Can someone define to me Stage 1,2 and 3 maps please..

warleydaddy

Reaction score
As it says really.. Whats gained/needed on all 3 formats..

Pete...

stage 1 - 2 - 3 are just terms given to different types of map really by tunners,
But basically:

Stage 1 - a generic map that is written to be applied to a 100% standard car, typically these will take your 150bhp A3 to 200bhp/220lbft , or your 210/225 S3 up to around 245-250bhp/ 260lbft

A stage 2 map is a custom(ish) map, whereby ususally a base map is written to suit a certain group of mods, normally things like a turbo back exhaust, induction kit, and a front mount intercooler, things like custom code stage 2 for the AGU is just a generic map still, but written to suit the AGU with bolt on mods. Some tuners will use a pre written base map for a stage 2, then alter it slightly to suit the specific car

this will typically take your A3 to around 230bhp/250lbft, or an S3 to maybe 260-265bhp/280-300lbft

Stage 3 is a totally custom map, written to suit big turbo aplications/hybrids with larger injectors, possibly a change in maf housing (and therefore scaling), and pretty much anything else that's unusual and not usually done. Power output from this is entirely depending on the spec of the engine/turbo, although of course, you wouldn't be doing it unless you were going for more than stage 2 power....

What would be the advice before going with a stage 1 map ? I'm thinking your 100% standard setup would have to be working as close to 100% as possible, but are there any recommended mods to do before going to a stage 1 ?

Mike..

Forge 007p which i can supply for £73 delivered.

And panel filter..

Last edited:
What would be the advice before going with a stage 1 map ? I'm thinking your 100% standard setup would have to be working as close to 100% as possible, but are there any recommended mods to do before going to a stage 1 ?

You would want the car running 100% before having any flash. Be prepared to come across issues after flashing, it doesn't happen all the time but I have had coilpacks and sparkplugs cause problems after flashing.

If you have a APY in the S3 the coils seem to be ok, the BAM coilpacks give up a lot more frequently. I can't remember the code for the other S3 motor or what coilpacks it has.

I run a paper filter in my S3 and a Forge DV, I personally would always replace the std DV, others will stick with standard ones and save their money and maybe change them again.... Horses for courses.

I'd also make sure all your boost hoses are done up tight, sods law dictates you'll blow one off at the least opportune moment. Again, one I had last week with an S3 customer. He was thinking coilpacks but got away with a free fix. :rockwoot:

Gavin

TOP MAN!!!!!

Cheers for that Prawn.... Im on Stage 1 now,and seing 260BHP,but just fitted my 3inch DP yesterday,and about to order a AH cooler,so just seing whats in a stage 2..

Pete...

If you have a APY in the S3 the coils seem to be ok, the BAM coilpacks give up a lot more frequently. I can't remember the code for the other S3 motor or what coilpacks it has.

AMK - what does that have?

AMK - what does that have?

dodgy coils too!! I've had to replace certain coilpacks twice. I've now completely changed all four and keep the spares in my boot if one should go again.

Last edited by a moderator:
TOP MAN!!!!!

Cheers for that Prawn.... Im on Stage 1 now,and seing 260BHP,but just fitted my 3inch DP yesterday,and about to order a AH cooler,so just seing whats in a stage 2..

Pete...

BAM S3, Revo?

Sounds like good advice. Just off the back of loads of problems with mine (2003 BAM) but thankfully its running sweet as a nut now. S3BAM, can I take you up on your offer in a couple of weeks? I'm off on holiday, driving this beast to Hungary and back, so I need to save some beer tokens. I already replaced most of my vac/boost lines with silicone, brand new TIP and a few other things. I'm thinking of Stage 1 some time before the end of June. I'll have to read the other threads about best places to go ....

BAM S3, Revo?

No, on a completley standard APY.. And that 260 was from vagcom... Also had it on my liquid gauge too.. But have DP,FMIC,007,TIP,full sicone now, so il pot about on a stage 2 for abit,then come winter,debate either sell it after ive resprayed it,or hybrid it..

Pete..

Stage one map exposed a coil pack failure for me and a clutch replacement! Goes great now though!