Can I run 245 35 R19 and 235 35 R19 on a staggered set up PS4S tires

Chris S 1245

Reaction score
Hi as the title suggests my rs3 needs new tyres fitting . I was gonna go with the square 235 35 R19 PS4S all around but there seems to be little rim protection . Would 245 35 R19 at the front work on the staggered set up . As I have 255 30 R19 P zeros at the front . Thanks Chris

I'm running ps4s 235/35 Square on oem staggered wheels and there is rim protection. The sidewall is way different to the pirellis, the 235 is much wider with a more lipped and vertical sidewall than the 255 pzeros

I have a square setup of 8.5 wheels (saloon) with 245/35/19 PS4S and they work just fine. There is about 8mm clearance at the tightest point on 3/4 lock at the front. (car is bone stock otherwise)

It rides well on them and it is standard size for the TTRS.

I thought 255/30 was a bit too wide with the PS4S and 245/35 was a better fit. Little bit more sidewall too is no bad thing, combined with the PS4S it rounds off bumps well and makes the harder suspension settings usable.

Overall pleased with them

Just to add to above, the 245/35 is a closer match to the 235/35 than the (non-RO2) 255/30 is but still technically outside the allowable difference for the RS3 and may still give you issues, but it it may be worth trying.

IMHO Best way is still to use RO2 tyres or run a square setup

Only thing would be if you have a PFL I would tend to go with stiffer sidewall not taller. On a FL it is less of an issue.

(sorry just re-read the OP and seen it was asking about a mixed setup)

Just to add to above, the 245/35 is a closer match to the 235/35 than the (non-RO2) 255/30 is but still technically outside the allowable difference for the RS3 and may still give you issues, but it it may be worth trying.

IMHO Best way is still to use RO2 tyres or run a square setup

Only thing would be if you have a PFL I would tend to go with stiffer sidewall not taller. On a FL it is less of an issue.

(sorry just re-read the OP and seen it was asking about a mixed setup)
What is the allowed difference?

What is the allowed difference?
From the Audi book of words:

Permissible differences in tread depth
Difference in tread depth on models with transversely installed
The average difference between the front and rear axle must not be more than 3 mm.
Front axle (average): 2.0 mm
Rear axle (average): 4.0 mm
Difference between front and rear axle: 2.0 mm
Within permissible tolerance of 3 mm

From the Audi book of words:

Permissible differences in tread depth
Difference in tread depth on models with transversely installed
The average difference between the front and rear axle must not be more than 3 mm.
Front axle (average): 2.0 mm
Rear axle (average): 4.0 mm
Difference between front and rear axle: 2.0 mm
Within permissible tolerance of 3 mm
I guess the rolling circumference is for a new tyre!
New tyres have 8mm of tread and you can ware them down to 1.6mm!
Surely thats a greater difference than the few mm quoted?

I guess the rolling circumference is for a new tyre!
New tyres have 8mm of tread and you can ware them down to 1.6mm!
Surely thats a greater difference than the few mm quoted?
Generally you don't wear one tyre down to 1.6mm on its own, leaving the rest at 8mm if you manage to do that then YES they are out of limits. Tyres on my 'Approved Used' Audi were changed for just this reason

On most cars they wear at a similar rate, the tolerance is there to take some variance in wear between sides and axles.