They're now investigating further

I'm just about to go through this as i have a nice long crack in my windscreen from a tiny stone chip ! I have matrix LED and as part of the package it comes with heat insulating glass with sun shield. The insurance company who is using autoglass said they would use glass to the same specification. I asked them to quote me on OEM glass and they are getting back to me . Any opinion on auto glass ? or wether I should pay extra for the OEM Glass. The car also haas front camera and sensors anyone have any experience with what to expect as they will have to be calibrated...

Reactions: GW1
I just recently went through this. I called to book the replacement, insurance co sent me to Autoglass. Very efficient book in process. I pointed out that my windscreen has wiper detect, acoustic glass and sun shield strip. I asked about this and the girl on the phone said yes, they had all that info from the licence number, and the new screen would be an Audi one.
When the guy came to fit he ran through all the features and confirmed that the screen he had was correct.
It has the Audi rings on it.
So one way or another, very pleased.:footy:

I just recently went through this. I called to book the replacement, insurance co sent me to Autoglass. Very efficient book in process. I pointed out that my windscreen has wiper detect, acoustic glass and sun shield strip. I asked about this and the girl on the phone said yes, they had all that info from the licence number, and the new screen would be an Audi one.
When the guy came to fit he ran through all the features and confirmed that the screen he had was correct.
It has the Audi rings on it.
So one way or another, very pleased.:footy:

Interested to read this - I booked my repair with Autoglass today. I told them I had Sun strip, auto wipers and auto lights. They did say that the replacement wouldn’t have Audi rings (I’m not bothered) BUT I didn’t mention I had Matrix lights - is the matrix system linked to the windscreen (camera ??)
in anyway?

Any ideas......
Thanks

My replacement wasn’t in stock - I had to wait a couple of weeks. Wonder if that made a difference?

Yes it is it uses the camera in the windscreen to choose which leds to turn on and off etc... I'm not having to much luck at the moment 5 phone calls 3 promised call backs and 3 different sets of information. At the moment I think I am waiting for AXA to approve original glass hopefully, I've been told they will pay for it and that they won't by different people. I think because of the camera I will pay the difference just to be safe and know it is the right spec.

My windscreen has the option code of 4GH (Windshield in heat-insulating glass with sunshield). I have matrix LED Lane keeping auto lights and washers, traffic camera, recogniseation all things that rely on the camera.

I phoned my local Audi dealership who said they used auto glass and that the windscreen was £330 and fitting another £300.... So the insurance has to be cheaper i hope.

Will see what they say

Thanks for that - I didn’t know there was a camera in the windscreen for the Matrix Lights. I will get back on to them tomorrow to no doubt start the frustrating journey you’re on........
Good luck

I think the camera for High Beam assist is different if you don't have Pre sense lane assist or matrix LED and that it is part of the the mirror holder thing.... where as if you have any of the other stuff you get the one sandwiched to the inside of the windscreen at the top ( a triangle in the middle taken out of the black surround. I may be completely wrong...... =) Bad picture below believe the circle is for the rain sensor.IMG 3951