Can't solve fuel in oil smell hellllp

Julian smith

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I lost my axx engine early last year to low oil pressure, i found an excellentent replacement that had only covered 5k since being rebuilt to a high standard as follows.. axx block fully rebuilt with integrated drop in rods and CDL top end,
we added s3 alloy IC, turbo back milltek with sports cat, pipercross panel filter new pcv and revised DV,
I also had the ko3 fully rebuilt as doing the ko4 conversion later.
Just to add the car was and still is running a stage 1 map.
Once up and running we had some problems on start up jerking for first couple of minutes but fine once warm.
We found an issue with the runner flap motor so fitted a spare, although the issue improved a lot it's still there and thottle is very sensitive.
After first few hundred miles we found some oil vapour misting by filter housing and smelt fuel in the oil so I sent my injectors of to Niki at tech to be fully serviced and given clean bill of health (thanks for great job guys) we also fitted new OEM hpfp and filter housing.
I've run the car for no more than 2 hundred miles performance is fine apart from cold start I mentioned earlier.
Oil still smells of fuel?
Plugs are perfect, compression test petfect and not one code being thrown up.
I'm super paranoid to drive the car as don't want to and can't afford to lose another motor.
Any help/input would be greatly appreciated guys please can you help?

P.s I have read the possibility of it being the secondary fuel pump or poss O2 sensor causing over fuelling thanks guys

Last edited:
I would guess at "over-fueling" which would point to either a mapping or injector issue. If it is this, more fuel injected into the engine than it can cope with, can result in "piston wash" which by removing lubricating engine oil, can result in premature piston/cylinder wear. Often evidenced on start up and for a minute or two afterwards.

I would guess at "over-fueling" which would point to either a mapping or injector issue. If it is this, more fuel injected into the engine than it can cope with, can result in "piston wash" which by removing lubricating engine oil, can result in premature piston/cylinder wear. Often evidenced on start up and for a minute or two afterwards.

Reactions: Julian smith and abmat
I would remove the map as a starting point as some cheap remaps will just throw too much fuel in.

Reactions: Julian smith and abmat

Great thanks mate.
The injectors are 100% but the map is dubious how can I reset the ECU?

If the injectors are normal and OK, I would definitely suspect the "map". On standard/factory ECU software "map" an overly rich combustion mixture would cause and error code with the pre-cat O2 sensor as it struggled (and failed) to control the mixture and probably also the post-cat O2 sensor as well as it would detect an overly rich mixture by a high CO exhaust gas content. The fact that your instrument panel isn't lit up like a Christmas tree suggests the ECU software has been mucked about with. As far as I know, there is no way to revert back to the standard map. I would use a firm in your area, with an established and good reputation, to remap your ECU with a decent programme. Revo have a good reputation but not cheap.

Welcome to REVO | Only REVO

Reactions: Julian smith