Can you put any other capacity engine into a A4 V6 tdi?

PhysicsFool

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to Audis but looking to replace a 2.5 V6 diesel Tdi with either the same or a different capacity engine. such as an AFN or AEB. or any other audi engine. is this even possible?

Thanks

Last edited:
What are you trying to achieve ? The AFN will bolt on to your manual gearbox but you will have to modify the downpipe and replace the engine wiring loom + ECU and re-calibrate the dash to work with the 4 cyl. engine. You better off buying a complete donor as many things are different between the 2 cars...
For the petrol engine you will have to replace much more just to get it going...including the fuel tank and all pipes !

It was a bit of a stab in the dark as a smaller engine would help with my insurance. But it looks like i will stick with the 2.5. Just a case of finding one now. Thanks for the heads up

Yeah i'd stick with a 2.5, insurance wouldn't change at all for putting a 1.9 in, it coud even put it up - modification?

There's a range of 2.5s but I dont know if you would have to change all sorts to have the 180bhp one rather than the 150bhp one, or vice versa...

any engine can be fitted to anything with cash and time
but id just replace with the same engine code

Yeah i'd stick with a 2.5, insurance wouldn't change at all for putting a 1.9 in, it coud even put it up - modification?

There's a range of 2.5s but I dont know if you would have to change all sorts to have the 180bhp one rather than the 150bhp one, or vice versa...
The base 2.5 tdi engine is identical between the 150 and 180 Bhp. I had b5 a4 fitted with AKE or BAU (late cam roller engine) engines but i had to keep the AFB injector pump and ECU.