Can I drive my car after removing the passenger seat?

AK47UK

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find out if 8V seats are a straight fit into an 8P so I am thinking of removing my passenger seat and taking the car to someone selling a set of 8V seats to see if they simply fit into place.

Obviously to do this I will be disconnecting the passenger airbag and so an error will appear on the dash. Is VCDs enough to clear this error once the seat has been refitted or is it a dealership jobby? Don't want to cause myself a load of hassle.

I assume even if I disable the passenger airbag then the dash will throw up errors in the self check.

Cheers

do what your doing then clear with vcds when finshed

Reactions: AK47UK
as above the only issue is you will get and error and once you plug your seat back in or the new one just clear the fault and all will be fine again

As far as I know while the airbag light is on the dash all the airbags do not function.

If what I know is correct then you'll be driving it without airbags or seatbelt tensioners.

Will read up about that tomorrow mate, sounds like a bit of a weird feature if true, don't like the idea of not having airbags even if it is only for one journey.

Whether it's true or not I don't know, however it is something I was told when I had a seatbelt tensioner issue in my 8L. Just thought I'd let you know just to be on the safe side.

Never know, might be utter rubbish but someone else might be able to correct it.

I removed it just now, turned off the passenger airbag and there are no errors on the dash. I will still scan with VCDs once finished to make sure the new seats aren't showing any errors :)