Can I make my s3 have louder blips on upchange?

john71482

Reaction score
I'm not looking to get a new exhaust yet haven't had the car a month yet! I absolutely love it, but I'd love to get them up changes louder! Is there anyway? Without having to spend lots of penny on a new exhaust? Thanks guys!

What mode do you have Drive Select set to?

If you have it in Dynamic, that "opens" a flap in the exhaust system - that will be the loudest

If you don't want to drive in Dynamic all the time, set Individual up to have the sound of Dynamic and drive in Individual.

Either is about the loudest you will get without changing your exhaust

Dynamic setting for Sound gets much louder when the Engine is also set to Dynamic.

Alternative to driving around with Dynamic Engine, which is a little much, just drop the gearshift to S and you also have max noise.

Ive seen somewhere that you can take the spring out of the valve or something, then it is permanently open.

You can unplug the motors that open the valves so they are permenantly open. Makes a small difference apparently

They also seem to get a little louder after the first 2k miles - at least mine seemed to once it loosened up.

Reactions: batch
Mine has 14k miles on and it's very loud. Much louder than my MK7 GTI was.

Anyone have a guide/thread to unplug the mechanism that will keep the valve open?

Not sure if I want to fiddle as I love the sound for a 4 cylinder engine but worth a look :)

Cheers

Dynamic setting for Sound gets much louder when the Engine is also set to Dynamic.

Alternative to driving around with Dynamic Engine, which is a little much, just drop the gearshift to S and you also have max noise.

Yes, for the first few hundred miles to be easier on run in I had the car in individual - with everything on comfort except the sound in dynamic. Imagine how surprised i was to hear the different when everything was in dynamic!

You can unplug the motors that open the valves so they are permenantly open. Makes a small difference apparently
I'm sure the valves run mostly open any way

From one of these links- This is interesting..

Exhaust flaps open mode - VCDS - ( saves manually disconnecting the flaps for those that want a louder fruitier exhaust note- also ensures no VCDS error codes when manually removing and taping up etc )- thx to RGS3 for this.

Exhaust flaps all open

===================
1 – Engine module
Exhaust Flaps deactivate
Byte 9
Bit 2 - Exhaust Flaps installed check box default activated – deactivate it and save as usual.

Its also worth noting that those with brand new cars, that might be a little dissapointed with the exhaust note...many people state that the exhaust appears to sound louder as the car beds in and things loosen up ( 5k upwards and again around 12k or so). From personal experience mine has deff improved with age and the VCDS mod mentioned above is a simple addition as well.

I would say it does get louder with miles.. 19k miles done in mine and sometimes when driving through a street in town with large buildings either side it is actually on the rather loud side.. but I still like it!! :)

Get the centre box cut out had it done on mine £100 from pipewerx.

Sorry about digging up old thread.. But does anyone noticed any decrease in low end response after the VCDS valve mod? Not sure it's just on my head, but it seems a little more sluggish in D auto mode driving around town? Can't stop thinking perhaps the valves are there for more than just to reduce noises?

Reactions: zippster
Sorry about digging up old thread.. But does anyone noticed any decrease in low end response after the VCDS valve mod? Not sure it's just on my head, but it seems a little more sluggish in D auto mode driving around town? Can't stop thinking perhaps the valves are there for more than just to reduce noises?

As you will be aware there are two methods for opening the plugs in the exhaust.

1) Physical removal and tape up out of the way.
2) VCDS tweak to keep them open.

I do not know if physical removal leaves a marginally larger hole (compared to VCDS mod) therefore effecting pressure, leading to what you have described?

As I have only ever used the VCDS mod, thats all I can test for you. I have re-activated my exhaust flaps yesterday via VCDS and the exhaust was noticably quieter in comfort / auto mode. So anyone thinking they cant hear a difference in these modes is missing a trick. Car was definately stealthier, rather than the roar I normally make coming up the road.

I will drive around for a week and see if I notice any performance difference. Certainly first impressions were no real performance difference between the VCDS tweak and standard working flaps.

As you stated it might be an imaginary difference as you are applying less movement on the throttle pedal as it sounds louder, therefore you think you are going faster ?... Or you are too busy listening out for the exhaust sound? ( if that makes any sense ) .. Anyway I will run mine for the week and report back.

Jungle

After quite a few miles with the flaps turned back on I can honestly say I am unable to notice any major performance difference - either way. Car simply flies :redrs4::racer:

MPG is marginally better (1-2mpg) and exhaust is quieter until the throttle is prodded. But otherwise very little difference.

I will probably keep them this way for a bit longer.

Jungle

Reactions: pburv
Thanks Jungle, I think you're right about car being louder making me applying less throttle.. It feels normal to me now after a week or so with the mod. But yeah, MPG seems to suffer a little...

Thanks Jungle, I think you're right about car being louder making me applying less throttle.. It feels normal to me now after a week or so with the mod. But yeah, MPG seems to suffer a little...

No problem... Enjoy

You really think it affects MPG?

You really think it affects MPG?

Its marginal, but yes MPG was slightly better with the flaps only operating over 4k revs- ie stock on my car. Certainly not enough to bother anyone though I suspect.

Its marginal, but yes MPG was slightly better with the flaps only operating over 4k revs- ie stock on my car. Certainly not enough to bother anyone though I suspect.

I can't decide weather to keep them open or closed... i guess ill stay open for now..as engine has 475 miles on the clock and not really giving me good mpg to wrote home about anyways :)

QUOTE="zippster, post: 2774977, member: 48758"]I can't decide weather to keep them open or closed... i guess ill stay open for now..as engine has 475 miles on the clock and not really giving me good mpg to wrote home about anyways :)[/QUOTE]

I am in a similar predicament. MPG to one side...On the one hand I like the quieter exhaust for motorway speeds and I do not always want to announce my arrival (especially at speed) to every place I go... But ....then I miss the extra sound in general and the extra noise around town at low speeds on gentle throttle.. 30-35mph in 3rd / 4th on part throttle for example makes a decent tone with the flaps open... Aaah Its a hard life :footy:

Don't forget the other main reason for this mod! So that you don't have to clean your exhaust tips every couple of days! They're much more even now rather than just the inner ones getting all carbons!

Reactions: pburv and jungle650
well I've just switched the flaps on again (AGAIN!) see how long i last.. I'm on par to get just over 200 miles to this tank at the moment .. i know the majority of that is my driving style of my new toy... but i can't help thinking that 14.9mpg is bad and could be something to do with the exhaust flappies..

or am i just being to impatient as i still haven't hit 500 miles yet.. either way.. just switched them on again..

well I've just switched the flaps on again (AGAIN!) see how long i last.. I'm on par to get just over 200 miles to this tank at the moment .. i know the majority of that is my driving style of my new toy... but i can't help thinking that 14.9mpg is bad and could be something to do with the exhaust flappies..

or am i just being to impatient as i still haven't hit 500 miles yet.. either way.. just switched them on again..

14.9.. Good god thats awful.. I get 28ish around town and mid to late 30's mpg on a normal fast motorway run.

14.9.. Good god thats awful.. I get 28ish around town and mid to late 30's mpg on a normal fast motorway run.

how many miles have you got on yours?

i drove it to centre parcs not long after i got it and got in the 30's .. i think the issue is my commute is 3.1 miles on/off traffic each way.. i dont think I'm going to get a great deal more.. my porsche only managed about 16/17mpg for the past 3 years..

maybe i should stick it in eco :S

Lol..I made every excuse possible in going out with my car when I first got it...I don't think I gave it a second thought on what the mpg was I was having so much fun..As for the flaps if I knew about switching them off/disconnecting them then I should imagine my mpg would have been a lot worse....Either way don't worry about how much 'go go juice' you are using just go out and enjoy...:friends:

Reactions: jungle650 and zippster
how many miles have you got on yours?

i drove it to centre parcs not long after i got it and got in the 30's .. i think the issue is my commute is 3.1 miles on/off traffic each way.. i dont think I'm going to get a great deal more.. my porsche only managed about 16/17mpg for the past 3 years..

maybe i should stick it in eco :S

Indeed its probably barely warm after that mileage. Thats not going to help.

I have 17k on mine now.

Reactions: pburv and zippster
Lol..I made every excuse possible in going out with my car when I first got it...I don't think I gave it a second thought on what the mpg was I was having so much fun..As for the flaps if I knew about switching them off/disconnecting them then I should imagine my mpg would have been a lot worse....Either way don't worry about how much 'go go juice' you are using just go out and enjoy...:friends:

you got it boss!!... must remember i haven't stolen it , its mine, i dont need to drive it like it :)

Reactions: pburv and jungle650
you got it boss!!... must remember i haven't stolen it , its mine, i dont need to drive it like it :)
It,s good to clean out the cobwebs every once and a while though...:whistle2:

Be warned this forum is dangerous... U can end up spending some silly money on your car like a crazed drug addict. ... Its starts small.....

Someone once posted a quote which went something along the lines of... Read forum , think need faster / better car,.. drive car and think no its fine, ...read forum and think need faster / better car,..drive car and think no its fine.. Read forum... Need faster / better car !!!. Repeat repeat :racer:

In all seriousness there are some top people on here.

Enjoy and watch those tweaks/upgrades !

Be warned this forum is dangerous... U can end up spending some silly money on your car like a crazed drug addict. ... Its starts small.....

Someone once posted a quote which went something along the lines of... Read forum , think need faster / better car,.. drive car and think no its fine, ...read forum and think need faster / better car,..drive car and think no its fine.. Read forum... Need faster / better car !!!. Repeat repeat :racer:

In all seriousness there are some top people on here.

Enjoy and watch those tweaks/upgrades !
I have to agree..There's a well known 'poster' on here who has got me interested in an RS3 for my next car......:blink:

I have to agree..There's a well known 'poster' on here who has got me interested in an RS3 for my next car......:blink:

U and me both... Dont ... Must stop reading forum!!!

Reactions: zippster and pburv
U and me both... Dont ... Must stop reading forum!!!
lol..RS3 SEDAN!!........
images
......MUST HAVE IT!!

Reactions: Max-Robbo and zippster