Cancelling an order

Chris4410

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone advise what the situation is with cancelling and order, what legally are you responsible for?

Basically am I in a situation were I have to take the car or is there a way out.

How far along are you, ie when's the car due for delivery? Normally it's just the deposit and even then you can usually get that back. Others may know better.

Only placed the order just over a week ago, not been given a delivery date yet.

Only placed the order just over a week ago, not been given a delivery date yet.
From reading similar posts I would say that if you haven't signed for the car(verbal only) you should be ok cancelling the order..Have you put down a deposit? If so they might try and bill you for things like admin. etc.

Best to ring and speak with your sales guy then get a confirmation in email, if they're harsh to you and refuse don't lose confidence.

Simply put; at this stage you're not obliged on anything, people's circumstances do change.

There's no use detailing what to say if they do start on you, as it's likely they'll shrug it off or try and keep your deposit at worst.

If they do try and keep your deposit, come back and let us know. Heck, whatever the result, come back and let us know!

Reactions: Ghost
If your relationship with the dealer is good, they will give you back your deposit.
If it isn't they might not.

@Chris4410 - I wouldn't worry to much about it TBH

Last year, I cancelled 2 factory order S3 saloons
The first had been built to my spec and was in the Dealers compound waiting delivery when I cancelled. I got a full, no questions asked, refund on my deposit
The second one was again a factory order. I cancelled this one, after around 8 weeks and transferred the deposit over to a new S4 from the same Dealers. Again no probs & these were different Dealers

As has already been said, contact your Dealer that you made the order with & have a chat. I'm sure everything will be fine

Reactions: Ghost
I went through the same problem, although my dealer was fine about it and have me the full deposit back without too much wrangling.......

One thing I checked out at the time was the fact that I did it over the phone vs being In the dealership and signing the contract. If you are off site for the purchase I believe you have a 14 day cooling off period.

Anyway, best case - get your deposit back no problems. Mid case, they keep your deposit indefinite and you use it against another car in the future..... Worst case, deposit is a goner, but judging by the help and advice I got here, it's unlikely..... Just be nice!

Reactions: pburv
You should get the full deposit back. Apart from anything else it would be bad press for a dealer.
I think they can only keep an amount that they are out of pocket. Which is difficult to assess and they will just sell the car on.

Best go and visit the dealer speak person to person, you can always dangle the carrot of an order in the future/????

Called the dealer this morning and I have decided to keep the order.

Reactions: Gazjs and pburv