Can you switch off engine but keep eletrics on?

MOA4B9

Reaction score
Does anyone one know if it's possible to turn engine off but keep the cigarette lighter on? It annoys my kids when they are watching a movie on dvd player and I turn the engine off the player stops working. I can press the start button again but it takes a minute or two for the film to start up. Anyone has a solution for this problem?

Yes, press the starter button once for the electrics and long press with foot on the pedal to start the car.

When using electrics only, it lasts around 5 > 10 minutes so as not to run the battery down.

I mean when turning the engine off not when starting. When you press the start/stop button to turn the engine off, it also cuts power to the cigarette lighter sockets. I want to know if there is a way to swith engine off but keep the power on.

This used to bug me as well, kids nice and quiet watching their postman pat DVD then you stop and it all goes off. Some DVD's go through all the trailers then you have to press play when it gets to the actual movie...

The solution for me, in the end, was a couple of iPads :grumpy:

1. Car turned off
2. Ignition on
3. Engine on

I believe you’re asking if is it possible to have the 12v socket live whilst the car is turned off, then no not from factory. I’m sure of older cars it could be changed with vag com but I’m not sure if it can with the B9.

The 12v socket works for 10 minutes or so with the ignition on.

The 12v socket works indefinitely with the engine on.

Just put it in Park (or neutral with the parking brake on) and let the engine automatically shut itself off via the automatic start/stop system.

That won't work. Yes, the engine will idle foe a while before cutting out and leaving the electrics live. But as soon the system detects a constant and sustained draw on the electrics (charging ports, air con, radio, etc), the engine will kick back in again to charge the battery that has a drain on it.

What I suggested originally and what can be done in reverse when switching the engine off and leaving the car in the 'ignition on' position is the only way it will work on this or any stock vehicle from any manufacturer. It's simply the car protecting the battery

That won't work. Yes, the engine will idle foe a while before cutting out and leaving the electrics live. But as soon the system detects a constant and sustained draw on the electrics (charging ports, air con, radio, etc), the engine will kick back in again to charge the battery that has a drain on it.

What I suggested originally and what can be done in reverse when switching the engine off and leaving the car in the 'ignition on' position is the only way it will work on this or any stock vehicle from any manufacturer. It's simply the car protecting the battery

If you read his post he doesnt want the DVD interrupted by having to switch the engine off and then switching the ignition back on.

My solution avoids this and protects the battery.

EvilDerv's suggestion works to a point - but if I recall as soon as the driver opens their door (say to get out and put petrol in) all the electrics turn off. Which is the scenario that caused uproar in my family when out on longer trips.

First world problems!
My kids have grown up and it's a bit old fashioned, but I did find that actually talking to them before arriving at destination/home/shop/petrol station seemed to work. They occasionally looked out of the glass and worked out where they were, one child more than the other. Unsurprisingly he's the one who now knows where to go without fixing his satnav position just to get to work.:racer:

Just sayin'. Hard hat on awaiting incoming flack:shrug:

Reactions: Alistair D, ub7rm and HMG1K
Indeed, we only broke out the technology on longer journeys. 'I spy' and count the red cars doesn't keep them amused for very long.

In my day I thought myself lucky if the radio was working ::):

Interesting problem with what seems like an expensive solution or unruly children.

May I suggest a roof box? Place children in roof box for the trip. You'll benefit in many ways:

1) You'll have more space in the car for luggage
2) You won't hear them moan if the DVD resets
&
3) The roof box will keep them warm and dry

OR

Grab a battery powered device and use that.

PS - please don't actually use the roof box idea...:blink:

Some good suggestions here :) but how about getting into the fuse box and rerouting the cigar lighter feed onto a permanent live? If that's not an option (other stuff might be on the same circuit) the only way I could think to solve the issue would be running a new wire either to the cigar lighter or to an after market socket.
You'd take the risk of draining the battery though.

So extreme solutions proposed, I'm surprised no one mentioned to just get rid of the kids.

Reactions: DyslexicDog
Just put it in Park (or neutral with the parking brake on) and let the engine automatically shut itself off via the automatic start/stop system.

I tested it yesterday and it actually works even with power being drawn from the 12v socket. However there are 2 issues with it.
1. I don't really want to leave the car with engine running and esp kids left inside as someone can just drive off

2. You can't turn the engine back on unless you switch off ignition and then back on so you just back to square one when you have to cut power to the screens. And this is worse than the initial problem as I don't want them moaning when I'm back in the car. Better to leave my wife to deal with it when I have left th3 car.

Last edited:
Are you sure that the relevant fuse feeding the 12v socket doesn't have a jumper position i.e. 3 blade holes. Pick top and middle hole for ignition switched, middle and bottom hole for permanent live?

I've had this on most of my 11 VAG cars, and definitely the most recent ones.