CANT GET INTO BOOT PLEASE HELP!!

sornio

Reaction score
OK THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON ONE OF THESE FORUMS. I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 2001 A4 1.9TDI 130BHP AND HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS, BUT THIS IS THE PROBLEM THAT IM HAVING TROUBLE WITH AT THE MINUTE.

SO WHEN THE COLD WEATHER WAS HERE I TRIED TO OPEN MT BOOT AND IT WAS FROZE. SO I THINK I YANKED IT TOO HARD AND SUMTHING BROKE. WAS ON OTHER THREADS AND FOUND IT TO BE THE ACTUATOR WAS STUCK IN THE OPEN POSITION WHICH MENT THE BOOT LID WAS ALWAYS OPEN.

SO TRIED TO FIX IT MYSELF AND TOOK THE ACTUATOR OFF AND FREE'D IT UP BUT STUPIDLY CLOSED THE BOOT LID AND NOW ITS LOCKED ***.

THERE IS NO POWER GOING TO THE LOCKING MECHANISM AND OBVIOUSLY THE REAR SEATS DONT FOLD DOWN TO ACCESS FROM INSIDE.

I HAVE READ SOME THREADS THAT THE ONLY WAY IN IS TO TAKE BACK SEATS OUT AND CUT A HOLE IN THE METAL BEHIND THE BACK SEATS, BUT I DONT REALLY WANA DO THIS CUZ THE BOOT TRIM IS INSIDE AND WOOD BE A NIGHTMARE TO GET TO THE LOCKING MECHANISM.

THE OTHER WAY SOMEONE SAID WAS TO DRILL A HOLE SOMEWHERE BEHIND THE NUMBER PLATE TO SOMEHOW UNLOCK IT THERE, BUT WHO WANTS TO DRILL A HOLE IN YOUR CAR:(

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME AN EASIER, LESS VIOLENT WAY OF GETTING MY BOOT OPEN.

CAN I ACCESS BOOT IF I TAKE THE "PARCEL SHELF OR SUB OUT OR SUMTHING?

IS THE KEY LOCK SUPPOSED TO MANUALLY OPEN IT BECAUSE MINE DOESNT.

PLEASEEEEEEE HELP, ITS GONA GIVE ME A SLEEPLESS NYT:(
THANKS

You should be able to open it manually with the key

Manual says that left/anticlockwise should spring it open, "vertical" links it to the rest of the car's central locking and to the right (clockwise) should set it to independant, so it only works off the remote "boot release" button.
Try some wd40 in the lock

thanks for reply, i did try the key in the lock and turned it both ways. it turns as freely to the left as it does to the right and also if u turn it to the left or right you cant take the key out.

im wondering have i done something whilst taking the actuator out that has disengaged the manual key opening.

i suppose if the worst comes to the worst would it be better to drill the lock or to rip the alluminium number plate light holder off:sorry:

I'll check mine in the morning and see if it opens with the lock. It must be possible to open as your screwed if the battery ever dies and you have jump leads in the boot!

Speaking from experience here, cut the hole, best way todo it.

drilling will take some serious skill and precise drilling to find the latch mech, i climbed in with a torch and a few screw drivers and took the boot trim off neatly with zero damage, only damage was behind the seat.

Upside: i can now put fence posts in my car :D lol

I've been considering buying a universal "Popper" from ebay and wiring up a backup button inside the car, cutting a huge hole in my seats is not something i want todo to my existing A4!

agggghhhhh thats not wot i wanted to hear lol, i wood consider cutting the hole, maybe make a good job of it and hinge it or sumthing (so as i can fit my ski's in lol) but as i said theres junk in the trunk along with the boot trim that i took off, so it might need to be a ****** manhole to see wot im doin, i just dont like the thot of cutting things, id rather break something and replace it.

can some one check inside their boot to see if i can access boot from the parcel shelf or is there metal there too?

Nope, it'd need a 4ft long arm to reach, remove the rear seat, theres pleanty of "Spare" metal here, remove it neatly and leave it as a hole, simple.

I've done a similar thing and now can't get into the boot. How did you get on with yours and did you cut a hole behind the rear seats?

Hi mate, well what the the other guy said is right that if u have a spare key then the key should open it manually. I realised once i got the boot open my mechanism wasnt attached properly so would never have opened with spare key. So what i had to do was to take the number plate off and cut a hole big enuf to fit your hand in and simply disengage the lock. My dad does a bita welding so he just tacked the cut out back on. And put number plate back on. Make sure ur cut hole is smaller enuf for the number plate to cover it.
Hope this helps. Anymore questions please get back to me