Cant decide between Petrol or Diesel!

WS-Tom

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking at getting an 8P when I sell my Fiesta after Christmas, and can't help but start looking into them and getting bits of info already for it ;)

However, I can't decide whether to get a Petrol or Diesel. It'll be my second car so I can't get anything like an S3! (yet ;)) Tempted to get the diesel as it's obviously got a turbo so I can remap it after half a year or whatever and for the MPG of course, but I don't do a lot of miles and my work is a 10 minute drive from where I live. But want a petrol because I can be a yob and get a cheeky exhaust haha and I think they're more of a younger persons car? But there wouldn't be much point in remapping the petrol because of barely any gains.

So, still stuck between which one to get, would be grateful if some of you could guide me towards one :)Thanks!

I always thought that diesels were not great for short journeys due to the particulate filter not getting up to the right temps and getting blocked relatively quickly.

Turbo petrol TFSI engines are great and respond to remapping very well, so if it were me, I'd go for a 2.0 TFSI, which has better performance than a TDI out of the box and plenty of tuning potential, while still giving you a decent MPG figure.

As much as i'd love to get one, I can't as I'm 18 and the insurance will be eye watering, I was thinking the 1.6 FSI or the 1.9 TDI. I've got some good quotes for both currently too.

Ah, fair enough then. the TDI would probably be the better choice, but I would do a bit of research on the effects on many short journeys on this engine/DPF.

Depends how many miles you do.

If you do go for a petrol, don't go for a 1.6FSI, I had a 2.0FSI and, although great to start with, I soon got bored of the lack of power.

Might be wrong but i don't think the 1.9 has DPF My 2.0L does.

Depends how many miles you do.

If you do go for a petrol, don't go for a 1.6FSI, I had a 2.0FSI and, although great to start with, I soon got bored of the lack of power.
I'll be going from a 1.2 75 bhp remember :p But then again if I got the TDI and got bored of 105bhp I could remap it?

A remapped diesel is no slouch ;)

Reactions: WS-Tom
I'll be going from a 1.2 75 bhp remember :p But then again if I got the TDI and got bored of 105bhp I could remap it?

I went from a 1.2 Clio to a 2.0FSI and it felt really quick to start with but once you drive it daily for 6+ months, the novelty soon wears off. You've got to remember that these cars are heavy, the 1.6 is massively underpowered.

I'd only get a diesel if I was doing a lot of miles. Yes you get more mpg, but they cost more to initally buy, more to service, fuel is more expensive etc etc.

Thanks for all the replies guys, having looked at more I've noticed that the front bumper is different from an 04 model to an 06. I presume that the 8P's where face lifted then?

Given your age I would go for a 1.9 tdi. No dpf issues, engines are bombproof and you can get it mapped up to 130 BHP ish. Which will feel relatively quick. I have had both the 2.0 BKD and the 1.9 and had no issues at all with the 1.9. Whilst not as refined they reward you with no huge bills to pay in my opinion.

04 was twin grill and later models went with the large single grill. Get a facelift model if you can. As a yardstick I just sold my 57 plate 1.9 tdi with 80k on it, fully loaded for 5500.

Ah thanks thats brilliant :)

Given your age I would go for a 1.9 tdi. No dpf issues, engines are bombproof and you can get it mapped up to 130 BHP ish. Which will feel relatively quick. I have had both the 2.0 BKD and the 1.9 and had no issues at all with the 1.9. Whilst not as refined they reward you with no huge bills to pay in my opinion.

04 was twin grill and later models went with the large single grill. Get a facelift model if you can. As a yardstick I just sold my 57 plate 1.9 tdi with 80k on it, fully loaded for 5500.
Yea I'll definitely be getting a facelift model now. I'm looking at 4k to 5k atm, but that is depending on how much I sell my Fiesta for :/

Generalising here but, diesel cheaper to run ... Cheaper insurance, cheaper to tax, more mpg (derv and petrol not huge amount difference in cost)
As has been said diesel easily chipped for power.

I went from my 1999 1.3 fiesta to a 2003 A3 8P 2.0TDi 140 nearly a year ago. Right out the box it was pretty peppy with all that torque! I have put 16k on it in 10 months, so at 46mpg overall average, it has payed for its self near enough! It has also just made 180.0bhp and 312ft/lbs on a stage one map at darkside! So its really cracking to drive! The pre CR PD engines (so 2.0 tdi until 05 I think) do not have a DPF, so the EGR is gonna be your only issue. I had mine mapped out along with a load of other mods.

I went from a 1.2 Corsa to a 1.9 (8L) A3 which was a massive increase in power and torque compared to what i was used to. Then I went to a 170 8P A3 which was a pain in the a*** with the DPF despite doing 32k/year. Then finally went to the S3. Having a petrol is good, but in a heavy car like the A3 it needs to be minimum the 2.0T otherwise it feels massively underpowered.

If I was you I would test the 1.6 back to back with the 1.9tdi and see what suits you best. The diesel can be remapped down the line too when you get used to/bored of the current power. I think the 1.9 and 2.0 (140) offer an excellent overall package without a DPF and the option to remap.

Diesel torque is addictive.

I went from a 1.2 Corsa to a 1.9 (8L) A3 which was a massive increase in power and torque compared to what i was used to. Then I went to a 170 8P A3 which was a pain in the a*** with the DPF despite doing 32k/year. Then finally went to the S3. Having a petrol is good, but in a heavy car like the A3 it needs to be minimum the 2.0T otherwise it feels massively underpowered.

If I was you I would test the 1.6 back to back with the 1.9tdi and see what suits you best. The diesel can be remapped down the line too when you get used to/bored of the current power. I think the 1.9 and 2.0 (140) offer an excellent overall package without a DPF and the option to remap.
Yea I think you've got the right idea testing them both, is the next petrol up from the 1.6 the 2.0 or is there a 1.8? I'll do some quotes on them today.

Diesel torque is addictive.
Drove my mums car yesterday (Golf Mk6 2.0 GT Diesel) and you're definitely right about torque being addictive! The diesel side are winning me over I think now :cool:

I ha d only bought petrol fueled cars and I thought my son would e the same.
However a couple of weeks ago, he bought an A4 with a 3.0 l V6 twin turbo diesel. I have to say the acceleration is excellent due to the massive amount torque of torque. Bhp is not that high at 240 but it certainly pushes you back in your seat. The auto box seems to reduce the effect of the smaller useful Rev band

Don't think the 2.0l 140 BKD has a dpf; my 2005 doesn't.

Exactly, the 2.0 BKD 140 doesn't have a DPF.

As for OP, I'd go with the 1.9TDI (drove 1.6FSI, it was quite sluggish). 2.0TDI is far more pokey, but it is a lot more expensive to run (38-40mpg is what I get out of it) and maintain.

There is some cracking bolt on manifolds/turbos for them 1.9 tdi's

Granted tdi's are a little more expensive to buy and service as mentioned above, but buying a N/A A3 is not a wise move due to the fact they are big heavy motors.

Even with a re-map on a 1.9 you will notice the difference, but there is more potential for upgrades with the TDi compared to the FSi (Fecking Sheet idea)

Jonny

Yea I think you've got the right idea testing them both, is the next petrol up from the 1.6 the 2.0 or is there a 1.8? I'll do some quotes on them today.

Drove my mums car yesterday (Golf Mk6 2.0 GT Diesel) and you're definitely right about torque being addictive! The diesel side are winning me over I think now :cool:
Comparing a 2.0 common rail diesel to an old 1.9 tdi PD is like a jaguar to a tractor. The new diesels are very refined. The 1.9 105 had a more linear power delivery and the torque doesn't come in a lump like the 2.0 pd engine. Don't forget that the golf weighs around 200kg less than the a3 so it will not feel as peppy. Load the golf up with 3 passengers and this will be a better comparison to a 2.0 tdi Audi. Trust me I have owned all the vehicles you are mentioning.

You need to test drive as you are not comparing apples for apples really. However whilst a 1.9 tdi lump lacks refinement you are rewarded with bullet proof mechanicals and 50mpg +

I don't know why Audi didn't do the 1.9 130 BHP and 150 BHP engines in the 8p like they did with the mk4 golfs. They were a peach of an engine and were quick cars.

I don't believe Audi do a 1.8 in an 8p until the later years and it was the 1.8tfsi (160 BHP) which I also have. Quite a nice engine as well and fairly quick and nimble when compared to a 2.0 tdi

How many miles a month do you do? I got the 2 litre turbo petrol A3 as I only do about 100-150 miles a week. Most of the time I do short journeys and I probably average about 30mpg.

The 1.8T wasn't brought in until considerably later so it would be the 1.6 or 2.0 in the petrol.

Yeah diesel torque is addictive but at the same time so is petrol power/noise so it really is swings and roundabouts.

As I said just give them a test drive and you'll soon know which one you want :)

It should be an easy question, short distances go for petrol also should be cheaper to buy. Longer distance go for diesel as the mpg is a lot better. Just changed (due to job now being 60 instead of 10 minutes away) from 2tfsi to 2tdi change in mpg is 30 to 55 but the 2tfsi was so much more fun.