Can Dual Mass Flywheel change clutch pedal throw?

chadvaliant

Reaction score
Hi

Do you think that a dodgy flywheel could stop my clutch pedal from fully returning?

If I'm going down a steep hill and I press the clutch in it sometimes feels strange and then it only comes half the way back. I have to put my foot under it to get it fully back.

There is sometimes a slight vibration when I start the car from cold. It only lasts a second.

The car is a 2007 8P S3 with 60000km. I'm assuming everything is as standard as the day it was born.

My mechanic put in a new master cylinder but it didn't help.

The only other change is that I have a whole new Haldex/diff unit. I can't imagine that would effect the clutch though.

Any thoughts?

Anyone? Has no one had a faulty Dual Mass effect their clutch pedal throw?

Hi chadvaliant

ive receently had a stage one clutch put in my 57plate s3.
it was a necessity as the old one started slipping. Before it was slipping i kept saying to my mechanic that the clutch kept changing its biting point and being stiff one point and soft the next. Maybe 4 times the clutch did what your having problems with, but it happened only when driving vigorously.

very long story short i got the new clutch and sent it to be fitted, i got a phone call off my mechanic that afternoon saying i need a new flywheel. The clutch plate and cover were fine, no wear, nothing broken, but the bearing in the dual mass had collapsed. It allowed the plate to move in and out of the flywheel by 5mm, and the springs were worn allowing loads of play.
I obviously had to get a new flywheel. And will be selling the clutch on here later on now that ive got a stage 1 fitted.
basically i would advise having it looked at, the flywheel that is.

its not the end of the world as it cant go anywhere if the bearing is collapsed, as its all bolted up.

i hope this helps you.

That's a quality answer, thanks Briggs.

I guess I'll go ahead and get it looked at. The problem I have is that my warranty company doesn't cover flywheels or clutches. I need to decide if I should sell the car or commit to opening a can of worms. I'm hoping it's the release/throw out bearing because then it's under warranty. Maybe it's even the slave giving up on me and that would be warranty too.

Whatever the cause, I think I like the car enough to spend the money on fixing it but it's a bitter pill to swallow as I just bought the car and I've already had to put in a new diff/Haldex.

Thanks again for your answer.

I've heard people have problems with the Haldex systems on things like the TTRS and such like.
it shouldn't be that expensive, to get a stage one clutch and flywheel fitted it mine the garbage I take it to charged me £190.
And the new flywheel, an LUK same as the original, cost about £280. Not the worst of prices.
And if does turn out to be the release bearing, even better :)
I feel your pain with you only having the car a short while, I've had mine about 10months and the flywheel went. Not really what I wanted to happen but it may have been to do with my style of driving haha
Anyway, I hope it's not something too expensive for you.

Yeah my diff/Haldex wasn't my car's fault. I took it to my local Audi dealer and they drained the diff when they did the Haldex service.

I was quoted about 6 to 8 hours labour at NZ$100/hour to get the clutch/flywheel apart and back together. So that's about 400 quid. The cheapest LUK flywheel I could find was NZ$1200, roughly 600 quid. The clutch was about NZ$600, 300 quid. I'm budgeting for $2800 or 1400 quid all up. I guess we pay more as we have less euro cars here in New Zealand. That's why I'm tempted to sell the car.

Man dont sell it. Get it to about 360bhp and you wont look back. Im gettin mine mapped on the 14th of this month and cant wait.