Can I update to MIB2 if I have larger screen and USB port already so I can then get Apple Carplay?

BlakeS3

Reaction score
So I've got a Audi S3 8V its got navigation and tech pack so its got the larger higher quality screen, I really want the official apple car play and have read quite a few posts on here that have said its very costly to upgrade to MIB2 due to needing to change the screen, console stuff so you have a USB port. The thing I'm getting confused about is I already have a USB port so surely if I upgraded the software to MIB2 I would then be able to have wired apple car play? Please could anyone who knows a lot more than me about this sort of stuff comment :)

Solution
I had my 2014 PFL upgraded to MIB2 today, so now have CarPlay activated, up today standard nav maps, etc. All working fine, very happy. BUT! I noticed something is missing that I had before - on my old MIB1 (high) system, in the menu to change the function of the assignable steering wheel button (Asterix button next to the volume) I used to be able to choose "skip to next track". That's no longer in the list of commands. Shame, as it's really the only function I want on that button, and one I used all the time when I first found it. My old MIB headunit was a Harman and the MIB2 HU is a Delphi - is this a restriction of the unit, or is it because I'm using a PFL steering wheel with a system designed for a FL steering wheel. Or is it...
So I've got a Audi S3 8V its got navigation and tech pack so its got the larger higher quality screen, I really want the official apple car play and have read quite a few posts on here that have said its very costly to upgrade to MIB2 due to needing to change the screen, console stuff so you have a USB port. The thing I'm getting confused about is I already have a USB port so surely if I upgraded the software to MIB2 I would then be able to have wired apple car play? Please could anyone who knows a lot more than me about this sort of stuff comment :)

I don’t know enough to answer your question but to help those that will know, assume you have pre-facelift, not Facelift?

Reactions: BlakeS3
What year is your car?
Edit: looking at your profile picture, if that’s the car then it’s not possible on a 2014.

Last edited:
This thread

Post #36

This thread

Post #36
Cheers for the post, I know my year doesn’t have it as you can’t have apple car play unless you’ve got MIB2 software but other posts say you need the bigger screen okie change the console so you have a USB port as well, but what I’m trying to get at is because I already have the larger screen plus a USB port, so surely all I need is to upgrade to MIB2 then it can be activated. Really appreciate your help going through that and finding it!

Carplay is only on a MIB 2.

You can install the MIB2 fairly easily as you have the tech pack, if you have the BO system you will also need the later amp and installation bracket.

Are you sure its a USB socket you have and not an AMI port?

Carplay is only on a MIB 2.

You can install the MIB2 fairly easily as you have the tech pack, if you have the BO system you will also need the later amp and installation bracket.

Are you sure its a USB socket you have and not an AMI port?
I don’t have BO. But yeah definitely have a USB port and a AMI port next to tjst underneath my armrest. :)

I don’t have BO. But yeah definitely have a USB port and a AMI port next to tjst underneath my armrest. :)

Yes, that socket needs to be changed to the one with 2 x USB and an AUX port, because you wont have AMI on the MIB2. The USB you have is charge only.

I don't know enough about it, but it's something I'd like to do myself as I'd rather have the OE integrated CarPlay than the aftermarket add-on one, but I was under the impression you needed to change the controls on the console so you had the two-button (silver) controls rather than the four-button controls we (on MIB1) have

I don't know enough about it, but it's something I'd like to do myself as I'd rather have the OE integrated CarPlay than the aftermarket add-on one, but I was under the impression you needed to change the controls on the console so you had the two-button (silver) controls rather than the four-button controls we (on MIB1) have

View attachment 252985

View attachment 252986

You do have to change the Mmi control panel to get proper functionality of Carplay but it can be used without.

The second photo you posted is my photo of my FL panel converted to PFL red LED’s, (FL panels are white and look silly with the pFL dash) which I offer as a service in the Classifieds section.

Where did you find that photo?

You do have to change the Mmi control panel to get proper functionality of Carplay but it can be used without.

The second photo you posted is my photo of my FL panel converted to PFL red LED’s, (FL panels are white and look silly with the pFL dash) which I offer as a service in the Classifieds section.

Where did you find that photo?
I just googled "MIB2 Audi" and it came up. I didn't know the FL panels have white LEDs - definitely look better in red. Do all versions of the MMI controls have a white ring on the click wheel though? Mine does and I thought it would look better in red.

So for a proper retrofit are we saying (ideally): bigger screen display, MIB2 head unit, FL MMI controls and change the AMI port module under the armrest to one with the AUX port and two USB's. Plus all the correct harnesses, plugs etc, coding and, from what I read before, the MIB2 headunit needs to be pre-activated, not a second-hand one pulled from another car.

I just googled "MIB2 Audi" and it came up. I didn't know the FL panels have white LEDs - definitely look better in red. Do all versions of the MMI controls have a white ring on the click wheel though? Mine does and I thought it would look better in red.

So for a proper retrofit are we saying (ideally): bigger screen display, MIB2 head unit, FL MMI controls and change the AMI port module under the armrest to one with the AUX port and two USB's. Plus all the correct harnesses, plugs etc, coding and, from what I read before, the MIB2 headunit needs to be pre-activated, not a second-hand one pulled from another car.
Changing the ring LED is possible but its fraught with danger. It actually looks better as white as it links the panel with the white on the dials.

Used Mib2 units are fine but need to have Component Protection removed and coded to new vehicle.

As mentioned above , if you have BO youll need the later amp and fitting bracket.

The search engine on here is very useful as this is a common retrofit.

I'd like to do it but it seems pretty cost prohibitive. But I would rather have OE implementation than a bolt-on as I've heard the aftermarket kit doesn't sound as good and also you can no longer link your phone to the Audi system via bluetooth - it has to be bluetooth-linked to the CarPlay/Android side of it.

I'd like to do it but it seems pretty cost prohibitive. But I would rather have OE implementation than a bolt-on as I've heard the aftermarket kit doesn't sound as good and also you can no longer link your phone to the Audi system via bluetooth - it has to be bluetooth-linked to the CarPlay/Android side of it.
Budget around 1000-£1500.
I dislike the budget Aliexpress specials myself.

Yes, that socket needs to be changed to the one with 2 x USB and an AUX port, because you wont have AMI on the MIB2. The USB you have is charge only.
I have MIB2 Audi A3, it only has one USB (charge only). I know the system can support carplay but it is deactivated. is There anyway I can activate via longcoding ?

I have MIB2 Audi A3, it only has one USB (charge only). I know the system can support carplay but it is deactivated. is There anyway I can activate via longcoding ?
How are you going to plug your phone in to use Caplay?

How are you going to plug your phone in to use Caplay?
That is what I am wondering If the charge-only USB port is just blocked via software to only charge or if there is missing hardware. In this case, I need to go for a hardware retrofit. I am still wondering what could be the option for me. Just receive my Audi last week.

That is what I am wondering If the charge-only USB port is just blocked via software to only charge or if there is missing hardware. In this case, I need to go for a hardware retrofit. I am still wondering what could be the option for me. Just receive my Audi last week.
No its wired completely differently all it has is a switched 12v power. You will need to replace this as part one.

Reactions: JohnM100
There is a way that can’t be discussed here. I did mine and got working carplay on MIB. Basically you have to retrofit the full USB port and loom, change the firmware, do some tweaking and do some coding.

There is a way that can’t be discussed here. I did mine and got working carplay on MIB. Basically you have to retrofit the full USB port and loom, change the firmware, do some tweaking and do some coding.
I have done some coding and gotten the smartphone interface activated, the only thing left is to install the proper USB interface, which is on order. once I installed I will update how it goes.

I had my 2014 PFL upgraded to MIB2 today, so now have CarPlay activated, up today standard nav maps, etc. All working fine, very happy. BUT! I noticed something is missing that I had before - on my old MIB1 (high) system, in the menu to change the function of the assignable steering wheel button (Asterix button next to the volume) I used to be able to choose "skip to next track". That's no longer in the list of commands. Shame, as it's really the only function I want on that button, and one I used all the time when I first found it. My old MIB headunit was a Harman and the MIB2 HU is a Delphi - is this a restriction of the unit, or is it because I'm using a PFL steering wheel with a system designed for a FL steering wheel. Or is it none of the above and it's something that can be activated/coded in - I'd love to have it back.

I'm popping back to see the guy that installed and activated everything in a couple days, as I'm also missing the option to control the LED lights in the cupholders and footwells that I could do from my old system. He says he should be able to code that in, we just didn't notice it at the time. So if the next track function is something that could be added at the same time, that would be great.

Also, @Dubjam, I may well be wanting to speak to you about getting a red LED conversion done on the new MMI controls at some point, but at the moment I can't PM or reply/comment in the classifieds section.

I had my 2014 PFL upgraded to MIB2 today, so now have CarPlay activated, up today standard nav maps, etc. All working fine, very happy. BUT! I noticed something is missing that I had before - on my old MIB1 (high) system, in the menu to change the function of the assignable steering wheel button (Asterix button next to the volume) I used to be able to choose "skip to next track". That's no longer in the list of commands. Shame, as it's really the only function I want on that button, and one I used all the time when I first found it. My old MIB headunit was a Harman and the MIB2 HU is a Delphi - is this a restriction of the unit, or is it because I'm using a PFL steering wheel with a system designed for a FL steering wheel. Or is it none of the above and it's something that can be activated/coded in - I'd love to have it back.

I'm popping back to see the guy that installed and activated everything in a couple days, as I'm also missing the option to control the LED lights in the cupholders and footwells that I could do from my old system. He says he should be able to code that in, we just didn't notice it at the time. So if the next track function is something that could be added at the same time, that would be great.

Also, @Dubjam, I may well be wanting to speak to you about getting a red LED conversion done on the new MMI controls at some point, but at the moment I can't PM or reply/comment in the classifieds section.

Sadly, as I also found, that option was removed on MIB2 :( you have to use the volume wheel on the MMI controller, and nudge it left or right.

Ill drop you a PM about the LED conversion.

Reactions: JohnM100
Solution
Bummer. That was such a useful feature..!! Saved reaching down for the controls all the time (when you're a prolific skipper like me)

Another annoying MIB2 feature is that when listening to music on SD cards, when an album finishes, instead of moving on to the next album on the card like MIB1 does, it goes back to the beginning of the album you just listened to! This was my biggest annoyance.

Also, funnily, the LEDs in my cupholders and footwell lighting stopped working after my MIB2 install, and then an hour later started working again and have done since.

As mentioned the * button lost the next track option in MIB2 but the steering wheel was revised as well to give you that function next to the volume up/down scroll wheel so it sort of became redundant.

‘nudge to the right’ is a nice way to explain how to do it with the volume knob. Took me ages to work that out when I had my PFL.

Quite annoying as I don’t have the later s/wheel. I know I can reach down to the volume control and nudge it each way, chut invariably that ends up changing the volume (and a thumb click on the s/wheel is always easier). Oh well, such is life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, are the USB ports in the armrest cubby supposed to be permanent live? I noticed my phone continues to charge even after I’ve switched the engine off and taken the key out (I even went so far as to open and close the door and lock the car, and it still charged the phone and showed the CarPlay icon even then).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk