Can't unlock car when its freezing

Kitchy

Reaction score
when its cold outside my car wont unlock i use the remote and the doors wont open, even when i use the key i cant get in through the doors only the boot, then the doors open perfectly from the inside, help!!!

Pour some warm water over the locks to melt the ice. When they are working spray them with wd40 inside and the mechanism. Mine opened this morn but then froze and the door wouldn't shut just bounced back open. I did above fine now.

I think it say's in the Owners Manual that the locks are Heated?? Something like hold the handle up for so many second's and they will start to thaw out.

Had to tug and tug to break the icey seal on mine this morning. Drove the Discovery to work today in case it snowed on me - the heated seats and heated front screen were welcome!

mine has been fine and it was like -5 or -6 last nite and my street was lik an ice rink this morning!it opened first time with the remota and the doors werent frozen or anything?what i do is polish with thick waz inside the doors and rub some on the seals coz the frost wont stick to it!it sounds wierd but it does work!!

Yeap the locks are heated, could you hear the lock pump running in the boot when the remote was used, as it opened manually, which suggests the vacuum system isnt running at 1st, manually works by mechanics as such, wire pulling the latch, just an idea maybe the pump has frozen or the vacuum isnt enough to release the frozen latch where as a manual pull would.

The locks on my 8P & others with keys work by a plastic round piece in the lock mechanism, that hits a microswitch that signals to unlock/lock so, but iirc from my S3 the key used to only do that door & seemed mechanical not electrical, but could be different tbh as they changed parts very often, strange key didnt unlock unless yours is a facelift as I seem to remember they changed something on the locks.

key wouldnt unlock it as it was really stiff, the door handles pulled up but didnt open door, the doors themselves wernt frozen shut because they opened with no effort from the inside

Get one of these installed. Helps greatly.

garage-doors-01.jpg

:)

Photo0909.jpg

This is what froze mine. Pump worked fine but door was stuck. When open it would'nt close again so as mentioned earlier what I did sorted it.

Ah that image now reminds me of my old S3, yeah it had ice at the top exactly where the snow has settled across the seals, also the windows didnt open iirc, damn, brings back memories for sure.