Can a garage see when a car was remapped?

scoss

Reaction score
Was wondering if a decent garage could plug some gadget into the car to see if it had a map and when this was done?

Thanks

To give you the short answer “Yes”.

The Ecu stores when any changes have been made to it. So if for example you mapped your car. Something broke so your mapped it back to take it to audi to claim in warranty. The ecu will have time stamped that changes had been made twice.

Reactions: KenL
To give you the short answer “Yes”.

The Ecu stores when any changes have been made to it. So if for example you mapped your car. Something broke so your mapped it back to take it to audi to claim in warranty. The ecu will have time stamped that changes had been made twice.

should have said a non main dealer, as in a general garage that buys and sells. Is this ECU tech bespoke to only main dealers generally?

Car is well outside warranty due to age and mileage.

should have said a non main dealer, as in a general garage that buys and sells. Is this ECU tech bespoke to only main dealers generally?

Car is well outside warranty due to age and mileage.

If it's out of warranty, then why ask? Won't affect anything with an independent dealer, as they won't re-flash your ECU.

If it's out of warranty, then why ask? Won't affect anything with an independent dealer, as they won't re-flash your ECU.

As in Audi warranty. It’s done 109k and I thought that they have a cap at 100k.

so an independent dealer won’t access an ECU normally? I don’t know what is the done thing when selling the car on. Do most get the map removed or just keep it on?

Are you asking because your selling the car? If you are its not really the done thing to plug a car in and check for codes especially not at a car garage. Maybe if you were selling to a audi enthusiast.

A garage may scan it but if they do it will just be for fault codes, to be honest if you were trading it in to audi they probably wouldn’t scan it either as they would just sell it at auction

Are you asking because your selling the car? If you are its not really the done thing to plug a car in and check for codes especially not at a car garage. Maybe if you were selling to a audi enthusiast.

A garage may scan it but if they do it will just be for fault codes, to be honest if you were trading it in to audi they probably wouldn’t scan it either as they would just sell it at auction

yeah I’m looking to sell. It’s a Revo stage 1 so some may see it as a selling point, others/garages may not. Car is so much better for it.

Some mappers claim they can set the ECU back to normal for warranties etc so surely previous work can be hidden?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

The audi garage I bought mine from basically said they check traded in cars for evidence of prior remaps, and if it has been mucked about with they just trade it on rather than put it on the forecourt. Given the mileage on yours they would probably just trade it on anyway since they couldnt really offer an "audi approved" warranty. What I dont know is whether that would affect the trade in value if you admitted it up front. I guess not since its typically pretty low anyway.

When I part exed my 2013 Audi A3 S line in in Feb they said as it had over 70 thousand miles on the clock it goes straight to auction.

Reactions: Damo S
Some mappers claim they can set the ECU back to normal for warranties etc so surely previous work can be hidden?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
This is not possible on newer ECU's including ours. They might be able to put stock / OEM software back on the ECU but the flash counter cannot be reset.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Damo S
Just be honest to the buyer, if you lie and something went wrong and they then found out you may get a brick through the window of your new car.

Reactions: KenL and Damo S