Can anybody tell me what this part does (see pics)

pure

Reaction score
Here is the remains of a part of my car. Looks like I hit some debris on the motorway amd the middle grill on the front bumper had come off. Inside was this part ratteling around. It looks damaged and I cant see anywhere it could have gone...

The grill is loose, so I am guessing it is somekind of support for the grill.

Part number is:- 909WH, it also says "LOAD - LOK" on it. Here are a couple of pics

I think that first pic may be something used to light fags? not entirely sure though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lmao - sorry, someone would have said it - might as well get it out the way! lol

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
I think that first pic may be something used to light fags? not entirely sure though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lmao - sorry, someone would have said it - might as well get it out the way! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, left the lighter there so you can tell the size of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

t is very small, I cant bend it back by hand either. Do u think some1 has reversed into my bumper at work and broken the grill? I doubt a stone off the motorway could have bent it as badly as it is! Unless it was a brick!

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif you mean b*tch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Not sure exactly mate... have my bumper off many times now and never seen anything like that under there! Maybe the bumper swallowed it off another car?

Roch

Here is the part of the grill that has broken off. see next pic...I appologise for my MS Paint skills in advance.

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif you mean b*tch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ur jealous i beat you to it - Roch! lmao!

hehehehhe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Do you think it could be part of a toe bar eye off the car that possibly broke my grill? My car bites back!

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
Do you think it could be part of a toe bar eye off the car the possibly broke my grill? My car bites back!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be!

Rich

DSCF0008.jpg

broken_part_of_car.jpg

My grill came out the other week and i had a good look behind. Nothing like that in there. It was loose too and i;ve had to superglue it in place as the clips have snapped off somehow.

That part is definalty well bent up and looks quite old and a bit rusty. I reckon its either a bit of road debris mate or off the other car

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
Its not my front tow bar is it?!

[/ QUOTE ]

No,

This isnt ON the car on the S3.... if you remove the drivers side grille, you will see a screw hole. The tow bar )in the boot with jack .etc) screws into this.

Rich

Removed the front bumper 2 weeks ago and ther is no such part as far as i can remember.
At least it is nothing in the bumper itself.
Attaching some pics of how the s3 looks like "naked" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

hmm thanks for the pics. I google'd load-lok...hey make some kind of transit straps...My mate said it might be from a car loader. And it whacked the car on the motorway and got embeded in my bumper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lucky it didn't punch a hole in the rad to be honest if it was debris!

If you ask me it looks like a 'locking pin' of some type off another vehicle. Imagine what it would look like if straightend out (2nd pic especially). It has a wedge shape and large hole is probably something you would put your finger through to pull it out.

Along with the lighter theres alot of tobacco on your table too, your missing the rizla.

I THINK I know what it is. tonight on the way home I got stuck behind a lorry - the shutters that roll up and down have a catch at the bottom, and it looked that sort of shape (only not rusty and bent over!) so it may have been off an old lorry that fell off and smashed into the grill - not sure how it would have bent so much though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I wish I had ma camera with me, but if anyones out and about, try take a peak and see if ya agree.

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This thread should be a mission to solve the mystery.

Camera phones at the ready!

LOL, I'm pretty sure it isn't off my car then...phew!

I'll try and take a look when I see a lorry 2morrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Think curtain side lorry and the row of clips holding the curtain in place (bit like a ratchet strap). Imagine if one of those broke off and the metal part lay in the road for a while being run over numerous time (hence the bending/twisting).

Unlucky you just happened to be following the lorry that 'picked' it up and threw it at your car.

Kev

Does the front bumper have to come off to remove the middle grill, or can it be done while on the car?

Yes it does. Thats why I removed my bumper.
Its quite easy though. Takes just 15 min.
You have four little black plastic fasteners that you see when you open the hood. Just push out the center pin of these with a screwdriver and pull the fasteners up (and try to find the center pins on the ground...
Then you have some (4) torx screws in the wheel arch and 2 more torx under the front and finally 2 phlips screws also under the front.
Then you start pulling out the bumper at the wheel arches straight out and then just pull the whole bumper straight forward 15 cm, and disconnect the cables for the foglights and the hose for the washer nozzles.
The grille is easily removed from the bumper with some clips.

If that bit was of your car would'nt it had an Audi/ VW logo on it?

Hmm, if I took my car back to Audi and tell them that the grill has "fallen off" do you think they will fix it as a warrenty job?

Im driving around, mainly motorway miles with no grill now. I'm worried that some more crap off the motorway will smash my radiator to bits.

I don't think it'll be covered under warranty .. it doesn't fall under the normal category of something failing.. unless you can somehow prove that one of the brackets failed.

if it still in the first year of warrenty it should be covered as with all trim, over a year then its not covered but you may get lucky give it a try

alot cheaper that way than it denting your bonnet or punching a hole in the bumper