Can keeping car on the street be cheaper than in the garage ? - YES it can... wtf !?

Arnie

Reaction score
Website
www.polishbikers.com
I have run extensive research yesterday while looking for new insurance for my audi and I found quite a few interesting facts.

With my postcode keeping car in the garage costs me £200 more than on the street. Even residental car park is more expensive.

Also I live with my girlfriend, not married, but in Admiral you can select "Co-habiting", which in help means we share live and bed together. Its cheapest option, even that if we were married.

Also milage... Thinking regular way less you drive less you should pay. Wrong again. We dont use car much so we would do with 3k miles per year, but in fact when I select 4k its cheaper. Going more than 5k is expensive again so 4k is magic number for me.

I ran about 150 quotes yesterday. My email box is trashed but I found perfect deal. 500 pounds cheaper than any comparison site. Learnt it's good to check every possible option, even having garage keeping it outside will be cheaper to insure.....

Time well spent :)

Haha me and my gf found this out with Elephant/Diamond/Admiral. I always used to say the car was in the garage to bring down costs until recently my gf listed it as on the street and it brought it down about 30quid. Couldnt believe it myself so all insurance policies are now listed as kept on the street lol (which they are majority of the time.

yep same company, in my case it took it down from 1300 to 1100 ;]

I got blocked online in Admiral now for the amount of quotes I did:)

Its down to the underwriter of the company. They select a panel to see the cheapest quote. I work for a broker and some information can decide cheaper quotes. The underwriter may calculate that the area you live in has less of a risk keeping the car outside. sometimes keeping it on the driveway is cheaper than in the garage. Some things dont make sense, so play around with it.. Be carefull though, because sometimes they do check!

No problem witg keeping it outside;) and changed my job title from computer engineer to computer technician. Another 98 pounds saved;)

I try to be legal and answer all questionas way it should be, including my 6 points for speeding...

Spoke today with m8 who leaves next door with z4 and his with admiral aswell. Same story keeping outside cheaper.

It's to do with risk assessment. If you have a brand new RS4 parked on the street, the only way a thief can steal it is with your carkeys, unless they hoist it onto a flatbed. If it's parked outside your house, they know where to look for the carkeys, out on the street, it can belong to anyone!

Well no difference for me.

Infact i just ran a quote and my insurance company are now charging me 45% more than i have just insured my car for! thanks aviva.

Same details, no accidents, f*****g disgusting!

Why didn't I see this on friday, my renewal hasn't gone through yet, is it worth ringing them back or will it be obvious as hell?

It's a fairly simple explanation, but I didn't think about it until I read an article on the subject... it's to do with the fact that cars are so secure now that it can be easier to break into a house instead:

If someone sees your car on your driveway in the day, they know it belongs to your house: so they come back later and take the keys from inside, then go into your garage and have a nice private room to take it from, or to steal your stuff from inside the car.

It's twofold, therefore - they can tell which car belongs to which house more easily, so can target the expensive cars: if your car was one of a row of 30 on your street, they'd have to take pot luck if they get your brand new S3 or your neighbours last-gen astra. Plus they get a nice dark garage to break into the car in: nobody watching to realise that it's not you getting into your car and job done.

I have run extensive research yesterday while looking for new insurance for my audi and I found quite a few interesting facts.

With my postcode keeping car in the garage costs me £200 more than on the street. Even residental car park is more expensive.

Also I live with my girlfriend, not married, but in Admiral you can select "Co-habiting", which in help means we share live and bed together. Its cheapest option, even that if we were married.

Also milage... Thinking regular way less you drive less you should pay. Wrong again. We dont use car much so we would do with 3k miles per year, but in fact when I select 4k its cheaper. Going more than 5k is expensive again so 4k is magic number for me.

I ran about 150 quotes yesterday. My email box is trashed but I found perfect deal. 500 pounds cheaper than any comparison site. Learnt it's good to check every possible option, even having garage keeping it outside will be cheaper to insure.....

Time well spent :)

Thank you Arnie, you have just saved me a further £150 (that I didn't have anyway :lmfao:), you are a hero :haha: :wub:

Why didn't I see this on friday, my renewal hasn't gone through yet, is it worth ringing them back or will it be obvious as hell?

If renewal hasnt gone through yet call them and tell then you changed your mind. I dont guarantee all my tweaks with job description etc will work in every company, It will probably probably require some testing with options in every of them. In my case Admiral was the cheapest and I managed to save even more by doing simple things.

Last change I made just before purchase was adding info that I own and use second car. It dropped premium from 930 to 813. I paid more for my Volvo 1.8 last year....

Arnie's Tip: whatever company you with always check as many options (within legal limits) as possible, as it may affect your premium by few hundreds.

Yea I got there in time and its also worth noting that you have 14 day cooling off period to make changes to the policy!!!!:arco: