Can someone please recommend a mechanic who knows what they are doing in London.

rajazed

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Back again. My s3 8l had been stationary for 10 days or so. So i decided to take her out yesterday. A couple of hours into my day i had a gave her a good thrash on a dual carriageway but for no longer than a mile. When i got to the lights i seen smoke coming from my engine bay.

Pulled over and all i can see is smoke in the are underneath the air filter slightly to the left.

Can someone recommend what i should do please. Or a good mechanic would help. Preferably one who can help with my Four wheel drive issues too.

Thanks in advance.

Well firstly, have you had a look to see if there is any damage there, has anything burnt or could it be steam, was there any strange smells and also have you had any engine lights come on at all?

A few basic checks will get you on your way.

What did you do after you pulled over, im presuming you carried on driving, if so, how was the car running, normal or worse than before?

Well firstly, have you had a look to see if there is any damage there, has anything burnt or could it be steam, was there any strange smells and also have you had any engine lights come on at all?

A few basic checks will get you on your way.

What did you do after you pulled over, im presuming you carried on driving, if so, how was the car running, normal or worse than before?

The car drives just how it did before.

It smells like burning oil. Which leads me to believe oils is leaking and burning on some part of the engine that is hot.

It would come up from around the air filter area. No lights on at all.

check your pcv (breather) hoses , they culminate down in that direction , could be split and spitting oil on something hot , producing smoke :)

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately i have no idea what that is :)

Since getting this S3 i have done most of the work myself which was all cosmetic.
Mechanical i have no idea.

All the guys around my way i don't trust to be honest.

There's a forum sponsor in the South of London dude... 10% off labour price as well as because you're an ASN member :icon_thumright:

Volks Autos

The PCV, is basically all the piping under the bonnet, if you can manage to get the engine cover off, just have a quick visual check and see if there is any signs of leakage anywhere or any hissing noises at all as this will indicate split pipes.

I would guess that one of the pipes has split, hence the leak, smell and smoke too.

If that is the case, I wouldnt necessarily go out and replace with OE piping, have a look at silicon replacements, as they will last longer and will be ALOT cheaper too.

^^^^^ what he said , but cheaper and longer lasting is nitrile hoses which any good hydraulic place can supply by the meter :)
Start off at the oil filter looking for the plastic 90 degree elbow and attached rubber pipe work and trace it all the way to the round "puck" that goes into the rubber trunking coming out of your air filter ;)

Thanks a lot guys.

Will have a good look when I'm at home today.

Also Farda d have pmd you.

Will keep you guys updated.

The PCV, is basically all the piping under the bonnet, if you can manage to get the engine cover off, just have a quick visual check and see if there is any signs of leakage anywhere or any hissing noises at all as this will indicate split pipes.

I would guess that one of the pipes has split, hence the leak, smell and smoke too.

If that is the case, I wouldnt necessarily go out and replace with OE piping, have a look at silicon replacements, as they will last longer and will be ALOT cheaper too.

Hi Nilz

I am thinking i should just change all my pipes in the engine bay that are a risk of splitting and so forth at some stage.

Turbo hose
Turbo intake
Induction hose
Boost hose
Cam cover breather too.

Does that leave me with any others i may need or should do? ?

Thanks in advance.

^^^^^ what he said , but cheaper and longer lasting is nitrile hoses which any good hydraulic place can supply by the meter :)
Start off at the oil filter looking for the plastic 90 degree elbow and attached rubber pipe work and trace it all the way to the round "puck" that goes into the rubber trunking coming out of your air filter ;)

I am thinking i should just change all my pipes in the engine bay that are a risk of splitting and so forth at some stage.

Turbo hose
Turbo intake
Induction hose
Boost hose
Cam cover breather too.

Does that leave me with any others i may need or should do? ?

Thanks in advance.