Can someone with no body experience remove bumper?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey
I am debating whether to send my car to my mate which will probably charge me 50.00/75.00 to remove my bumper and fit the honeycomb grill or do you think its easy enough for someone to do by themselves that have never done it before?
With the 50ish I can buy a decent jack and I get the experience, but again its only 50.00/75.00 to get someone to do it for me.
Whats your thoughts?

You can do it yourself fairly easily. Take your time with it. I would put the car on axle stands. I think there is a guide on here somewhere

It's easy to remove once you've located all the screws.
The scary bit is tugging it away from the wing on either side as it clips in, but you can be fairly robust.
Also best to put something down on the floor in case it falls when you pull it loose.

Thanks both.
Can I just use a jack to lift up the front end or do I need stands?
If I need to buy stands as well I might as well ask my mate to do it, as it will start costing a lot more than 50 or 75.

Thanks again

Check this video. No jack and no taking wheels off. The guy just turns the wheels to get access to the bolts (removal begins at 6:30).

Ah thanks for that, saves me money.
Will go through English videos on how to remove the bolts and install.
Thanks again.

Yeh full lock one way for one side full lock other way for next
Do the hard ones in arches first that what I did because if you can't get them no point doing any others I cable tied the arch liner back to my alloy made it easy to access myself

That's video I used as a tutorial you don't even need to remove the undertray

Why does no-one actually show themselves pulling the bumper out of the wing clips? It's the hardest bit of the job and you can break the clip loops on the bumper - does anyone have any video showing the "knack" of removing them cleanly?

Why does no-one actually show themselves pulling the bumper out of the wing clips? It's the hardest bit of the job and you can break the clip loops on the bumper - does anyone have any video showing the "knack" of removing them cleanly?

Mine unclicked easy enough just pulled the bumper from the arch to unclick each side but my bumper had been off before to get an intercooler fitted so they may have made job easier for me

Straightforward enough.

Hardest part is one of the screws on each bumper to wing fixing, quite difficult to access, but once you get the knack it’s not so bad.
b1a9ebf3015aa92e79f7b1af3bb61870.jpg

dcd784385f6e67350b81ad69f19abdcb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reason I asked is when I had the bumper off my S1 (it's virtually the same fixing setup) it would not budge whatsoever, no give, nothing. Broke a clip as it finally let go. It repaired ok but still puts me off taking it off again but given what I'll be doing to it, it's inevitable, so just wondered. Sounds like it shouldn't have been that tight?

So you just pull each corner ends lightly and they should come out of the clips?
Or do you have to pull down a bit to get the clips to come off?

I dont want to be breaking any clips, more work for someone who has never done this before lol

The hardest part is trying to reach the 3 torx25 screws on both sides above the struts. the rest are easy.it took me 3-4 hours start to finish.Also depending on what replacement grill you have the large foam section in front of the grill at the bottom may not fit .My one had to go on without it but luckily the airbag sensor did not raise an alarm on the dash as I clipped it onto the bottom of the grille.This was done on a previous A3 8v not the one in the photo

I had to go to my mates garage today as I have a small fuel leak and he said he would do it all including spray painting the crossmember black for 60.00
Saves me hours of work and potential damage. He has a ramp and takes bumpers off all day every day.

in general no, you would need a body and be experienced in using it. poltergeists can't grab anything

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

It is easy once u know how to do it.. just remove bottom tray screws (many hah ) remove 3 top screws, remove screw behind fender and ALWAYS pry passengers side of bumper first

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_193736.jpg
    IMG_20200523_193736.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
yeah pretty straight forward once you know where all the bolts etc are. Just beware that if your car has the ACC radar fitted and it needs disconnecting, do not turn ignition on with it unplugged or you may need to pay to have it recalibrated and that can be anywhere from 350 to 500 at the dealer. At work some seem fine when reconnected but some seem to need resetting . Makes it awkward quoting for a bumper respray when you have to inform the customer of a possible charge of more that the paintwork for the recalibration. Luckily most manufacturers are starting to mount them either in the front screen or on the actual front panel of the car to enable straight forward bumper removal