can't decide rs3 8p or s3 8v

lenny151

Reaction score
as the title says can't decide which to get, i currently have a s3 8p sportback running around 310bhp
have always wanted the rs3 now finally close to getting one but need some help deciding between the 2,
as i am 18 my insurance is high at the minute on the s3 but got a quote on a rs3 and its half the price which is making me want one more

thanks

I suppose it's down to personal choice m8 you will be driving it.. Can you get a test drive of both? I think the tuning of the rs3 is limited or expensive I can't remember what exactly I read about them, but if it was me I'd go rs3 8p any day over the 8v.

Depends if you want tunability etc..

RS3 8P - With just a map and Exhaust System you can see gains of up to 430hp and 500+ft-lbs!

S3 8V - At the moment there isn't really much you can do to them except the standard stuff.. But I suspect it won't be long until there are some excellent options from APR & Revo for tuning!

8V S3 all day, it's a completely different design chassis wise, more modern technology and looks much better than any 8P A3/S3/RS3.

Reactions: Liam Joyce
Thanks for all your replies, i think that's the best thing to do is to test drive the two of them, as I am not to botherd about tuning a rs3 probably just a map at the most but a friend of mine has the new mk7 golf r which is the same engine as s3 8v which he had mapped stage 1 with like 380bhp but clutch didn't last very long so where do you go from there if you wanted more power out of it would be more expensive to get over 400bhp as the rs3 is just a stage 1 map an your there

I've just went from my 2+ S3 to my RS3,
What can I say, I love it!
I was like you and roadtested a S3 8v but although it was smooth to drive it was no match for my 8p.
It was the styling that put me off though, yeah quad pipes looked great but from the front or the side it passed as a base model.
That then put.me back to RS3, after looking at 4 of them and roadtesting 3 of them I knew I wanted one.
I decided I preffered red and searched to find one with warranty and lowest miles with 1 owner and already had the brake upgrade.
On first drive of the RS3 I wasn't blown away with performance compared to my S3, but the more I drove you realise it is very quick but so refined and smooth it doesn't feel it.
You find yourself looking at the speedo and it was in 3 figures, also garages only run them on 95 Ron fuel! There's a noticeable difference once on 99 Ron.
Lots of people say including myself is it worth all the cash and all I can say is the sound and feel when you turn the key, YES it is.
Hope that helps you in some way mate.

Reactions: lenny151 and S3 AEX
Wish I had the same choice when I was your age and 18....
My choice was a fiat panda lol

Where the hell does an 18year old get the money to buy an audi rs3 hehe
Wish I did better at school that's all I'll say lol

Reactions: Jake 61, Marshy and OrkneyS3
Wish I had the same choice when I was your age and 18....
My choice was a fiat panda lol

Where the hell does an 18year old get the money to buy an audi rs3 hehe
Wish I did better at school that's all I'll say lol

haha i can't say it was all me my parents helped me along the way with my first car which was a a3 ;)

I've just went from my 2+ S3 to my RS3,
What can I say, I love it!
I was like you and roadtested a S3 8v but although it was smooth to drive it was no match for my 8p.
It was the styling that put me off though, yeah quad pipes looked great but from the front or the side it passed as a base model.
That then put.me back to RS3, after looking at 4 of them and roadtesting 3 of them I knew I wanted one.
I decided I preffered red and searched to find one with warranty and lowest miles with 1 owner and already had the brake upgrade.
On first drive of the RS3 I wasn't blown away with performance compared to my S3, but the more I drove you realise it is very quick but so refined and smooth it doesn't feel it.
You find yourself looking at the speedo and it was in 3 figures, also garages only run them on 95 Ron fuel! There's a noticeable difference once on 99 Ron.
Lots of people say including myself is it worth all the cash and all I can say is the sound and feel when you turn the key, YES it is.
Hope that helps you in some way mate.

really enjoyed reading that mate, think i need to do what you did an go for a test drive in the 2 of them
will probably end up getting the rs3 but just so i am 100% sure will need to have the test drive, whats it like on fuel compared to the s3? what kind of miles do you do weekly? what mpg you getting from it? also do you feel the need to get it mapped or put any mods on it or are you happy with it the way it is?

My S3 averaged 26-28mpg for the running I done in the time I had it.
I do anything between 220-300 miles a week.
So far the computer is showing 27 mpg but although I've had a few very quick bursts mainly cruising about 75-80 mph
This may worsen once I get used to it and of course drive it a bit harder.
Most of my running is quick A roads and motorway with hardly any town driving.
I've ordered some Led number plate lamps, but other kids I don't feel the need (yet)
It seems extremely good as it is, although I've only had it a week!

between the two I'd go for the RS3 because of the 5 pot warble but its upto you, as suggested you could look at an S4 which is a bit different

Reactions: lenny151
My S3 averaged 26-28mpg for the running I done in the time I had it.
I do anything between 220-300 miles a week.
So far the computer is showing 27 mpg but although I've had a few very quick bursts mainly cruising about 75-80 mph
This may worsen once I get used to it and of course drive it a bit harder.
Most of my running is quick A roads and motorway with hardly any town driving.
I've ordered some Led number plate lamps, but other kids I don't feel the need (yet)
It seems extremely good as it is, although I've only had it a week!

about the same as what I do a week but most of mine is town driving so won't be a good on fuel but can cope with that knowing I am in a rs3 haha, I said I wouldn't get mine mapped until this coming summer as I got it september just gone ended up mapping it about 2 months later, keep me posted on how you find it :)

between the two I'd go for the RS3 because of the 5 pot warble but its upto you, as suggested you could look at an S4 which is a bit different

exactly what i like about it an plus will the bigger engine will be able to cope with more power if i was to go down that route, before i got the my current s3 was looking at the s4 but i do a lot of street/town driving so would be abit to big if i did alot on motorways would definitely be the one i would choose just love having loads of power in a small car makes it that bit more fun :)