Can't see contacts from phone when using Remote SIM function

PeteBSK

Reaction score
Hi all. Rather than go for a new SIM (and associated monthly cost) to use the online features of MMI Plus, I swapped my phone for a Samsung Galaxy (Note 4) to use the Remote SIM functionality and then get all of the MMI Plus features, like Google Earth, MyAudi stuff etc..

Google Earth works well as does the features like Weather, Train Times.but I cannot seem to access the contacts on my Samsung phone to make handsfree calls to them when connected in Remote SIM mode? The Telephone function on the car (new A6 with MMI Plus) shows no contacts available.

Now the phone is a work phone and we have to use a service called AirWatch that handles security on the syncing of Email and Calendar items, but all of my contacts are available in the standard Android phone book. Just wondering if I have to connect the phone via Bluetooth, copy ALL of the contacts over that way and then revert back to Remote SIM mode?

Anyone any experience of any Android device working in Remote SIM mode?

Cheers

Hi all. Rather than go for a new SIM (and associated monthly cost) to use the online features of MMI Plus, I swapped my phone for a Samsung Galaxy (Note 4) to use the Remote SIM functionality and then get all of the MMI Plus features, like Google Earth, MyAudi stuff etc..

Google Earth works well as does the features like Weather, Train Times.but I cannot seem to access the contacts on my Samsung phone to make handsfree calls to them when connected in Remote SIM mode? The Telephone function on the car (new A6 with MMI Plus) shows no contacts available.

Now the phone is a work phone and we have to use a service called AirWatch that handles security on the syncing of Email and Calendar items, but all of my contacts are available in the standard Android phone book. Just wondering if I have to connect the phone via Bluetooth, copy ALL of the contacts over that way and then revert back to Remote SIM mode?

Anyone any experience of any Android device working in Remote SIM mode?

Cheers
Bad form to reply to oneself maybe... but this is strange... I just went out in the car and it worked., all contacts were available via the Audi Telephone module.. seems to be a bit intermittent.
Searching Android forums there's a protocol called "PBAP" Phone Book Access Protocol, which is what's needed and apparently Audi has this.

Sometimes it can take a while to sync your contacts, especially if you have a lot of them. Also, the MMI is not only downloading the contacts from your mobile, but also your call history logs. If these are not cleared, again this will add to the download time.

This developer does a couple of awesome Android apps that really smooth out syncing contacts PBAP and also helps RSAP work a bit better if it's not sync'ing up properly: http://www.android-rsap.com/

I'm still running a Cyanogenmodded Samsung S4 (just haven't found a reason to upgrade)... technically it should do RSAP without those apps, but I've always found it works better with those...

Thanks for the replies and sorry for delay... been on holiday - first chance to properly test the new A6 and loved it and wife didn't complain about the 20" wheel ride on rough Welsh roads... so all good!

I think I have too many contacts, so it needs a clear out and I will heed @DaveW 's advice and be more patient... will check out those apps though @BahnStormer77 - thanks again for the feedback gents.

How many contacts have you got?! I've not checked them all, but yet to find one missing and there has been anything up to 1100 in my phone.

I "only' had a few hundred. Just not sure why sometimes it works and connects to them all and then sometimes it doesn't. Have had a complete MMI freeze too in the middle of a call. Had to pull over and perform a complete reset, once I'd remembered the reboot button combination.

I've had a couple of instances where the bluetooth connection fails randomly and I have to do the same reboot key combination.
Like I said earlier, it's not just the number of contacts, it's the call history logs that get loaded. Best keep these cleared down.

I've had it refuse to use the Carphone a few times, but it has been really well behaved since the Lolipop update (running CyanogenMod 12.1, August nightly build 20150804 right now - a third party version of Lollipop 5.1.1) + the RSAP Android Bluetooth drivers + RSAP Android app + RSAP PhoneBook app from the same dev.

<UPDATE> @DaveW I did actually have many more calls in the log than I was expecting... but sadly that's not made any impact. It seems to be pure luck as to whether the contacts will be available or not. Very strange. I had the problem on the way back on a 110 mile journey on Wednesday and no matter if I disconnected the phone from Bluetooth and then reconnected.. the contacts didn't come down. I had emptied the call log before setting off.
I _did_ have the second occurrence of a complete MMI crash though, where during a call (incoming - as I couldn't make outgoing unless I knew the number!) a funny high pitched sound came on and then the other person couldn't hear me. Ending the call left the sound coming through and the Media/Radio didn't work. Had to reboot the MMI then all worked again - note reboot, not power cycle. Bizarre.

This is _still_ causing me problems and I'll call the dealer tomorrow - gonna be tricky as they will probably say it's a phone issue. So to recap:
2 month old Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone. Bluetooth connection set up and using in Remote SIM mode.. which in itself is a bit odd, so you're effectively using the car phone module to make/receive calls, but the SIM in your phone to subscribe to the network... anyway... I still get completely random results and it's luck of the draw as to whether I will be able to see my contacts (around 230) or not each time... I've clear down the call logs ("All" call logs) as per advice above, but it's still odd.
I'm intrigued does _anyone else_ on this forum use the A6 in Remote SIM (rSIM) mode and successfully make it work... consistently?

I've noticed recently that the contacts don't load sometimes from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using remote SIM access. I either have to reboot the MMI or disconnect then reconnect the bluetooth connection to get them loaded. I wonder if this is a Samsung/Android issue?

I've noticed recently that the contacts don't load sometimes from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using remote SIM access. I either have to reboot the MMI or disconnect then reconnect the bluetooth connection to get them loaded. I wonder if this is a Samsung/Android issue?
Phew someone else experiencing the same issue! The annoying thing @DaveW is that it's inconsistent... sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Because of the nature of rSIM I can't use the phone to make calls when connected in this manner... so if I want to call, say, Fred Smith, I can (stop the car and safely do this!) search for Fred in the phone contacts list. but the phone won't dial out as the SIM is been "used" by the car... very frustrating. I will speak to my Audi dealer

if it is a major issue and telephone is the priority, then you can always force ti to use Handsfree, not Carphone - I sometimes do this if I know I'm going to be in and out the car and I want to be able to carry on a prolonged conversation without redialing.

You will lose all the online traffic data, Google Earth, Audi internet radio, etc.

Reactions: PeteBSK