Can't open bonnet?

Mikemc

Scooby Slayer
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Ok the bonnet opened then I closed it and forgot to top up my washer fluid, went to pop it but nothing? Is there any other way to open the bonnet?

Anybody? Really need it doing ASAP as its going in the garage to have turbo looked at so don't want them charging me :(

Quite a well known problem with both Golfs and A3's. Try wiggling the release while someone else tries to pop the bonnet.

Once you do get it open, I strongly suggest lubricating the mechanism. In fact I strongly recommend ALL A3 owners lubricate the mechanism once a year to prevent this from happening.

Yeh try the 2 person way first - someone pull handle and someone bounce the bonnet a bit.

If not, take the handle off for it inside the car, get to the cable, and pull with a pair of pliers as the wire may have stretched.

Okay I gave the two man method a try when it first happened guess ill have to get the old pliers out

Going to try the pliers on it in the morning, what should I do if this still doesn't work?

Easiest way/least damage will require you to get access from underneath.

If you Google you will find this is a very common problem for A3's and Golfs.

Had the opposite issue with a Mk5 Jetta the day a buyer had flown from Ireland to test drive the car. After doing the walk round, checking the normal things we took the car for a test drive and popped the bonnet open at local Superstore to check for oil leaks BUT the damn bonnet would close!

Had to phone my local Skoda garage and pick up a replacement catch mechanism setting me back £80 including fitting as i didm;t have any tools with me.