Can re-mapped car get quicker

Ollie2014

Reaction score
This may seem a odd question but I had my car re-mapped in January by one of the site sponsors but recently it seems quicker,more powerful.Can the re-map bed in after a while like an engine would do ?
I have run the car on Shell V power so no change there and have had no extra modifications since.This is not a complaint just a question.

Obviously a daft question lol.

You posted your original question 63 minutes before your reply, remember people don't live on here, they are real people and have lives and family, moreso its the weekend.

After a car is mapped, it takes some time for the ECU to re-calibrate, however this is usually done pretty quickly and over a couple of hundred miles before full potential. Months, no. Hours, yes.

Have you driven a slower car recently? Had it serviced?

Reactions: voorhees
I suppose if you have remapped before the engine had fully loosened up it might make sense to reset the ecu once the miles had clocked up ...

Diesel engines take a lot longer to run in and can keep improving in performance all the way up to about 50k. miles. The new map is good from day1 it doesn't adjust after that. Other than that cool damp days make them a little more powerful.

Right then ,thanks Rick as it was you who mapped it you should know.Thanks Soot1 for your reply it may be the cool air or I've been putting my foot down harder.

If you ever find out? let us know as it will be the best and cheapest mod ever.
Sorry couldn't help myself. :whistle2:

Last edited:
after remap if you drive it like you steal it it will give most of it
I can see the difference between my car and friends car
My car was slower before a lot his one have same modifications
after all upgrades and remap my car is more aggressive than his only difference is i'm driving my car all the time full throttle and he is looking at the mpg and driving it economically

as I have been told after remap all adaptation maps in ecu are blank and needs 500km until they are fully written and adopted to your style of driving

Yes it can , but only by adding decent hardware like a free flowing straight through exhaust , bigger intercooler , water meth etc .

Individually these are worth gains and add up collectively .

Reactions: S3Alex
Yes it can , but only by adding decent hardware like a free flowing straight through exhaust , bigger intercooler , water meth etc .

Individually these are worth gains and add up collectively .
Did you read the first post Gaz?

As someone else stated, the ECU is adaptable, after the remap everything is set at default values. As you drive it more the ECU "learns" and adapts so it can feel better after some time.

As someone else stated, the ECU is adaptable, after the remap everything is set at default values. As you drive it more the ECU "learns" and adapts so it can feel better after some time.
Thank you for your comment because I know the car has has gotten quicker and more responsive.

More than likely, it's just the way you felt that day. you're getting used to it and you'll feel it's quicker but really it's the same. Sorry to poo on your parade lol

More than likely, it's just the way you felt that day. you're getting used to it and you'll feel it's quicker but really it's the same. Sorry to poo on your parade lol
Thanks for the constructive comment.

It may not be as black and white that your car is now suddenly faster which is how some people have taken your post, but I can appreciate what you're saying.

Rick at Unicorn states that the ECU should not need time to adapt to a map and should be running optimum straight away, considering there aren't many, if any who know more about mapping then he does, I'd trust him and his opinion over anyone else's. That being said he does custom mapping, which is done specifically to your car and so I too wouldn't expect the ECU to take time adjusting, whereas a generic map is not specific to your car, therefore I would expect some time for the ECU to adapt, but not a couple months though.

I had a Revo stage 1 remap done and whilst I did notice some improvements on day one, I wasn't hugely impressed. It wasn't until 4 or 5 days later that I felt the map come alive with the increased torque and before anyone tries feeding me some BS, this was no illusion. If you know me then you'd know that I love my cars and give it the absolute beans whenever it's safe for me to do so. I was redlining wherever possible and without doubt there was a definite improvement after a few days.

The ECU would take less than 30 sec to adapt, the timing will be almost instant to compensate for different fueling parameters and air supply, whether your using a 97/98/99 ron fuel and density and air temperature fluctuations. The ECU does not learn it compensates.
Maybe your cat blew a hole in it.

It may not be as black and white that your car is now suddenly faster which is how some people have taken your post, but I can appreciate what you're saying.

Rick at Unicorn states that the ECU should not need time to adapt to a map and should be running optimum straight away, considering there aren't many, if any who know more about mapping then he does, I'd trust him and his opinion over anyone else's. That being said he does custom mapping, which is done specifically to your car and so I too wouldn't expect the ECU to take time adjusting, whereas a generic map is not specific to your car, therefore I would expect some time for the ECU to adapt, but not a couple months though.

I had a Revo stage 1 remap done and whilst I did notice some improvements on day one, I wasn't hugely impressed. It wasn't until 4 or 5 days later that I felt the map come alive with the increased torque and before anyone tries feeding me some BS, this was no illusion. If you know me then you'd know that I love my cars and give it the absolute beans whenever it's safe for me to do so. I was redlining wherever possible and without doubt there was a definite improvement after a few days.
Thanks for taking the time to comment HHS3,this is how the car feels as I wasn't overly impressed originally but recently the torque and smoothness feels great.Now considering I had it done in January and it feels better in the last month or so prompted me to ask the question in my first post.My Mrs says it feels better too(if that means anything to anyone)we have both been driving for 27 years and have had various performance vehicles GTi's Type R's Vr6 if you get my drift.I have had when booting it a bit of black carbon on my rear bumper from the exhaust and now that has cleared so maybe it was coked up a bit and it has cleared itself,I'm trying too hard to get a answer and maybe should not have started this post and just enjoyed the S3.

Prior to the remap I was using regular unleaded as the Audi dealer I purchased the car from said it would run fine on this.When I spoke to Rick he suggested using Shell V power or Tesco momentum so prior to the remap I ran the car down to the fuel warning light and filled up with the higher octane.I have used Shell V power since.

Audismart that could be the answer.Next time I fill up I will check the octane :rocket:

In short, no.

Rick

Would you mind giving us your long answer please bud? I'm interested in hearing all of the facts from someone who actually knows and fully understands what they're on about.

Thanks for taking the time to comment HHS3,this is how the car feels as I wasn't overly impressed originally but recently the torque and smoothness feels great.Now considering I had it done in January and it feels better in the last month or so prompted me to ask the question in my first post.My Mrs says it feels better too(if that means anything to anyone)we have both been driving for 27 years and have had various performance vehicles GTi's Type R's Vr6 if you get my drift.I have had when booting it a bit of black carbon on my rear bumper from the exhaust and now that has cleared so maybe it was coked up a bit and it has cleared itself,I'm trying too hard to get a answer and maybe should not have started this post and just enjoyed the S3.

No worries mate, thought I'd give you a constructive comment seeing as you had received a few unhelpful ones. The only thing which baffles me in your situation is that you had your car remapped in January and it was only in March that you started to notice a real difference, not saying that there isn't one as it's fairly obvious to a driver if there's an improvement in the performance of their own car, but I'm not entirely sure what would've been the cause. As you say, the engine being coked up does sound like a likely plausible explanation though, have you ever had it decoked or engine carbon cleaned?

My mate was following me the other day and said that black sh1t was coming out of the exhaust whenever I booted it, my car is 9 years old now and and has just hit 54K of which it has never had a decoke/engine carbon clean, so I am keen to get one done asap. He's followed me several times before my map and has never mentioned anything coming out of my exhaust before, so it is possible that after the remap where I was driving it harder then I usually do, that it cleared out some of the built up carbon which is why I noticed an obvious improvement a couple of days after the map. Again, for all the critics, I'm not saying it just suddenly transformed into an F1 car but the delivery was smoother and the torque punchier and for me to no longer feel underwhelmed after spending £1100, then something must have changed (and no, not petrol, oil, tyres or any other mods).