Can OBD11 One Click Apps Void Insurance?

Ujw

Reaction score
Hello,
Say I activated active lane assist and that causes a crash (say at a construction zone).
Or even if the crash is not even related to do with the lane assist and might be the other person’s fault, or whatever the situation.
Could the insurance company void my insurance for modifying my car?

Hi,

Firstly, you need to declare any modifications made to your vehicle to your insurer so they can calculate the correct annual premium.

Your insurer may void your policy for non-disclosure, it's as though it never existed (so no cover from the inception date) they will reject any claims in progress and normal cancellation rules and notice will not apply.

In some situations, the insurer may simply request an additional premium for the modifications (this would be calculated back to the inception date) in this scenario the insurer would cover the claim however, in the majority of cases your policy would simply be made void due to non-disclosure.

Hope that helps.

Chris Knott Insurance

Hi,

Firstly, you need to declare any modifications made to your vehicle to your insurer so they can calculate the correct annual premium.

Your insurer may void your policy for non-disclosure, it's as though it never existed (so no cover from the inception date) they will reject any claims in progress and normal cancellation rules and notice will not apply.

In some situations, the insurer may simply request an additional premium for the modifications (this would be calculated back to the inception date) in this scenario the insurer would cover the claim however, in the majority of cases your policy would simply be made void due to non-disclosure.

Hope that helps.

Chris Knott Insurance
Hello, my query was whether this is counted is as a modification, it’s a simple option for the same car, the only thing I will be doing is activating the feature VIA OBD11 on my phone. It does not affect the car’s performance etc in anyway and does it need any part retrofits.
I don’t know if I need to contact my insurance and explain to them what OBD11 is.
Thanks,

Hello, my query was whether this is counted is as a modification, it’s a simple option for the same car, the only thing I will be doing is activating the feature VIA OBD11 on my phone. It does not affect the car’s performance etc in anyway and does it need any part retrofits.
I don’t know if I need to contact my insurance and explain to them what OBD11 is.
Thanks,
Hi,

Always better to mention it. There's nothing worse than getting to claims stage and finding there is a problem.

Simon.

Anything after factory build is technically a modification including cosmetic and enabling additional functionality.

Some insurers now require factory fitted options at time of build to also be declared ie anything above base spec.